Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maintenance/improvements - 4.3 Rear Camera Installation Part 1

shcm

This installation refers to 4.3 XT5 and T180 models fitted with the "B9004" full screen Sat Nav head unit. These are vehicles from start of production to at least present date (Nov 2007) and probably beyond.

Background

The B9004 has the capability to display the image from a rear view camera or any other PAL/NTSC video source. The XT5 and T180 models also have the camera harness wiring already installed from the head unit to the inside of the rear door.

There are six signals to/from the head unit which are involved. The six signals at the rear connectors of the head unit are:

BTCY : back door courtesy switch on pin 1 of 24 way head unit connector E54 (light green wire)

REV : reverse gear select on pin 5 of 5 way head unit connector E57 (red wire)

CGND : camera supply ground on pin 21 of E54 (red wire)

V+ : camera video signal on pin 22 of E54 (white wire)

V- : camera video signal gnd on pin 23 of E54 (a screen/braid wire)

CA+ : camera positive supply on pin 24 of E54 (a black wire)

More importantly, four of these signals appear on a connector called S7 inside the rear door. The S7 connector is shown below:

90980-12382.png

S7 is a 6 way connector. Those signals that connect to S7 from the head unit are:

CGND : connects to CGND on S7 (pin 3)

V+ : connects to CV+ on S7 (pin 2)

V- : connects to CV- on S7 (pin 1)

CA+ : connects to CB+ on S7 (pin 4)

pins 5 and 6 on S7 are unused. The Toyota part number for S7 is 90980-12382. So far we have not managed to source the other mating half of the S7 connector, so alternative connectors have been home-made (see installs below).

When reverse gear selection is detected via REV, 6 Volts is supplied from the head unit to the camera via CA+ (CB+) and CGND. The camera video signal is input to the head unit via V+ and V-. If the back door is detected open via BTCY, then if reverse is also selected at the time, a door open message is displayed on the head unit in place of the camera video signal.

For a non-Toyota after-market camera, it is likely to require a 12V supply and not the 6V supply that the Toyota camera would appear to accept. A suggested place to pick up the 12V is from the reversing light supply (see Darkside's installation below). V- should also be connected to CGND.

Although the B9004 unit appears to accept both a NTSC and PAL video input, a NTSC camera is recommended. Don't forget you might also want a reversed image camera and one that works in low light conditions or has infra red LEDs for night time use.

OK, that's enough theory, what you really want is the installation. The following is JHRC's installation into a XT5.

JHRC's XT5 Install

I cut some circuit board that you can buy from Maplin, the pin I got from a burnt out interface unit from my work, but I am sure you can buy them from Maplin, the video cable came from accessories that come with your home DVD player, solder the pins onto circuit board cut one of the plugs of the video cable and bare back the cable, solder to the circuit board. I then used rubber sleeves to insulate the plug.

P1000928.jpg

I used 6 pins but you only need 4, I haven't mentioned what position you solder the wire to, as shcm already covered this.

Connect the plug to S7 socket secure video cable and feed it down to the wiring that comes into rear door, right hand corner, push video plug through flexible rubber into where right hand light cluster is, this has an access cover for changing bulbs.

P1000907.jpg

P1000906.jpg

My 12v supply come presently from the rear accessories socket, but will try to take this from reversing lights, earth is bolted to body using a 6mm eye crimp.

P1000912.jpg

Now the camera I bought various ones CMOS and CCD sensors, PAL or NTSC from eBay, but ended up using a NTSC camera with a Sharp 1/3 CCD image sensor from eBay (Backupeyes from Baldwin Education) this a UK company with very fast delivery, Prices approx. £40,

Rear view CCD camera, night vision reversing camera, (#330182485033)

P1000580.jpg

This was fitted below the bumper on right hand side of number plate, 2 X 4mm hole were drilled into bumper to secure camera bracket and the camera cable was fed behind bumper to the right and tied to existing cables. On the right hand corner below bumper above exhaust tail pipe there is a vent flap which you feed the cable into and comes in near light cluster, this is where to connect the video and power cable.

P1000914.jpg

P1000920.jpg

P1000921.jpg

P1000910.jpg

Continued in Part2.................................

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mechman

• TomPL

• kanulondon

• dazuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hard work to have a 12v power supply for the rev camera.

You could cut the CA+ (black cable) at the unit's back side (E54 pin 24). Connect the REV signal (E57 pin 5) 12v+ with the part of black cable which goes to S7 (pin 4) connector so you will have 12v+ on pin 4 and CGND on pin 3.

:) Fabrizio

Hard work to have a 12v power supply for the rev camera.

You could cut the CA+ (black cable) at the unit's back side (E54 pin 24). Connect the REV signal (E57 pin 5) 12v+ with the part of black cable which goes to S7 (pin 4) connector so you will have 12v+ on pin 4 and CGND on pin 3.

:) Fabrizio

Hard work ? You have lost me there. Power for the camera was straight forward. (1)+ feed into reversing light circuit in rear access panel and (2) -/ground to earth a few cms away, no other connections necessary other than video+ and - to the connector in the back door :thumbsup:

• 3 years later...

guys,

can someone reupload the pictures to the forum?

i want to make it too!

if you do not mind, i can make a PDF from it then...

thanks a lot!

can someone reupload the pictures to the forum?

The photos were linked to JHRC's photobucket account and he has probably moved them - They are his photos. You could try PMing him, but I don't remember seeing him here for quite a while.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1 for updated photos / guide!

Alex I have a cunning plan You work out how to do this rear camera job And We can do them together ?? By that what I really mean is that I will stand drinking tea while You carry out the installation ?? Well I like the cunning plan In fact Big Kev can come over so long as He brings His own cup and something to lean on ??............... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wee Charlie the tea drinker .....

I am still waiting for that rear camera to arrive! That store on eBay said that will be here in 7_15 days, but it passed over 25 and still nothing. No chance to mount it too soon :D, but after i receive it I will post some pictures. Thank you very much for your help, it is so much easier when you know what to search for!

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, I have done the rear camera mod this morning and will post up once the board is back up and working.

Right Guys,

Here's what i did today (I have a 57 plate T180 with the B9004 satnav unit in it).

Removal of rear door trim.

Open rear door and remove the trim. All the trim pieces are attached by poppers that just prise off - take care - i used a blunt knife wrapped in insulation tap to stop damge to trim or paint work.

Take off the top centre section first that runs across the top of the window.

Now remove the side sections - these are clipped into the large bottom section so take care.

Remove the large lower section (grey plastic) and after all the clips have been undone undo the connector for the door interior ligh fitting (its the only wire attached to the panel your removing).

Removal of plastic covering

The inner workings of the rear door are covered by clear poly sheet - peel this back carefully from the black sticky sealant so that you can re-fit it once done.

Location of "S7" connector

The S7 connector that you need for this job ios located on the RHS of the door. Trace the main loom that traverses the middle of the door - as it gets towards the right hand side it splits into 3 smaller looms.

One of these looms runs to a white plug towards the edge of the door. The other 2 looms double back into the door panel and attach to the inside of the door via a popper. Remove the popper and take a look athe the 2 looms, one goes off into the number plate region and the other terminates at a connector block - this is the S7 connector we need.

DSCF2850.jpg

Connector pin out diagram

DSCF2851.jpg

The pins on the S7 connector are labeled (on the back of it in small numbers).

1 - black wire with gold dot - camera video signal ground

2 - White wire - camera video signal output

3 - Red wire - camera power supply ground

4 - Black wire with blue dot - camera power supply (6v from HU)

5 - not used , no wiring

6 - not used , no wiring

Cutting of connector

I decided that the easiest way to attach my camera was to cut the S7 connector off and use spade connectors for each wire. If you do this make sure you mark each wire as the black wires with a gold or blue spots can be hard to tell once you cut.

Wiring the Camera

I had a spare camera from an old CCTV system that i used for this test. I have now ordered an eBay item and will update as and when i install it.

My camera has 4 3 wires :

Red - Power supply

Black - ground

White - video signal out

*i shared the ground of the power and video signals to connect to the 4 wires from S7

..........Red ------------ Black/Blue

..........Black ---------- Red

..........................\--- Black/Gold

..........White ---------- White

Wiring of camera eBay

When my eBay camera arrives it will br 12v not 5v so i will need to modifiy the above.

I will still connect video signal output (if it has an RCA connector then this is the wire attached to the middle pin) to the White wire

I will also keep the video signal ground (RCA connector wire attached to the outside circular sheath) to the Black/Gold

I will blank off the Black/Blue and the Red wires as these are no longer required.

I will connect the power feed for the camera to the reversing light 12v feed.

Testing

Thats all there is to it. Rebuild the rear door and tested. Note, my camera was located inside the vehicle looking out the window just as a test - the final ebay install will be in the number plate housing as is decribed elsewhere.

Cool!!!!

So are you guys saying any camera will work, and I DONT need a AVC lan interface for the camera?

My unit is a B9001 but does seem to have a camera input on the back of the HU, I will check for wiring in the door but this is not a problem if my sat nav unit will accept any camera.

We im 99% the ebays ones will all work and mine that i found in my scrap electricals stuff worked so guessing most cmos/ccd mini cams running 5-12v with a std composite video out should work.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm obviously being a little simple here.... i cannot find the S7 connector... where should it be???

Cheers.

S7 connector... where should it be???

It's very often out of sight. The one in the picture looks like it has been pulled out. It's very often behind one of the inner metal door struts (Probably the one to the left of the connector in the picture).

DSCF2851.jpg

Ah right, i was looking in the wrong place. Now just to figure out what camera to buy.. is night vision (IR LEDs) required or are the reversing lights strong enough???

Cheers.

Weblers

I like number 2 Camera, not sure about the pal thing, but im sure pal produces a better picture, better resolution?

Ive just seen they do a ntsc version too.

Why is ntsc recommended for the rav sat nav unit?

I've tried both NTSC and PAL encoded signals with a B9004. Both work. In my experiments NTSC seemed to give the better image. You pays yer money.........the choice is yours......but as nobody who fitted NTSC has complained..........

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, Just got a new head unit that is camera capable, and investigating how to put a camera on my 4.3 RAV.

As I have several old headcams from my hobby I wondered if it would be feasible to use one of them (sample footage here to show the angle of view. ) - I would imagine so, as they are CMOS and put out a PAL composite video and in fact take a 12v supply... so should work with the head unit. The quality wouldn't be as bad as the OVI video sample in the link, because that was super compressed to fit the site.

What I am more concerned about is where do you put the cam? The T180 set up above the number plate is perfect, but I bought my XT4 specifically because it has a spare wheel on the back, (and it has proved very useful on a couple of occasions... I just love the RAV, so easy to change the wheels!). Putting the cam down under the bumper probably wouldn't work with these 'bullet cams' because of their narrower field of view.

If someone has a screenshot of what their reversing cam looks like when mounted down on the bumper - both in terms of location and what the view looks like with the camera on their head unit, that would be a great help!

One final thing.. how important is it to have a mirror image camera????

cheers!

James

If someone has a screenshot of what their reversing cam looks like when mounted down on the bumper - both in terms of location and what the view looks like with the camera on their head unit, that would be a great help!

cheers!

James

Have a look at this thread ....Low Down Reversing Camera for both location OF camera and view FROM Camera :thumbsup:

Ref mirror image camera, I cannot remember the details, but I found one was significantly easier to use then the other (and looking at the thread, it was probably the Mirror Image.

You will likely find that the Head Unit will have a Normal/Mirror Image setting anyway, rather then having to have a specific Mirror Image Camera.

cheers!

James

Have a look at this thread ....Low Down Reversing Camera for both location OF camera and view FROM Camera :thumbsup:

Ref mirror image camera, I cannot remember the details, but I found one was significantly easier to use then the other (and looking at the thread, it was probably the Mirror Image.

You will likely find that the Head Unit will have a Normal/Mirror Image setting anyway, rather then having to have a specific Mirror Image Camera.

Thanks Hoovie, that gives me a good idea what might work. I didn't pick it up because I was looking in the 4.3 tips list but that answers 95% of my question. Do you happen to know what the angle of view on your camera was quoted as? My head unit I think is not smart enough to reverse the image, so I might just have to Shell out £20 for a camera from HK that does that. When I get round to installing it, I guess I will have to do a guide for the 4.3 for that exclusive club with a wheel on the back... B)