Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fixing My Ae92

The Tvis Kid

Well its about time i get my Gti back up and road worthy. Its been off the road for a few months now and i want to use it over the winter. As some of your saw from my old posts i slide into the back of someone and destroyed my bumper, wingg, head lights and slam panel.

There are two ways i can try and fix it, buy second hand bolt on parts like the wings and bonnet and then buy the slam panel new from a bodyshop and have it welded in. Or i can but an old 1.3 rolla and get the parts swapped over (although i don't know how hard this is to do). I won't be doin any of the work myself so need the most cost effective solution.

Also i need to know if all the parts are interchangable across the corolla range. For example at the mo there is a rolla been broken but its a 1.3. Its the right colour and it has all the parts i need. But can i use the lights, wings, bonnet off a 1.3 a stick it on my gti?

From my limited experience I would suggest taking pictures of your current car and the mounting places of the parts then take the pictures and look at the parts car. I own a AE91 and I found that lots of parts (1988-1996) will fit just fine from AE92's and beyond. Engine doesn't matter if the body style is the same in your situation or the same model (eg. AE92). I would however if buying the whole parts car to strip it of its brake calipers, doors, maybe hood, glass, headlights, tail lights, cat converter (if your feeling hardcore), and any other part that you might need in the future, and if you don't use it, sell it on eBay and make a few bucks.

Cost effective: IMHO would be to buy the parts you need piece by piece (as long as your not getting ripped off) because you are going to have to tow the parts car to the shop also.

Learning experience: Buy the parts car and attempt to do the work yourself. Bumpers, headlights, and other accessories are cake to install with a $49 toolkit and you have parts for later on (providing you have the storage). Oh, and if you do it this way then you know how next time and can go to the scrap yard and pull off what you need for super cheap.

Rockerrock

Rockerrock's right.. Get yourself the parts from the donor car. All the parts are interchangable across the corolla range. If its an AE92 then every item on the car will be ok to swap to yours.

Currently, i have 2 Ae92 Gti's sat in the shed. Next to one of them sits an AE92 1.3 12 valver. I can tell you that, Shell wise. They are both the same. The only real difference between the two shells is that the gti's Shell has provision for, that strut brace in the engine bay. The side-skirts, and the spoiler on the hatch.. Other than the Gti Mechanicals. They are exactly the same.

One of my Gti's shells is just rot.(Sunroof,Arches,tailgate). So i'm going to swap everything Gti on to the 1.3. This is an utter doddle. Although time consuming, i'm going to end up with one of the cleanest Gti around. Without the worry of Tin-rot, and no sunroof..

Buy yourself a Haynes manual, and all should become a little clearer.. Do it!

Cake and Pie. :D

yep all 3 doors are the same (bar the missing sunroof on the GL )

the 5 door EE90 has different wings and bonnet though and are not interchangeable also the headlights are different

if ur changing the Gti engine into the GL remember that the Left engine mount is different!! so u'll have to move it back or forward (I forget which it is)

I have a 89 Gti, 91 gti and a 92 GL.ha i've tired it before.

heres a good website for replacement GTI parts!! http://www.micksgarage.ie

Look under Toyota Corolla XL 1987-1992 as the Gti has the same bonnet and wings, Headlights Etc!!

Im just after buying 2 wings for one of mine and there great and no gaps between bonnet and wing

Cheers for the responses guys. I'm on the look out for an old corolla still so i can just swap all the parts over as i think this will be the easiest route. I can just get the bits cut off and re welded to my car.

I have another question though. My radiator has a bow in it and the oil cooler is a bit dented too. Neither of them have any leaks but i was wondering if other models of the corolla range have the same sized radiator and oil cooler? as i might as well change these too.

As regards 3dr AE92 hatchback ‘GTi / FX GT’ the front wings are ever so slightly different as apposed to standard ‘1.3 etc’ front wing .

Difference is flair of the wheel arch . Yes a standard wing will fit but it all depends on how ‘original/fussy’ you are about car.

This fact is even mentioned in the late 80’s sales brochure (when they were new)

Pattern part panel suppliers do generic “one shape fits all” but go to Toyota part dept and part number is different depending on model.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links