Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla 1.6 Vvti 2000 Engine Swap?

MacDaddy

How hard is it to fit a 1zz-fe engine from a MR2 into my Corolla ?

I have a Corolla from 2001, the 3zz-fe I have feels a bit dull, so some more power would be nice.

What has to be changed to fit the new engine ?

Anyone done this ?

And the last time I asked about my car, someone told me that there is no 3zz-fe engine. That's not true, 3zz-fe is the european verision of the 1.6L engine, with VVT-i.

i have the same engine as you, just put a chiptuning on it, a k&n filter 3322??, put the cats out, put iridiumplugs in it denso ik16, and it will go mucht better

• 2 weeks later...
How hard is it to fit a 1zz-fe engine from a MR2 into my Corolla ?

I have a Corolla from 2001, the 3zz-fe I have feels a bit dull, so some more power would be nice.

What has to be changed to fit the new engine ?

Anyone done this ?

And the last time I asked about my car, someone told me that there is no 3zz-fe engine. That's not true, 3zz-fe is the european verision of the 1.6L engine, with VVT-i.

you can put the 1zz-fe in your car.. you just need a "piggyback" on your computer in the car..

a tuning firm can do that for a little price.. not mutch

the 1zz-fe also is in the celica...

143 hp / 170 nm--- thats better then 110 hp and (can remamber the rigt nm think its 145nm

if you then put a turbo on you car later with 0.6 bar.. it will get it up to 200hp and 270 nm :D

• 9 months later...
i have the same engine as you, just put a chiptuning on it, a k&n filter 3322??, put the cats out, put iridiumplugs in it denso ik16, and it will go mucht better

what is chiptuning and where can i get it

Where did you get a k&n for it? Or is it only a replacement panel filter?

nice choice in engines the 1zz-fe is an awsome engine..i was also looking into it for my corolla, but i couldn't find any at the wreckers..oh well :crybaby:

• 4 months later...

3ZZ-FE to 1ZZ-FE should be a very simple swap. A Celica ECU should swap in place of the 3ZZ-FE ECU. Here in the states, all our E11s had 1ZZ-FEs. Fairly efficient engines for the power they make. From what I've seen, power rivals what a Silvertop 4A-GE 20V really puts out, and torque is absolutely outstanding. I've driven my friend's 2001 ZZE110 Corolla (5-speed), and it's quite quick (A few U.S. magazines have gotten 0-60 mph times of 8.3 seconds!).

Have to start looking after JDM engine project, that 'torque' is more to my taste than horses at high rpm... :)

• 3 years later...

I want to put a 1zz-fe in my corolla. Will that engine work with the same 5 speed transmission that I was using with my 3zz-fe engine?

why bother fitting the 1zz? nowt special about it. buy a t sport! think of all the other upgrades you would have to do - doesnt make financial sense when you could trade yours for a cts and probably work out cheaper and a lot less hassle

if it's an zze111 (the round shape facelifted) drop a 2zz-ge in there, that would be sweet!

• 1 month later...

im thinking to throw 1ZZ-FE crank to 3ZZ-FE, wonder will it fit. There is 2 thing in question mark. 1ZZ crank was longer throw hence im not sure is 3ZZ deck height same as 1ZZ otherwise my piston will be all the way out frm deck. Another is compression ratio. 3ZZ was having higher compression ratio then 1ZZ. Should i fit in 1ZZ crank into my 3ZZ bottom, how will my compression be?

i don't think it will work, as you really need the con rods to go with the crank otherwise you'll probably smash the pistons on the cylinder head from the extra throw. try swapping the 3zz pistons into a 1zz if you want to take advantage of the upped compression

hi 4afte,

yeah, this is what i thought too. the extra 1mm throw will need to go somewhere. So i may need to looking into swapping entire block over or engine unit over. Well reason why im not really favor into later option due to needed to swap the 1zz-fe ecu and not sure yet on wiring may need to swap over as well. Im trying to keep the job as minimal as possible.

1ZZ-Fe and 3zz-fe both running on chain belt? Can 3zz-fe head match 1zz-fe bottom?

Sorry for asking this much coz i used to have 4a-fe then swap in 7A block and TC it. I didnt even need to change wiring or ecu when i swap the block over. It was so much fun back then. Hope this ZZ engine gen able to let me do so

yeah both those engines are chain driven timing, not sure how different the head are tho so i don't know if a straight swap is possible?

• 10 years later...

Hi Guys. hope you guys are still on this post. I upgraded from a 3zz,1.6 to 1zz, 1.8. Car runs very well but when doing diagnostic for engine code it reads the 3zz still and not the 1zz. I have a engine check light coming on and off and need to read codes on 1zz. What can the problem be? thanks. Still using the same ecu from the 3zz

• 1 year later...

I swapped the head and block onto my 3zz tranny...works good ....but to get the power of the 1zz what do I do?