Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wipers On Saloon

Havard

Have never owned a saloon car before - always had hatches. I like the shape - it's more car shaped (my wife calls me old fashioned). Problem is that when it rains the back window gets very difficult to see through - I miss my back wiper. Why don't saloons have wipers and can you get one fitted?

I keep a squeegee in the boot for when I need to look in my rear. It's a pain, but why would you want to ruin the lines of your car with an ugly wiper taking up half the rear windscreen?

The reason you dont tend to get them on saloons is the motor is difficult to place and can take up quite a bit of space, they also look a bit naff on saloons, although a few do have them like the upper spec old shape Primera's. Try waxing the rear window then the water should just bead off it and make it easier to look out of.

Have never owned a saloon car before - always had hatches.  I like the shape - it's more car shaped (my wife calls me old fashioned).  Problem is that when it rains the back window gets very difficult to see through - I miss my back wiper.  Why don't saloons have wipers and can you get one fitted?

I know exactly what you mean. I prefer the saloon shape, but the lack of a rear wiper does get annoying. I found that once you get a bit of speed up the rear window clears itself well enough, but in town on a rainy day it gets :censor: difficult. I can't jump out at the traffic lights each time to squeegee my window :D

As another poster said, some saloons do have rear wipers. I find they look strange, but then again it could be that we're just not used to them.

The things we put up with for style... :P

yannick

Yeah try the wax idea, or RainX. Works a treat! I do my side windows with it (when I can be bothered!) :lol:

Yeah try the wax idea, or RainX. Works a treat! I do my side windows with it (when I can be bothered!) :lol:

Yeah - forgot to mention that :rolleyes: I meant to suggest Rain-X too. It works wonders on the windscreen so I don't see why it shouldn't work on the other windows too.

yannick

Thanks for your helpful adivce.

I too have the squegee(?) and have tried RainX (wasn't that impressed - I'll try again). Both work to a degree but are not as good as a wiper! Still I made my choice and I'm stuck with it unless anyone wants to swap a for a hatch!

Well - I haven't used RainX for a few years, but when I used it on my windscreen I hardly ever used the wipers, even when it was really :censor: down.

As I said in a previous post - the things we put up with for style :P

they don't have them because;

1. they don't need rear wipers, rain slides off the back windows.

2. I saw a KIA saloon with a rear wiper yesterday, HAHAHA! :lol:

Thanks for your helpful adivce.

I too have the squegee(?) and have tried RainX (wasn't that impressed - I'll try again). Both work to a degree but are not as good as a wiper! Still I made my choice and I'm stuck with it unless anyone wants to swap a for a hatch!

I still use Rainx brill stuff the thing is to apply it just as the instructions say other wise it does appear not to work properly.

It does seem wierd when you go down the road and every bodys got the wipers going flat out and you don't have yours on.

The higher spec ford orion's had them too!

Sorry for mentioning the horrible F word! :lol:

Well the rain certainly did not slide of my back window when I used Rain X and I thought that I followed the intructions properly. Any tips for applying it then?

I would have thought It would be better on the front window to be honest. It kinda relys on a bit of wind to sort of blow the rain off. It's kinda like puttin wax on your paintwork, it just allows the water to bead better.

:thumbsup:

Of course you could just do like most BMW and Audi drivers do and be totally oblivious to any other cars on the road :angry: Especially in the BMW lane of the Motorway :arrgg-matey:

Of course you could just do like most BMW and Audi drivers do and be totally oblivious to any other cars on the road

sounds like a good plan to me :D :lol:

The main reason for saloons not having them is of course...

£££

Isn't it always?...

The other main reason is aerodynamics. The shape of a hatch back tends to pull a lot of spray and grime up onto the rear window, obscuring your vision and making sure you cant see those flashing blue lights tailing you. The same thing happens on a saloon, but the majority of the spray and grime hangs onto the rear bumper, taillights, and bootlid. by comparison the rear window is far less exposed in comparison to a hatch.

The main reason for saloons not having them is of course...

£££

Isn't it always?...

The other main reason is aerodynamics. The shape of a hatch back tends to pull a lot of spray and grime up onto the rear window, obscuring your vision and making sure you cant see those flashing blue lights tailing you. The same thing happens on a saloon, but the majority of the spray and grime hangs onto the rear bumper, taillights, and bootlid. by comparison the rear window is far less exposed in comparison to a hatch.

As to the money - you are of course right.

<RANT>

But the second argument p :censor: s me off. Fundementally you are right, and on the motorway I have absolutely no need for a rear wiper in my saloon car, when I would continually have it on in my old 205. But what gets me mad is that it always assumes that the car is moving. In town the saloon's back window gets just as difficult to see out of as a hatchback's.

I remember SAAB in the early 80's saying that the 900 hatchback didn't need a rear wiper because the aerodynamics of the car would keep the window clear. They were right... as long as you were travelling at least 30mph. Up until then you had zero vision :angry: Finally they started putting a rear wiper on sometime in the mid to late 80's

</RANT>

Well, got that off my chest :D

yannick

In my old cavalier saloon I used to turn on the heated rear screen which cleared the rain reasonably well at any speed.

Sorry about that folks, I was feeling rather stressed and got carried away. :!Removed!:

GSB - I hope you didn't think that the rant was against you, it's just against the manufacturers

Yannick