Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

What Is This Switch On My Dashboard

stacko111

Hi, newbie owner so excuse if this is a stupid post.

I've just bought a '92 G-Limited Jap Import MR2 MKII, there's a switch on the underside of the dashboard next to the fog lights and I have no idea what it does. It's like a light switch and lights up green when on, I'm taking a punt that it might be something to do with demisting headlights or mirrors but its a complete guess.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

jack

Hi. Welcome to TOC.

Not a stupid post at all, but sorry, I don't think I can help with your question, apart from idle speculation.

My UK model has its front and rear fog switches together, then next to those the headlight leveller, and then cockpit light dimmer. Nothing else.

Could it possibly be anything to do with the auto turn function that the driving lights have on some MR2s? I don't know if that's switchable, or exactly which cars have it. I'm pretty sure mine hasn't.

I'm sure someone who knows the answer will be along soon.

Thanks for the response, I've done some further investigation and have found that the switch is only active wehn the headlights are turned on so it must be something to do with them.

I've taken a picture to show what I mean. Switching the swich on and off doesn't do anything noticable to the headlights so I'm thinking that it is maybe a demister?

Any other ideas would be much appreciated - picture is below!

DSC00172.JPG

Rear foglight switch almost certainly.

Jap models don't have rear fogs but you have to have them by law here so people just bung any old switch in when they import them :)

You'll either have an aftermarket rear fog light hanging down (or tucked up behind or maybe just broken off) the rear bumper or it'll turn some of your brake lights on to act as a rear fog.

Cheers guys, I've looked and the switch doesn't turn any more rear lights on but there could be a bulb gone or something.

Thanks for your answers - very helpful!

• 3 months later...

Turn on your lights and your foglights, have a walk around the car and see which lights are on. Then flick the unidentified switch and check again. You will probably find it will turn off your rear fog lamp. Mine is the same its an after market switch added to allow you to drive with front fogs on without the rear.

Mine has a black switch with a green light on it... Havent messed about with it much but its in the same area. My car is a UK spec tho and has rear fogs? and no front fogs... Ideas?

*sorry for the thread hyjack Stacko*

Not all Mk2's had front fogs!

When I fitted my Border nose I put my import foggs on eBay and got loads for them! I dont even like them!

Not all Mk2's had front fogs!

When I fitted my Border nose I put my import foggs on eBay and got loads for them! I dont even like them!

Yeah i know, i was just putting it so that if anyone wanted to give any ideas as to what it could be they'd know no fogs have been fitted :)

• 11 months later...
Hi, newbie owner so excuse if this is a stupid post.

I've just bought a '92 G-Limited Jap Import MR2 MKII, there's a switch on the underside of the dashboard next to the fog lights and I have no idea what it does. It's like a light switch and lights up green when on, I'm taking a punt that it might be something to do with demisting headlights or mirrors but its a complete guess.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Jack

just got mine today..same switch...have ordered a drivers manual...if it explains it will post answer here

It will be an aftermarket, probably bodged rear fog light.

I had seen some shocking installations in my time!

• 14 years later...

I'm fully aware this thread is older than dirt but to answer the OP's question, one direction Is static fog lights on and the other direction activated the motorized directional fog lights(the switch is meant for the optioned out GT and perhaps the gts with the motorized fog light option 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links