Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Maintenance/improvements - 4.3 Rear Camera Installation Part 1

shcm

Sorry, Pressed the wrong button, I have sent this twice but do not know how to cancel one of them.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mechman

• TomPL

• kanulondon

• dazuk

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Success, I have a working camera on my 2007 TX5. So here goes.

The vehicle has the S7 connector in the back door. However when I removed the HU from the dash, non of the wires were present at the HU and had never been fitted. I ran a light weight multicore from the HU and terminated in the boot. This ran inside behind the trim.

I then connected wires to teminals 1,21,22 and 23 on connector E54(D).

A final wire was connected to terminal 5 on connectorE57(E). This is the 5 pin connector right in the corner. Pin 5 already had a Red wire connected to it. I cut this and connected to one of the wires going to the boot.

Teminal 1 is connected to BTCY on the back door.

Terminal 21 is connected to CGND(CAM)

Terminal 22 is connected to V+

Terminal 23 is connected to V-

Terminals 21 and 23 are grounded together.

On the TX5 there is a switch fitted in the boot to cancel the reversing bleepers. If you remove the access panel above it and reach inside you will find the two wires attached to it. These are very long and easily located. One wire is red and one wire is black. The Black wire is the feed to the switch and the red is switched. Connect the wire from terminal 5 and the camera 12v feed to the black wire. Ground the camera neg feed. The system will respond to reverse gear even if you switch the bleepers off. ie for hook-up when towing.

Connect V+ and V- to the camera.

The wire on terminal 1 is supposed to indicate the door is open. I have tried this with 12V on it and by grounding it. Either way there is no effect on the screen. I am willing to live with this unless someone has the solution.

Connector E54(D) 24 pin. On mine the wires were missing along with any terminals. (Purists look away now).

To connect, I stripped the wire back about 10mm and pushed them into the back of the connector block until they could be seen at the front but not sticking out. I then super-glued the cable at the back. Please remember these are small multi strand cables.

When the connector is fitted the pins bed into the cable strands.

Because it is easiest I have fitted the camera in the rear door just above the bumper next to the spare wheel.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280791900801?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2648

Full thanks to all who have gone before me, their help was invaluable. This system works on my car, it is up to you if you wish to try it on yours.

Brian

Success, I have a working camera on my 2007 TX5. So here goes.

The vehicle has the S7 connector in the back door. However when I removed the HU from the dash, non of the wires were present at the HU and had never been fitted. I ran a light weight multicore from the HU and terminated in the boot. This ran inside behind the trim.

I then connected wires to teminals 1,21,22 and 23 on connector E54(D).

A final wire was connected to terminal 5 on connectorE57(E). This is the 5 pin connector right in the corner. Pin 5 already had a Red wire connected to it. I cut this and connected to one of the wires going to the boot.

Teminal 1 is connected to BTCY on the back door.

Terminal 21 is connected to CGND(CAM)

Terminal 22 is connected to V+

Terminal 23 is connected to V-

Terminals 21 and 23 are grounded together.

On the TX5 there is a switch fitted in the boot to cancel the reversing bleepers. If you remove the access panel above it and reach inside you will find the two wires attached to it. These are very long and easily located. One wire is red and one wire is black. The Black wire is the feed to the switch and the red is switched. Connect the wire from terminal 5 and the camera 12v feed to the black wire. Ground the camera neg feed. The system will respond to reverse gear even if you switch the bleepers off. ie for hook-up when towing.

Connect V+ and V- to the camera.

The wire on terminal 1 is supposed to indicate the door is open. I have tried this with 12V on it and by grounding it. Either way there is no effect on the screen. I am willing to live with this unless someone has the solution.

Connector E54(D) 24 pin. On mine the wires were missing along with any terminals. (Purists look away now).

To connect, I stripped the wire back about 10mm and pushed them into the back of the connector block until they could be seen at the front but not sticking out. I then super-glued the cable at the back. Please remember these are small multi strand cables.

When the connector is fitted the pins bed into the cable strands.

Because it is easiest I have fitted the camera in the rear door just above the bumper next to the spare wheel.

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2648

Full thanks to all who have gone before me, their help was invaluable. This system works on my car, it is up to you if you wish to try it on yours.

Brian

Let me ask you a fev questions, cause I do not understand some aspects

1. you have connected the camera to ther rear light bulb yes?

2. but you only connected the (+) from the power supply to the rear light and the CGND(camera) to the terminal21?

3. How did you groudn Terminal 21 and 23 together?

4. where did you get the cable from to connect to pin 5 on E57

Hi Tomasz.

1) The camera requires 12v to power it. Connection No 5 (E57E) requires a 12v positive feed to instruct the HU to turn over to camera. The switch with the Black wire is on the reversing light circuit (not the back lights) When reverse is selected the Black wire becomes live and powers the camera and feeds connection 5 on the HU (Head Unit In the Dash Board). The camera also requires a negative to power it. This needs grounding.

2) CGND(camera) is not the same wire as it is a part of the vehicle. It is normally used as the return for the 6v required by the Toyota camera.

3) I ran individual wires from each terminal to the boot. I did this so that I could try any any combination at the rear of the vehicle without disturbing the HU every time. Terminals 21, 23 and V- are all connected together and grounded to the chassis. I cannot think of any reason why you cannot just ground 21 and 23 at the HU. You would then need to ground V- at the rear of the vehicle.

4) If your vehicle is unwired as mine is, then as a minimum you will need to run wires for 5 (Rev) and 22 (V+) from front to back.

I trust this helps to clear things up for you.

Brian

I did, the same as you say, but without grounding the V-, and there was no respond from the HU. Do you think this is the reason?

I did, the same as you say, but without grounding the V-, and there was no respond from the HU. Do you think this is the reason?

V+ and V- are the outputs from the camera. V+ is the centre pin in the yellow plug (comes with the camera) and V- is the outer ring on the same plug. To connect, on the long lead that has two yellow plugs, cut one plug off and carefully cut back the outer sheath without cutting the wire screen below it. Twist the wire screen to give you a wire, this is V-. The wire in the centre core is V+.

V+ has to be connected to terminal 22. V- has to be connected to terminals 21 and 23. As both of these have to be grounded, then automatically V- has to be grounded as well.

Regards

Brian

Now, the most important question. Is there anybody who was unable to attach a 12v camera to the OEM navigation HU?

Mine is B9017 on RAV4 and B9030 on Auris. Both unable to attach the camera. Dunno why. I will try to do what Mechman did, but this is the last thing I haven't checked. This is why I ask: Is there anybody who was unable to attach the 12v camera to HU and make it work

Now, the most important question. Is there anybody who was unable to attach a 12v camera to the OEM navigation HU?

Mine is B9017 on RAV4 and B9030 on Auris. Both unable to attach the camera. Dunno why. I will try to do what Mechman did, but this is the last thing I haven't checked. This is why I ask: Is there anybody who was unable to attach the 12v camera to HU and make it work

For the record my unit is a B9004

Tried your idea. Does Not work both Auris and rav4

Tried your idea. Does Not work both Auris and rav4

My Rav is a Feb 2007, I do not think that cameras were an option before late 2006 and after that the B9004 was factory fitted.

You need to ask, was the camera ever an option with your units, if not I doubt the internals are there to accept one. I have always found that if you ring a main agent and ask to speak to the workshop foreman or manager, they are usually very helpfull and will talk to you.

If any members already know the answers maybe they can comment.

Well both of my navigations, work with rear view cameras, because there was a rear view camera as option while buying the car.

I think I need to buy an OEM one, and seeee what happens

Well both of my navigations, work with rear view cameras, because there was a rear view camera as option while buying the car.

I think I need to buy an OEM one, and seeee what happens

My RAV has the spare wheel on the door. It is wired in the rear door (S7) for a camera. However as the number plate is not in the door, it is in the rear bumper, there was never any intention by Toyota of fitting the camera to my car. The wiring only goes so far and then stops, there are no wires at the HU and never has been. I had to run new wires from HU to camera.

Have you checked that your units are wired at the dashboard, and if they are, have you checked that they are continuous to S7.

If not you could be wasting good money on a OEM camera.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought an OEM camera from a crashed car and everything worka fine.

I am curious What the hell was wrong with the connection with chinese cameras

• 3 months later...

Quick and Simple - Reversing Camera Installation for 4.3 T180

This takes less an hour with stunning results.

I bought a £12 NTSC reversing camera for a Toyota Highlander (what ever that is) from ebay it is a direct replacement for the Rav T180 rear door license plate lamp.

post-85818-0-40796200-1332689940_thumb.j

From the outside of the car I removed both the rear door license plate lamps

With the rear door open and I used my fingers to prise off the rear door internal trim panel from the bottom right hand corner - checking that all the plastic clips had come away with the trim.

I gently eased the clear plastic membrane from the adhesive holding it to the door and placed to one side for re-use later.

Inside the door metal work I used a 10mm spanner to release the three rear door license plate lamp trim panel nuts.

My camera was supplied with a separate video cable and a power cable. I cut both to ~300mm (do not cut the leads attached to the camera). With the connectors outside the car I pushed the cut ends of cables through the grommet.

post-85818-0-51662900-1332690143_thumb.j

Inside the car I found the camera connector on the rear door wiring loom as described elsewhere in this thread.

I cut the four wires from the connector and joined them to the camera cables;

Pin 2 (white wire) v+ camera signal to the yellow core on the video cable

Pin 1 (black with gold dots) v- camera signal to the black core on the video cable

Pin 4 (black with blue dots) +ve to the black core of the camera power cable (nb camera is advertised as 12v but this supply works fine)

Pin 3 (red wire) -ve to the red core of the camera power cable

post-85818-0-84469500-1332690280_thumb.j

I joined the wires by soldering them together and insulated them with heat shrink but in-line crimps would work just as well.

Outside the car I refitted the left hand side license plate lamp and fitted the camera to the right hand license plate lamp slot - perfect fit. My camera has an LED license plate lamp (I see that some don't) so I cut off the original lamp holder and connected the wires to the LED. I refitted the license plate trim panel.

post-85818-0-50401100-1332690349_thumb.j

Inside the car I replaced the license plate trim panel nuts, refitted the membrane and pushed the interior rear door trim panel fully back into place.

post-85818-0-18155300-1332689835_thumb.j

-------

When reverse gear is selected the amazingly sharp image is displayed on the sat nav screen.

post-85818-0-42222100-1332689883_thumb.j

The camera housing is angled and tilted so it provides a central view right back to the rear bumper with distance graduations.

The system looks totally original and is more like a £250 option than £12 and an hours DIY

Finally got round to doing this job tonight and it didn't work. I used an inline crimp and it was totally not fit for purpose due to the thin wire strands of the video cables.

Also it's worth noting that although I bought the same camera as big stu, it didnt come with the LED light or a seperate black cable within the video lead (once cut). Instead it had the yellow core with a seperate copper wire surround.

I connected as per instructions, assuming the wire sorrounding the yellow core video cable was the black wire mentioned.

I used little electrical terminals blocks I had in my tool box to securely connect the two wires (in the absence of a soldering kit)

Anyway, when I put the car into reverse, a message flashes up on the Sat Nav Screen, with the 'check your surroundings' also same messages flashes up if I have the rear door open.

But when reversing in the dark, the screen was completely blank.

Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve?

Wondering whether it's a power issue and I should try tapping the 12v from the reverse light? Or is it my dodgy eletrical work? The video cable??

Any ideas before I spend another two hours faffing, not sure what I can test before doing the actual work to save me time

KL

Quick and Simple - Reversing Camera Installation for 4.3 T180

This takes less an hour with stunning results.

I bought a £12 NTSC reversing camera for a Toyota Highlander (what ever that is) from ebay it is a direct replacement for the Rav T180 rear door license plate lamp.

post-85818-0-40796200-1332689940_thumb.j

From the outside of the car I removed both the rear door license plate lamps

With the rear door open and I used my fingers to prise off the rear door internal trim panel from the bottom right hand corner - checking that all the plastic clips had come away with the trim.

I gently eased the clear plastic membrane from the adhesive holding it to the door and placed to one side for re-use later.

Inside the door metal work I used a 10mm spanner to release the three rear door license plate lamp trim panel nuts.

My camera was supplied with a separate video cable and a power cable. I cut both to ~300mm (do not cut the leads attached to the camera). With the connectors outside the car I pushed the cut ends of cables through the grommet.

post-85818-0-51662900-1332690143_thumb.j

Inside the car I found the camera connector on the rear door wiring loom as described elsewhere in this thread.

I cut the four wires from the connector and joined them to the camera cables;

Pin 2 (white wire) v+ camera signal to the yellow core on the video cable

Pin 1 (black with gold dots) v- camera signal to the black core on the video cable

Pin 4 (black with blue dots) +ve to the black core of the camera power cable (nb camera is advertised as 12v but this supply works fine)

Pin 3 (red wire) -ve to the red core of the camera power cable

post-85818-0-84469500-1332690280_thumb.j

I joined the wires by soldering them together and insulated them with heat shrink but in-line crimps would work just as well.

Outside the car I refitted the left hand side license plate lamp and fitted the camera to the right hand license plate lamp slot - perfect fit. My camera has an LED license plate lamp (I see that some don't) so I cut off the original lamp holder and connected the wires to the LED. I refitted the license plate trim panel.

post-85818-0-50401100-1332690349_thumb.j

Inside the car I replaced the license plate trim panel nuts, refitted the membrane and pushed the interior rear door trim panel fully back into place.

post-85818-0-18155300-1332689835_thumb.j

-------

When reverse gear is selected the amazingly sharp image is displayed on the sat nav screen.

post-85818-0-42222100-1332689883_thumb.j

The camera housing is angled and tilted so it provides a central view right back to the rear bumper with distance graduations.

The system looks totally original and is more like a £250 option than £12 and an hours DIY

Finally got round to doing this job tonight and it didn't work. I used an inline crimp and it was totally not fit for purpose due to the thin wire strands of the video cables.

Also it's worth noting that although I bought the same camera as big stu, it didnt come with the LED light or a seperate black cable within the video lead (once cut). Instead it had the yellow core with a seperate copper wire surround.

I connected as per instructions, assuming the wire sorrounding the yellow core video cable was the black wire mentioned.

I used little electrical terminals blocks I had in my tool box to securely connect the two wires (in the absence of a soldering kit)

Anyway, when I put the car into reverse, a message flashes up on the Sat Nav Screen, with the 'check your surroundings' also same messages flashes up if I have the rear door open.

But when reversing in the dark, the screen was completely blank.

Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve?

Wondering whether it's a power issue and I should try tapping the 12v from the reverse light? Or is it my dodgy eletrical work? The video cable??

Any ideas before I spend another two hours faffing, not sure what I can test before doing the actual work to save me time

KL

Thinking about it now, perhaps the block connectors I used weren't the best idea?

I not sure what they are rated, would they lessen the power going to camera? Should I look to solder instead?

Your display is seeing a video signal as it is displaying the message but possibly a weak signal. Also the door open message should be different to that displayed when door is closed. Does the camera works in good light? Is the camera facing the right direction and not obscured by anything?

By the sounds of it your connections are not very robust - I would check these first. Inline crimps are available in a number of sizes and maybe the size you selected are a little too big for your cable size. The correct size crimps should be a snug fit around the cable core. I would double check your connections - maybe make some temporary connections by twisting the cores together (and insulating with tape) to establish whether this is the problem. Check both power and signal connections.

Your camera is different specification to mine so might not work correctly on the 6v power available at the harness - to correct this you can tap into the reversing lamp feed but these cables are thin also.

UPDATE

Fixed it. It was the power supply. 6V wasn't enough. I tapped a 12V cable in the back door with a scotchlok and earthed as necessary. All working now

Well worth the effort

KL

Your display is seeing a video signal as it is displaying the message but possibly a weak signal. Also the door open message should be different to that displayed when door is closed. Does the camera works in good light? Is the camera facing the right direction and not obscured by anything?

By the sounds of it your connections are not very robust - I would check these first. Inline crimps are available in a number of sizes and maybe the size you selected are a little too big for your cable size. The correct size crimps should be a snug fit around the cable core. I would double check your connections - maybe make some temporary connections by twisting the cores together (and insulating with tape) to establish whether this is the problem. Check both power and signal connections.

Your camera is different specification to mine so might not work correctly on the 6v power available at the harness - to correct this you can tap into the reversing lamp feed but these cables are thin also.

Hi Stu

I didn't see your reply before I did mine. I pretty much came to the exact same conclusions :-)

I removed my connectors and tied together all wires and tested, same result. Message on screen but no image.

I then removed the power suppy to see if it made any difference? And No....same message on screen. This led me to believe the power being an issue.

I then attempted in vain to reach the reverse feed but given the length of the power cable, I just didn't have enough to play with. I could perhaps lengthen out the cable in the future.

I saw in another post about picking up 12V feeds from elsewhere and I noticed another red cable going through to the back door. Tapped into that and hey presto. It's also earthed correctly.

Does any foresee an issue using this feed? Or should I look to try harder to get the reverse light feed?

I just need to solder up which I will do later tonight.

KL

The benefit of picking up the 12v from the reversing lamp line is that the power is present and only present whenever reverse is selected.

Ah OK, so it's not a good idea to leave it the way it is? Is it only getting 12V when the car is on, or at all times? I do some more soldering to get it hooked to the reverse lights

Issue fixed. I extended the power leads and it's now picking up from the reverse feed only.

When you pull the bunch of wires the reverse feed i believe is the one without a dot. However please confirm by testing with a tester

KL

• 6 months later...

Just started and finished installing camera on my XT5 this evening, well impressed - thank you for the instructions above.

Item came within a week

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CCD-SONY-CAR-REAR-VIEW-REVERSE-BACKUP-CAMERA-FOR-TOYOTA-RAV4-RAV-4-Porte-/260994255145?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item3cc4784929

even if cheap and doesnt last long, will take minutes to remove and replace.

• 3 months later...

Well, i FINALLY got round to doing this. Took loads of photos so i'll upload a report soon but lets just say its actually very easy to do. Typical me overcomplicated it but hey-ho it works now!

Webz

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links