Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The Mr2 Has Gone....

cfc1

awesome stuff davy. i hope the 'test drives' went well. possibly does need a restrictor esp if its based on a garret turbo, they usually have a3-4mm restrictor in them

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cfc1

• JappyBeast

• Andie_M

• Jimlad

I haven't phoned in the last 2 days.. so I don't know the up to date situation. They thought of fitting a restrictor but they want to make sure that that is what is need to rectify the leak, they don't want to fit a restrictor then find they have starved the turbo of oil. I think they are checking the return line 1st to make sure the flow is good,then looking into the air intake to rule out a lack of air causing a vacuum inside the turbo.. causing the oil to be sucked out.

If it does require a restrictor that creates a problem of it's own, the fitment is a Banjo Bolt and finding a suitable restrictor could be difficult.... but I'm sure a solution can be engineered.

The turbo is an IHI type.... if that means anything to you.

We run quite viciously small restrictors on our Garrets because they're BB turbos and hate too much oil, and the roadster has a pretty healthy oil pressure.

Your IHI is plain bearing and has more latitude.

Your breathers are now vented to atmos so thats ruled out as an oil source.

So that leaves whats going into the hub, whats getting out of the hub, and the volumetric capacity of the air intake.

1. Into hub: yes, a restrictor could help, but Steve'll have to approach this gingerly so's not to starve the bearings

2. Outa hub: Steve's confirmed no restrictions in the return pipe, although raised sump pressure could be slowing oil return. Steve can test for that when he checks the flow rate outa the hub (which is on his list pending no.1. above I believe!)

3. Intake: if its had an oil contamination, the compressor will look elsewhere to fill the vacuum behind it if it can't draw enough air.

Aside from that, your hub seals may have gone dry, or it could just be a QC issue from the factory. Luckily, plain bearing turbos can be re-worked (and with uprated seals too). Our Garretts are stuffed when the seals go. there are a couple of guys in the country who can repair them but its pricey (which is why our exchange price is only 50 quid shy of outright replacement :huh: )

Car might be ready tomorrow, 2 different sized restrictors are getting delivered, then it's a case of trial and error to see which one is most suitable.... then it's job done :)

The only thing is... If I can't pick it up tomorrow.... I might have to grovel to the boss to get time off work as my holiday week finnishes on Saturday... and the problem with that is... the boss' holiday week starts on Sunday lol.

Davy, sorry I've lost your number (or maybe I never had it!). But i think you have mine. If you get this tonight, you wanna give me a call? Or I'll catch you on MSN.

• 4 weeks later...

OK.. another update....

Restrictor was fitted.. however, this didn't fully solve the problem, there is still a very slight oil leek and it seems as if it's coming from the actual turbo itself, A new unit has been requested. :(

I was supposed to pick the car up today but obviously that isn't possible, the garage doesn't want to return it with this leek. So I had to make do with a couple of pictures instead... so thought I'd share them with you all.

100_3784.jpg

100_3788.jpg

What the hell is that monstrosity!!!!!,,

should of just bought a tubby Davy!!!!!!! :P :P lol,

Mo

Dave... i bet you cant wait to get your hands on her! :)

Wish you all the best with the oil leak and well done on the upgrade!

You lucky son of a mum! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Update...

I pick the car up tomorrow :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

It has also had the mapping tweaked since last time (220bhp).. and is now giving 246bhp.. hmmmm.. could be interesting to dtive :lol:

Pics when I get a day off to take some good ones :)

Minor problem to sort out 1st though... but what a drive.. EXCELLENT!!

Oh.. there was a mis-communication with the BHP figures.. it's actually only 234BHP.. but how good is that :)

Sounds crap to me, I think you have been swizzled!!!

OK so I'm peed off that you didn't stop over at mine and let me try it :P

Nice one Davey :thumbsup:

OK so I'm peed off that you didn't stop over at mine and let me try it :P

Nice one Davey :thumbsup:

If we had time we would have stopped over m8 :(

It's quite fortunate we didn't have that time though... The car devoloped quite a large oil leak on the way home.. nothing major though and not the turbo, it's just a bit of costom work relating to the oil pressure sensor that has to be re-worked.

I also want to add a crankcase vent and/or an oil catch tank as I'm getting a puff of smoke from the exhaust when coming off and going back on boost.. I have been informed that either/both of those mods will stop it.

Glad to hear that you have got it back Davey ;)

Now go out and have some fun in it mate :thumbsup:

Welcome to the turbo world :yahoo:

jerry!!

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the weather to take some pics...

03f0f4b1.jpg

My not so clean at the moment engine bay...

2d0cf069.jpg

dc24f13b.jpg

I still have a couple of minor things to do, but I'm slowly getting there :)

That looks fantastic!!! :eek:

Impressive figures. Looks like the intercooler was a good move in the end :)

How does it drive? Is it as tailhappy as you thought?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the late reply....

It can be a little "twitchy" under wet conditions, but easily controllable :) and lots and lots of fun :toot:

Finally got the weather to take some pics...

03f0f4b1.jpg

My not so clean at the moment engine bay...

2d0cf069.jpg

dc24f13b.jpg

I still have a couple of minor things to do, but I'm slowly getting there :)

:drool:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links