Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3dr Yaris Vs Baby Seat

MATT.D

Now then guys i'm looking for a bit of advice. My missus drives a very nice 53plate 3dr yaris t-sport. Has anyone any ideas which is the best/easiest baby seat (newborn)to get into the car because its a real pain. The easiest way would be to turn the p/s airbag off but everyone sayes its not possible.Any advice would be appriciated!!!

It's never easy Matt, especially in a 3 door, we have a Britax seat for the grandkids and tend to leave it in the Yaris most of the time, once in place it stays there! It has to be said that although it is difficult getting your littleun in the back of a 3 door, it is by far the safest place to be, I have never been a fan of baby seats on the front seat, I have been in the motor trade for too many years!

Kingo :thumbsup:

It's never easy Matt, especially in a 3 door, we have a Britax seat for the grandkids and tend to leave it in the Yaris most of the time, once in place it stays there! It has to be said that although it is difficult getting your littleun in the back of a 3 door, it is by far the safest place to be, I have never been a fan of baby seats on the front seat, I have been in the motor trade for too many years!

Kingo :thumbsup:

totally agree- I'd dismiss the front seat child seats. No - with the earlier models you can't disable the airbag. If you do ( by non-standard means) then in the unfortunate event of an accident and it's found that the airbag didn't deploy due to being "deactivated" well think you know the rest.

I bought 3 seats in the end and they stay in mine, Wife's and in-laws cars permenently. Saves on the messing about, but much easier with this ISO-FIX connections now.

Now then guys i'm looking for a bit of advice. My missus drives a very nice 53plate 3dr yaris t-sport. Has anyone any ideas which is the best/easiest baby seat (newborn)to get into the car because its a real pain. The easiest way would be to turn the p/s airbag off but everyone sayes its not possible.Any advice would be appriciated!!!

I would agree with the previous advice, although I think I am correct in saying the airbag can be de-activated by disconnecting a module in the engine bay, near the front headlight. I would think very hard before doing so, though. Perhaps check it is legal and safe (Not gonna set the bag off) . :(

Same advice here. Keep the kids in the back it's a bit more of a pain but the safest place to be.

Another thing is the seatbelt lockout that is only fitted to the back seats. If you haven't discovered this, pull your rear belts all the way out. Now when the belt is reeled in it won't pull back out (you can hear the rachet as it goes back in), this is to ensure a good hold of the car-seat is made that won't relax as soon as you let go of the belt.

We have 3 Britax booster seats (Britax Hi-Liner) for our 4 year old (1 in each of our cars and the 3rd in the grandparents) and for our 18month old we have 2 Britax First Class SI's , this one can be used from birth and can face both ways. One problem we had with the yaris was the seatbelt clip doesn't quite sit very well when facing forwards (looks liek too much side strain on the clip) Fortunately on the first class you can reroute the belt so the clip is being pulled up rather than sideways.

If your Yaris has Isofix I would recommend one of these:

Britax Cozy Tot Isofix

We found it very easy to use because it just clicks into / out off the base. No messing with seat belts.

Hope this helps.

Another thing is the seatbelt lockout that is only fitted to the back seats. If you haven't discovered this, pull your rear belts all the way out. Now when the belt is reeled in it won't pull back out (you can hear the rachet as it goes back in), this is to ensure a good hold of the car-seat is made that won't relax as soon as you let go of the belt.

I'd add be carefull with this! We literally nearly had to cut the belt to get the seat out, as it was that tighly fixed in, and there was no slack on the belt to get it off the chair (even when the belt was un-done) due to how the belt wrapped around the sides of the child seat.

Vipes

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links