Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Much For A Service?

CG74

Hi

I've just been in contact with Steven Eagell Toyota in Milton Keynes to ask how much a 2nd year service is on a 1.0 Yaris (i've had the car a year now). They told me it was going to cost £220 for an oil change and a check over on the ramps with the wheels off. This sounds like a rip off as i only paid £180 for the second service on my S2000 :wacko: Are they overpriced or are people just stupid to pay this sort of money out on a runabout car??

Any opinions? :)

Thanks

Matt

That sounds alot to me. Had the T Sport yaris done in Leicester for alot less on a 40000 service, was £175.00 and thats the major service.

Leicester Toyota service centre (which is now Nissan but they are still Toyota authorised) quoted £99.00 for a standard service with all Toyota parts so I think Mr T MK is over priced.

I agree that sounds expensive.

I had my corolla serviced last week, 2 year, 20,000 miles for £133. I would try somewher else !!!!!

Phone round a few dealers for prices they do vary a lot from dealer to dealer ( as much as £75 on a really big service)also find out if they have included an additive which they put in your fuel tank if you do not want it tell them!!! I do not think it is part of the service schedule and can cost quite a bit ! you have to decide if you think the additive is worth the cost if they have included that in the price.

Thanks very much for the responses.

I did think it was way too much for that service. :angry:

I've found someone with a friend that works in the parts dept there and are making inquiries for me, even he thinks its way too much.

I'll post tomorrow to tell you all the outcome of this.

Cheers

Thanks very much for the responses.

I did think it was way too much for that service. :angry:

I've found someone with a friend that works in the parts dept there and are making inquiries for me, even he thinks its way too much.

I'll post tomorrow to tell you all the outcome of this.

Cheers

You should ask if that price is including a brake fluid change as that is recommended every 2 years, by Toyota. That will add another £60 or so to the bill.

This has got to be one of the worst priced garages ever! A few months ago at the same place I was quoted £1200 for a cat and O2 sensor change!!

The service price does sound very pricey so deffo shop around!

I agree that sounds expensive.

I had my corolla serviced last week, 2 year, 20,000 miles for £133. I would try somewher else !!!!!

That price included brake fluid change and it was done in a 'Toyota dealership' !!!!!

I have just called Richard Tebbutt in Bromham and they have quoted the same price (£220) but told me about the brake fluid change. I asked how much it would be without the brake fluid and he said £180. He did say he would round it down to £200 for me with the brake fluid change.

I can't see the point of changing the brake fluid every 2 years in a car that only gets driven around normally, my S2000 has one every 3 years and that gets the brakes hammered. I know you get different DOT rated fluids but i just can't see the Yaris even breaking a sweat out on normal braking. :)

What i'm annoyed about is that Steven Eagell said the only thing that is physically done to the car is an oil change :angry: I really don't think that garage knows what its doing to peoples cars.

I have just called Richard Tebbutt in Bromham and they have quoted the same price (£220) but told me about the brake fluid change. I asked how much it would be without the brake fluid and he said £180. He did say he would round it down to £200 for me with the brake fluid change.

I can't see the point of changing the brake fluid every 2 years in a car that only gets driven around normally, my S2000 has one every 3 years and that gets the brakes hammered. I know you get different DOT rated fluids but i just can't see the Yaris even breaking a sweat out on normal braking. :)

What i'm annoyed about is that Steven Eagell said the only thing that is physically done to the car is an oil change :angry: I really don't think that garage knows what its doing to peoples cars.

Brake fluid change is recomend every 2 years because brake fluid absorbes moisture. Moisture in brake fluid lowers its boiling point. This means that brake fade will happen a lot earlier if old fluid is in the system. But at the end of the day its your choice. Personaly, I change my brake fluid every year..but it dont cost me over £200 for a service!! Oh and a 20k service is NOT just an oil and filter change - I dont blame you for not using the people that told you that.

Brake fluid change is recomend every 2 years because brake fluid absorbes moisture. Moisture in brake fluid lowers its boiling point. This means that brake fade will happen a lot earlier if old fluid is in the system.

If it was a high performance car then i'd be looking at changing the fluid regularly, IMO i'd do it every 3 to 4 years as the car only does 7k a year.

Thanks for the input though. :)

Brake fluid change is recomend every 2 years because brake fluid absorbes moisture. Moisture in brake fluid lowers its boiling point. This means that brake fade will happen a lot earlier if old fluid is in the system.

If it was a high performance car then i'd be looking at changing the fluid regularly, IMO i'd do it every 3 to 4 years as the car only does 7k a year.

Thanks for the input though. :)

I feel that you are missing the point...............After TWO years the brake fluid becomes less efficient as it absorbs moisture.

All manufacturers advise that the brake fluid is changed at 2 year periods irrespective of mileage.

If it is not done then in the event of an accident you may possibly find that you could be in trouble if the brakes contributed to the accident and you had not maintained them in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations.

You do not have to pay inflated Toyota prices to have the brake fluid changed :thumbsup:

After TWO years the brake fluid becomes less efficient as it absorbs moisture.

All manufacturers advise that the brake fluid is changed at 2 year periods irrespective of mileage.

I work in the motorsport industry and am aware of that but i have never owned a car that required a change after 2 years. :huh:

Honda Specifiy every 3 years on their service schedule. I would say that was a better schedule for changing. Seems to me that Toyota likes getting money out of people for unnecessary work. :D

After TWO years the brake fluid becomes less efficient as it absorbs moisture.

I work in the motorsport industry and am aware of that but i have never owned a car that required a change after 2 years. :huh:

Honda Specifiy every 3 years on their service schedule. I would say that was a better schedule for changing. Seems to me that Toyota likes getting money out of people for unnecessary work. :D

Working in the motorsport industry I am suprised that you seem not to appreciate the need to change the brake fluid at the manufacturers specified periods or indeed the potential consequences of not changing the fluid.

As previously stated you do not have to pay Toyota prices to get the brake fluid changed, but I feel that the work should be considered as necessary.................the costs involved are minimal compared to the cost of a potential accident caused by brake failure. :rolleyes:

Well, managed to get Steven Eagell down to £150 for the service and they agreed with me that the brake fluid didn't need changing either.

Just shows you don't have to pay the over inflated prices that some dealers charge, a bit of friendly persuasion goes a long way. :D

Well, managed to get Steven Eagell down to £150 for the service and they agreed with me that the brake fluid didn't need changing either.

I hope that they were prepared to state that in writing........................Just in case of any future brake problems.

Did Steven Eagell give you any idea when your brake fluid should be changed?

I ask this because you previously said - "What i'm annoyed about is that Steven Eagell said the only thing that is physically done to the car is an oil change I really don't think that garage knows what its doing to peoples cars."

It seems that your original statement might be correct :rolleyes:

I hope that they were prepared to state that in writing........................Just in case of any future brake problems.

I ask this because you previously said - "What i'm annoyed about is that Steven Eagell said the only thing that is physically done to the car is an oil change I really don't think that garage knows what its doing to peoples cars."

They told me that Toyota recommends a change every two years but that is at the discretion of the owner and it was an additional £70 for the fluid change.

They told me that Toyota recommends a change every two years but that is at the discretion of the owner and it was an additional £70 for the fluid change.

If they recommend a change of fluid every two years and you do not follow their recommendations then you must take the responsibility should any accident occur due to brake problems.

As previously stated you do not have to pay Toyota prices to get the brake fluid changed, but I feel that the work should be considered as necessary.................the costs involved are minimal compared to the cost of a potential accident caused by brake failure.

Is it really worth saving a few pounds for?...........................That must remain between you and your conscience :unsure:

I'm getting my next service done at kwikfit had a gut full of Toyota's poor customer service.

i would pay £65 for a full service (as opposed to an intermediate one) from my independant mechanic. I would avoid toyota dealers and kwik fit, a good independent will be much better and much cheaper.

I note from some of your comments that the Brake Fluid should be changed at 2 year intervals.

Also if you read most service books, (not necessarily Toyota), manufacturers recommend changing brake components. I.e. seals in cylinders and brake hoses, due to age degradation. :unsure:

Who of you have had those items changed whilst having your brake fluid changed?

Normally nothing is done to these items until, MOT test shows it up, or you have a fluid leak from a cylinder.

Yes I agree that B/F does absorb water. But let’s not go over board on this one item.

Has any one on here had a brake failure due to water absorbing to the brake fluid? Under extreme conditions you might experience brake fad, but I doubt its down to the fluid, more like pad fad..

Take a look at your older cars. Have you had their fluid changed every 2 years?

If you think that Toyota charge too much for this service, why not do it yourself.

It’s not difficult, after all this is a Basic car, nothing hard on this job. So save £60 plus get the tools and save on next time round too.

R