Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Windscreen Wipers

stompe

Hi Prius owners. If anyone has read the windscreen wiper tests in Autoexpress you will probably have noticed that Valeo Silenco X-TRM came out best. If you have been trying to get these blades everyone will tell you they do not fit the prius (mine is a 2006 T-spirit) but yes they do. You need for the driver's side UM690 and for the passenger's side UM620. These blades look really great but most of all they perform brilliantly.

I had brilliant service from Natalie at Dorset Auto Spares - www.dorsetautospares.com - very fast delivery.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

I have obtained a Velo silenco X-TRM 20inch model number UM660 for the rear screen. It is a straight fit to the Prius arm, the original was a 16inch so obviously it sweeps a bigger area to give you more rear vision. You may be told it cannot be done but I have done it and like the front valeos it is brilliant.

:)

• 1 month later...
Hi Prius owners. If anyone has read the windscreen wiper tests in Autoexpress you will probably have noticed that Valeo Silenco X-TRM came out best. If you have been trying to get these blades everyone will tell you they do not fit the prius (mine is a 2006 T-spirit) but yes they do. You need for the driver's side UM690 and for the passenger's side UM620. These blades look really great but most of all they perform brilliantly.

I had brilliant service from Natalie at Dorset Auto Spares - www.dorsetautospares.com - very fast delivery.

Hi stompe, it's very nice to hear you having the aero wipers on. I will be doing the same for my Yaris. Just one quick question, are you very sure that UM690 is the one you have on the Prius? I checked that there are 2 types of this length, UM690 and UM691, but I'm not sure of the difference. If it is UM690 I'm buying one straight away. And how much did you get the wiperblade for? Thanks for your help!

• 1 month later...
UPDATE

I have obtained a Velo silenco X-TRM 20inch model number UM660 for the rear screen. It is a straight fit to the Prius arm, the original was a 16inch so obviously it sweeps a bigger area to give you more rear vision. You may be told it cannot be done but I have done it and like the front valeos it is brilliant.

Hi Stompe,

Thanks for that. I've just ordered a Valeo for my rear wiper. I will be very grateful for the extra few inches (steady...) as I always think the standard wiper looks kinda noddyish. Very poor design if you ask me - huge screen tiny little wiper...not brilliant...roll on the Valeo.

How have you got on with yours - still pleased?

Jon

Hi Jon,

The Valeos are still fantastic, especially if you add these tablets, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/303-Instant-windscre...7QQcmdZViewItem,

to the windscreen washer bottle. I have tried many windscreen washer additives these are the dogs *******.

The rear wiper in my opinion wipes the wrong way i.e. left-hand drive but by having the extra "inches" this all helps with that little bit extra rear vision.

Stompe

• 2 weeks later...
UPDATE

Hey Stompe,

Just to say my garage fitted the silenco rear wiper this week and I'm very grateful to you for the pointer. Makes a big difference, you almost don't notice the wiper is hinged from the wrong side! Much better, and very nearly not noddy like at all!

Cheers again - keep the suggestions coming!!!

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Wonderful tip - just replaced mine and very impressed.

• 2 months later...

REPLY TO STOMPE'S RECOMMENDATION: Natalie ain't there no more ... they only got Claire and she ain't familiar with what you suggested - can you confirm that UM690 is Drivers and UM620 Passenger? and that they fit fine? (www.dorsetautospares.com suggests something totally different)

REPLY TO STOMPE'S RECOMMENDATION: Natalie ain't there no more ... they only got Claire and she ain't familiar with what you suggested - can you confirm that UM690 is Drivers and UM620 Passenger? and that they fit fine? (www.dorsetautospares.com suggests something totally different)

We have had this problem with Valeo, I do not think they know what wiper fits what vehicle. I can confirm that what you have said is correct and they fit the Prius. If you want one for the rear it is UM660 which is 20" and covers a bit more than the current 16" one supplied with the car. I think the problem is Valeo's do different types of Wiper Blades - Conventional and the flat blade wiper which is the ones I have got. It would be much more simpler if Valeo's adopted a system where as the codes represented the size of the blade i.e. UM620 would be a 20" blade and not 16", etc, but such is life!

I had Halfords wipers to replace the front wipers. Bad mistake! I keep getting smears when the wipers come back down to rest. I have given the wipers a quick clean in case dirt on the blades was causing the smear - no luck. Waste of 22 quid! I'll have to try the Valeo you guys recommend. :angry:

Excellent tip from Stompe. Thanks!

I have just fitted these to my new BRAND NEW Prius (not even used the factory fitted wipers!) and they look and work great.

At the same time I Rain-Ex'd both the windscreen and the rear tailgate window, so at 50mph the windows clear themselves.

It is a shame that the drivers wiper is 'upside down' (and I cant see a way around this). Maybe there is a Valeo wiper of the same size that is the right way round ?? but for now very happy with this modification.

Hi, Stompe

Thanks for your guidance with wipers. However, I've tried to order them from the Dorset Auto Spares website, but for the rear wiper I have to choose between "driver or passenger". Can you advise, please?

Many thanks.

Keith.

Hi, Stompe

Thanks for your guidance with wipers. However, I've tried to order them from the Dorset Auto Spares website, but for the rear wiper I have to choose between "driver or passenger". Can you advise, please?

Many thanks.

Keith.

Hi Keith,

I never used their website as it was too confusing, the picture shown is not the X-TRM (which is the flat type blade you need). I telephoned them and ordered my three blades over the phone with my credit card. If you ask for Claire when you phone on the Wimborne number and state you want a Valeo X-TRM UM660 then she will send it to you.

Stompe :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, Stompe - they're now on the way to me. :yahoo:

Regards,

Keith.

UPDATE

They've now arrived and been fitted (despite a problem with one blade which was quickly resolved by Dorset Autospares).

Thanks for your help.

All I need now is some rain! B)

Regards.

Keith.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading about these windscreen wipers on this forum i purchased the three required at 2:15 pm on monday from dorset autospares and by 9 am tuesday they were with me. Well done that company!

fitted them and yep one appeared to be upside down the drivers one. Never mind using a tiny screw driver the little plastic bits all come off and the wiper can be disaamlbed ; then reasembled so it fits correctly . piece o' cake.

testingg in the rain ..marvellous clear windscreens. a point to remember.... if you get polish or motorway slime grime on the windscreen the view can still be smearery? U need to de grease the glass well

How to degrease? Just use soapy water and wipe hard?

Hi Jon,

The Valeos are still fantastic, especially if you add these tablets, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/303-Instant-windscre...7QQcmdZViewItem,

to the windscreen washer bottle. I have tried many windscreen washer additives these are the dogs *******.

The rear wiper in my opinion wipes the wrong way i.e. left-hand drive but by having the extra "inches" this all helps with that little bit extra rear vision.

Stompe

Thanks for the great tip about reversing the blade. In my opinion after having the blades for a while now the yellow wear indicators are a bit premature i.e. mine are just going into the yellow but the blades are still fine (might try and remove the wear indicators). As regarding to degreasing the screen, (as previously said in this thread) I find these tablets to be the best washer additive I have found and I have tried a few. This seems to get the screen squeaky clean.

Stompe

fitted them and yep one appeared to be upside down the drivers one. Never mind using a tiny screw driver the little plastic bits all come off and the wiper can be disaamlbed ; then reasembled so it fits correctly

Just had a look at this and although the pivot case comes off easily enough, I cant see a way of removing the metal pivot from the wiper blade and turning the blade the other way around (might have been a long day !) - Any clues ? I assumed you had been able to turn the blade thru 180 deg so that the aerofoil is correct

Thxs

Russ

fitted them and yep one appeared to be upside down the drivers one. Never mind using a tiny screw driver the little plastic bits all come off and the wiper can be disaamlbed ; then reasembled so it fits correctly

Just had a look at this and although the pivot case comes off easily enough, I cant see a way of removing the metal pivot from the wiper blade and turning the blade the other way around (might have been a long day !) - Any clues ? I assumed you had been able to turn the blade thru 180 deg so that the aerofoil is correct

Thxs

Russ

Russ

The wiper blade rubbers fit around the metal pivot. To shange the rubber around; 1st remove end plastic clip, then remove plastic cover over metal pivot . now genly remove complete rubber wiper. Turn it around and refit back in reverse order. check wiper is secure before fitting back to the car.

for help in degreasing the windscreen can't beat pure white vinegar and its cheap 2.......

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links