Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A Few Corolla Tsport Questions.

luder

Im seriously looking into purchasing an 02 / 03 reg Tsport. This is the pre-facelift model. I have a few question to ask all ye wise owners..

- Do they all have 6-speed gearboxes..?

- Do they all have Traction control as standard or was it an optional extra?

- Was the leather interior also an optional extra.?

- Are the problems regarding the Gearbox and wheel bearings actually very prominent in the Tsport..?

- What colours were available in the pre-facelift Tsports..?

Also if anyone feels like contributing some factors i should be considering if i go to inspect a Tsport, Please Do so..

Thanks in advance for your replies..

Im seriously looking into purchasing an 02 / 03 reg Tsport. This is the pre-facelift model. I have a few question to ask all ye wise owners..

- Do they all have 6-speed gearboxes..?

- Do they all have Traction control as standard or was it an optional extra?

- Was the leather interior also an optional extra.?

- Are the problems regarding the Gearbox and wheel bearings actually very prominent in the Tsport..?

- What colours were available in the pre-facelift Tsports..?

Also if anyone feels like contributing some factors i should be considering if i go to inspect a Tsport, Please Do so..

Thanks in advance for your replies..

I'll try and keep this short and will answer in order:

All t-sports and compressors have 6-speed

TC and VCS came as standard on above models. Gotta keep all that power in check.

Leather was optional extra, i think 1500+ extra!

Gearbox is abit notchy for some, haven't hard about bearing problem from anyone.

There was thunder grey, alcace (sp) grey, sterling silver, carlo blue, racing green, black(dont now the name), sunburst red and i think thats it.

Only real problem people have is the dashboard above the stereo seems to bulge. No amount of fxing or replacing cures it permenantly.

Armz.

Gearbox issues are just noises and generally put down to being "characteristics of the car".

I don't think you could get Alsace Granite on pre-facelifts though. You'll find most are thunder grey. :thumbsup:

The only negative thing I can say about mine is that the short gearing makes it noisy on the motorway. Although even this is probably just 'cause there's so little other noise the engine noise seems louder.

What's the reasoning behind getting a pre-facelift over a facelift model? The facelift has had some changes made to it that make it (imo) a better car.

What's the reasoning behind getting a pre-facelift over a facelift model? The facelift has had some changes made to it that make it (imo) a better car.

And heavier.. i think.

Armz.

Finances man....Cant exactly afford the facelift version right about now..!

Are there any more common problems with the t-sports apart from the dash..? Is it true that the lift bolts are causing problems..?

Are there any more common problems with the t-sports apart from the dash..? Is it true that the lift bolts are causing problems..?

Fair enough if it's a financial issue. It it was anything else (excluding the need for a 5-dr model) I would feel duty bound to convince you to get the facelift ;)

As for the lift bolts, it does appear that the slightest bit of wear on them causes the lift to soften. The good news is that if you are prepared to change them yourself then the bolts cost about a quid to buy from Mr T :)

Fair enough if it's a financial issue. It it was anything else (excluding the need for a 5-dr model) I would feel duty bound to convince you to get the facelift ;)

As for the lift bolts, it does appear that the slightest bit of wear on them causes the lift to soften. The good news is that if you are prepared to change them yourself then the bolts cost about a quid to buy from Mr T :)

Ya financial reasons im afraid...the facelift model does look nice..il have one in the future! But i will make a few subtle changes to the pre-facelift to perk up its appearance slightly ;)

I believe the lift bolt problem was only an issue (breaking and falling into the sump, requiring an expensive rebuild) on the early celica TS engines, by the time these engines were installed in Corollas this was resolved; the rumor appears to have long outlived the problem as i have never heard of a TS owner (Celica, Corolla, Corolla Compressor or lotus) having this problem in the 2yrs i have owned a TS; a couple people have changed them (there is a DIY thread here somewhere) and noticed a little wear on the tip, but the claims of the 'lift' changing after replacing these is (in my opinion of course) wishfull thinking/mind tricks as i cant see how they would affect the power delivery. How much are you looking to spend on one?

toyotaownersclub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=673