Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla G6

vision

I have a Corolla 1.3 G6 4E-FE. Would be nicer to fit a 4AGZE (165hp) or a 4A-GE (160hp)?

My first priority is the reliability of the engine. I don't want to have any kinds of problems with normal use.

What are your suggestions?

I would go with a 4A-GE 20V, if you want a reliable setup.

But both of those are great engines, I would fit one of them straight away if it only would be legal where I live.

I have to say the 4a-gze :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Take a look at my website to find out why!!!!!

From what I've been told by the guy who fitted my engine for me the 4a-ge 20v in a Corolla it wasn't worth the effort. There is no torque in the low rev range and the only way to get it to go was to rev the nuts off it. He then fitted a 3s-gte 2 litre turbo lump in it and that went very well.

Also check out some of the posts by Knowlson - he also has a supercharged Corolla.

Make sure you have the cash set aside for brakes and suspension. No point having all that grunt and not being able to stay on the road :thumbsup:

Now there's a man who speaks from experience  :eek:

If only I could blame it on having 160bhp and 1300cc wheels and brakes etc etc <_<

Went to the bodyshop today to pick her up and still drove away in the Corsa! :ffs:

The numnuts tried to palm me off with non directional tyres!

It went in with directionals (shredded but directional) and its gonna come back out!...ooh I could have crushed a grape :ffs:

ARRGGHH. I know what it's like. Make sure they get it right mate.

As for the Corsa - be thankful its petrol (it isn't it?) when I had my shortlived Longlife exhaust fitted they lent me I diesel Corsa for the day. If you think the petrol one is bad don't ever go near a diesel one :crybaby::crybaby: There's more pukk in a soaking wet paper bag.

If only I could keep my 6 speed box with a 4A-GZE, I'd go and buy one.

Joe

*Nearly putting my Yaris courtesy car into reverse on the motorway after forgetting not all cars have that extra gear!*

Can someone please give me back my nice shiney Gold member icon thingy please.

Joe

Feeling inadequate

If only I could keep my 6 speed box with a 4A-GZE,  I'd go and buy one.

Joe

*Nearly putting my Yaris courtesy car into reverse on the motorway after forgetting not all cars have that extra gear!*

It would not be worth it. The extra power put out by the 4a-gze would probably make short work of the 6-speed. The box that came with my engine was an E58 which is considerably beefed up internally to take the extra power - same internals as the MR2 Turbo box (or so I've been told) so should be good for at least 250-300 horse power. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Now all I've got to do is find the extra horses from somewhere. :P :P

As john has said dont go for the 4age 20v not really worth it the only real choice is the 4agze :thumbsup::thumbsup: the 4afe 6 speed would die with the 4agze :lol::lol:

Do you think that I can find a low mile-age 4AGZE now days? I mean really low. It's been 7-8 years from what I know, since that engine stopped. Do you think it may need modifications before fitted in the car? Or may need to be opened in order to check the internal parts first and what’s the condition of them?

Would it be worth it or after a few months I will cry my money and remember how good and reliable was my 4E-FE?..

Mine has been on the road since the beginning of June and I've had no probs with it at all. Came in a 91/92 Levin GT-Z front cut from Fensport and had 102,000km on the clock. Put a Fensport big pulley kit, new clutch, timimg belt and ancilliary belts on it before installing it in the Rolla. It starts first time every time and drives like a dream. Also you will need a new exhaust system and suspension (front at the very least) will need to be uprated to take the extra weight of the engine / gearbox. I haven't got round to uprating my brakes yet but they will need doing before too long.

However much you budget on spending it will not be enough because there will always something extra you need to spend your hard earned cash on.

Low mileage will be about 30k-60k after you change it back to miles from K :thumbsup:

The engines are near enough bulletproof the internals are very strong :thumbsup:

The 4agze will fit straight in near enough I believe there is one mounting point that is slightly different but other then that both the 4afe and 4agze are the same family of engines so the mounts are the same :thumbsup:

I had my supercharger just blow on me but its not that expensive to get a new one about £100 quid or so

If your thinking about doing the conversion I would set aside 6-7k to do it :thumbsup: that would be full engine conversion either a front mount intercooler or a new bonnet with scoop rear disks new exhaust and then all the other stuff you want once you have done it :lol::lol::lol:

Maybe it would be wiser to swap the 4E-FE with a VVT-i 1.6 110ps. It's a newer one, new technology lower consumption...and maybe i can modify it a bit for extra power...

What do you think of this?

Maybe it would be wiser to swap the 4E-FE with a VVT-i 1.6 110ps. It's a newer one, new technology lower consumption...and maybe i can modify it a bit for extra power...

What do you think of this?

Think your talking about the 1999-2001 Dont think its worth it just for the vvti there is bugger all you can do to it :angry: but if your going to do that you might aswell go for the 1.6 16v non vvti 4afe thats 109bhp and that would be an easy swap :thumbsup: again not much you can do to it exhaust airfilter will probably get you to 125-130 bhp :thumbsup:

Or you can put a engine from the Starlet Turbo in it the 4E-FTE its a 1.3 engine maybe you can hold your 6 speed gearbox this engine has what i believe about 103 hbp

4E-FTE produces 136ps. It's not a bad idea.

On the other hand i can choose the 4A-FE or the 1.6 VVTi (110ps both) and do some extra work, but it will cost a lot more to catch the magic number 136...

Thats wat i tought olso , i think the best sullution is for the most BHP isthe Turbo from the starlet :thumbsup:

On the other hand i can choose the 4A-FE or the 1.6 VVTi (110ps both) and do some extra work, but it will cost a lot more to catch the magic number 136...

Dont put the VVTI 1.6 in. There is a guy around on here to which I have met at the JAE a couple of times. He has a VVTI Sr Rolla 6 speed. He informs me of the hassle he has had to try and squeeze some more power out of it. The air intake is different and there are no mods on the market and the ecu doesnt allow a re-map etc. For the money a transplant like that would cost its not cost effective. Go full tilt like Knowlson/ ae111sr have done or try what G6R has said. :thumbsup:

Oh by the way peeps.....got my rolla back today :D :D

From the corsa it feels like im sat with my aris on the floor and in a dragstar. It feels great B) .....though im gonna take things easy now :P

Dont put the VVTI 1.6 in. There is a guy around on here to which I have met at the JAE a couple of times. He has a VVTI Sr Rolla 6 speed. He informs me of the hassle he has had to try and squeeze some more power out of it. The air intake is different and there are no mods on the market and the ecu doesnt allow a re-map etc. For the money a transplant like that would cost its not cost effective. Go full tilt like Knowlson/ ae111sr have done or try what G6R has said. :thumbsup:

Oh by the way peeps.....got my rolla back today :D :D

From the corsa it feels like im sat with my aris on the floor and in a dragstar. It feels great B) .....though im gonna take things easy now :P

My thoughts are go all out :thumbsup:

Get they 4AGE 20valve (silver top) must be silver, add a little RB20 nissan Skyline turbo do a little work like 8:1 compression pistons stainless valves exhaust side ,an oil cooler, 7MGTE intercooler frontmounted ,turbosmart bov and incabin boost controller and hay presto you have all these 4AGZE boys shaking in there boots

you will be totally in control while they are laying rubber and by the time they grab traction you will be 1/4 mile in front

WRX's i have a little somethin for ya!!!!

but its still only a corolla or so I get told

Best experience of your life

So what sort of mods and bhp figure could be achieved with the 4A-FE?

I'm used to the Rover k-series so I don't know of many parts available to the rolla engines.

These are the sort of mods I'm used to:

VVC Spec Head With Piper Conventional Cam Conversion (This is onto a conventional non VVC block as the head can be ported a lot more than the standard one)

Enlarge the Inlet valves & exhaust valves

Piper Cams

Solid Followers & Double Valve Springs

Direct To Head Throttle Bodies

Uprated Omega Forged Pistons

VHPD Single Rods

Uprated Big End Bearings

Reprogrammed ECU

Aftermarket Exhaust Manifold with larger primaries

Uprated Clutch

Flywheel Skimmed & Lightened

All these on a 1.8 k-series (118bhp standard) were rolling roaded at 210bhp and it scared the crap out of me! ;)

So, can similar things be done with the 4A-FE as I can't even find anywhere that do upgraded cams?

Joe

So what sort of mods and bhp figure could be achieved with the 4A-FE?

I'm used to the Rover k-series so I don't know of many parts available to the rolla engines.

These are the sort of mods I'm used to:

VVC Spec Head With Piper Conventional Cam Conversion (This is onto a conventional non VVC block as the head can be ported a lot more than the standard one)

Enlarge the Inlet valves & exhaust valves

Piper Cams

Solid Followers & Double Valve Springs

Direct To Head Throttle Bodies

Uprated Omega Forged Pistons

VHPD Single Rods

Uprated Big End Bearings

Reprogrammed ECU

Aftermarket Exhaust Manifold with larger primaries

Uprated Clutch

Flywheel Skimmed & Lightened

All these on a 1.8 k-series (118bhp standard) were rolling roaded at 210bhp and it scared the crap out of me! ;)

So, can similar things be done with the 4A-FE as I can't even find anywhere that do upgraded cams?

Joe

WITH THE 20 VALVE YOU CAN DO ALL SORTS OF STUFF BORE IT OUT TO 83mm

LIFT CAM TIMING

UP COMPRESSION RATIO 12:1

INCREASE STROKE BY 6mm

THE 4AGE 20valve IN THE STATES IS USED AS A FORMULA ATLANTIC MOTOR CHECK OUT WWW.TOYSPORT.COM

FOR PART LISTINGS FOR THE 20valve or FORMULA ATLANTIC

BUT MAKE SURE YOU DO THE BRAKE UPGRADE YOU NEED THEM MINE PULLS 0-100KPH IN UNDER 6sec AND 1/4mile IN LATE 12's BUT ITS TURBO

My thoughts are go all out :thumbsup:

Get they 4AGE 20valve (silver top) must be silver, add a little RB20 nissan Skyline turbo do a little work like 8:1 compression pistons stainless valves exhaust side ,an oil cooler, 7MGTE intercooler frontmounted ,turbosmart bov and incabin boost controller and hay presto you have all these 4AGZE boys shaking in there boots

you will be totally in control while they are laying rubber and by the time they grab traction you will be 1/4 mile in front

WRX's i have a little somethin for ya!!!!

4AGZE boys shaking in there boots :lol::lol:

How much would that lot set you back?

what type of corolla fo you have?? model number??

if your corolla does a 1/4 in under 13 secs you have one of the fastest rollas on here mate :eek:

• 3 months later...
If only I could keep my 6 speed box with a 4A-GZE, I'd go and buy one.

Joe

Why exactly is it that you can't keep your 6 speed box with the 4A-GZE??