Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Shock Absorber Question

cubix

I have a 96 carina 1.6 petrol carina E saloon with 220'000 miles on it. While driving and if I go over a bump/pothole you get a knock noise/rough ride. I have checked the underside and cannot find anything lose or knocking (wheel bearings/anti roll bar etc). I know due to the high mileage people would say shock absorbers but when the garage replace the shocks they only do the strut?. And this part only dampens, as in it stops the bouning effect, does the spring actually do the shock part and if so is it worth looking at this end?. Would really appreciate anyone who did their shocks to reply

Thanks

Have you taken it to a garage yet?

The springs absorb the bumps in the road. But so do the dampers (struts). The dampers work on both the up and down strokes. Have you checked for leaks? There may be liquid/oil/dampness behind the rubber boot which you can reach inside the coiled springs. Putting the wheels on full-lock will improve access.

It is possible that the springs are also worn. However, if they have, it is unlikely that they will have worn evenly. At rest check the ride height on both the offside and the near side. The gap between the top of the wheel arch and the tyre or rim is a good measurement. If there is a significant difference between the sides you may wish to consider getting new springs. Either way a decent garage should be able to test the springs for compression once they are off the car rather than just consigning them to the bin.

The standard advice was to get both shocks done at the same time (for front at least). Modern cars (yours included) can get away with replacing one if the defect is due to a leak. If the wear in the shocks is due to general age (yours does have high mileage) it may be better to get both sides done even if you are able to identify which strut is leaking. Copy parts are widely available.

Struts are around £40-50 a corner. Expect to pay a bit more per spring. Labour is 3-4 hours for both sides (MAX)

Have you taken it to a garage yet?

The springs absorb the bumps in the road. But so do the dampers (struts). The dampers work on both the up and down strokes. Have you checked for leaks? There may be liquid/oil/dampness behind the rubber boot which you can reach inside the coiled springs. Putting the wheels on full-lock will improve access.

It is possible that the springs are also worn. However, if they have, it is unlikely that they will have worn evenly. At rest check the ride height on both the offside and the near side. The gap between the top of the wheel arch and the tyre or rim is a good measurement. If there is a significant difference between the sides you may wish to consider getting new springs. Either way a decent garage should be able to test the springs for compression once they are off the car rather than just consigning them to the bin.

The standard advice was to get both shocks done at the same time (for front at least). Modern cars (yours included) can get away with replacing one if the defect is due to a leak. If the wear in the shocks is due to general age (yours does have high mileage) it may be better to get both sides done even if you are able to identify which strut is leaking. Copy parts are widely available.

Struts are around £40-50 a corner. Expect to pay a bit more per spring. Labour is 3-4 hours for both sides (MAX)

Thanks for the detailed reply Gazza. No havent look at a garage yet but that will be the next step.Will have a look for leaks tomorrow,is it the springs that keep the car up and level when standing still. When I push on a corner it depress pretty easy and comes up quick enough too

Cubix

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links