Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carina E - Economy Light..?

phues

Hi guys,

I've noticed that a fair few posts have mentioned a dashboard economy light on the Carina E... I have a 1.8 GS 7A-FE '96 model, and can't say that I've ever noticed one! Now since I don't drive like a loony ALL the time :D and seem to get excellent fuel economy (400m per tank ish) it can't be cos it's drinking petrol...

Where would this light be? Is it labled or what (if not, maybe the bulb has gone!) ? Or is this just for the higher spec models?

Cheers!

Well on the Avensis it's just a bulb. Mine currently doesn't work. It will come on most for example when you are going down hill with no accellerator depression. Or when stationary with the engine ticking over.

Not sure about the Carina E though. :thumbsup:

As far as I know, its not available in the Carina E '96, neither in the Carina E TD. ( If I'm wrong, please correct me!)

Sorry... :crybaby:

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

I have a Carina E '96 too, and there is an economy light near the tachometer in the instrument panel. It is a green light in the shape of the word "Economy" and lights up when the engine inlet vacuum is very high. Find a hill and drive down to get under way, then just lift off the accelerator - if the bulb hasn't gone, it will light up almost immediately!

It's no great shakes really, if you drive a bit energetically, it will only come on briefly.

I get about 380 to 400 miles a tank to, so you can't be driving too bad!!

Tivoli Pete.

P.S. Does yours make any rattly or jingly noises?

:thumbsup:

No odd noises at all (other than what comes out of the stereo :lol: ) - runs sweet as; even with 86k on the clock (does have a FSH). Only thing I can see myself having to spend my hard earned cash on in the near future is the driver's side e. window... Winds up verrrryy slowly!

Is the indicator 'hidden' in the same way as the low fuel light (little orange square next to the fuel guage) in that you can't see it unless it lights up..?

I don't think I'll take the dash apart (how hard is this, btw??) just to change the bulb... maybe at the next service or something...

Cheers

phues.

Only thing I can see myself having to spend my hard earned cash on in the near future is the driver's side e. window... Winds up verrrryy slowly!

Sounds very familiar :yes:

Just reminded me Ive gotta save for that too :crybaby:

Rach x

I have a Carina E '96 too, and there is an economy light near the tachometer in the instrument panel.

Thanks!, U R better informed than me!! :thumbsup:

Cheers

Coyote from BA

Argentina

i have a 97 1.8 with 7Fe engine and the economy light comes on with start up and only goes off when a little excess speed is used when working up through the gears,and stays on even when cruising at 80ish,so i am puzzled at the thought of having to go downhill to see it lit

If you go down hill and let the engine just over run with no foot on the gas, you should get Maximum inlet vacuum, so even if your motor is running at poor economy, it should ensure that the economy light comes on.

The economy light bulb is only accessible by removing the instrument cluster, it has to be weighed up against just how irritating it is to have it not working - at night it can be an irritating glow in your peripheral vision. The bulbs are outrageously expensive, being moulded in to a plastic holder. They are about £5 from a Toyota dealer!! Indicators are "black lights" too, and use a similar bulb.

I've found from experience that removing the instrument cluster from the dash nearly always ends in squeaks and rattles from that point onwards - doh!

Cheers,

Tivoli Pete.

:thumbsup:

Well, I think that pretty much settles it - taking the dash apart and shelling out a fiver just for a bulb is definitely too much just for a light which tells me pretty much what I know already..!

Thanks for all your help & advice guys, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Only the leanburn engine carinas will have the economy light. Our 2.0 exec doesnt have one because of this

My 1.6 lean burn does not have one either. I believe that it is present on some models only. You guys talk about 400 on a tank. How about 350miles on a tank of LPG that costs £18 to fill. Have fun....