Do Not Sell My Personal Information

4.2 4.3 Etc?

PinkMinkee

Just to stick some years on the above excellent answer:

4.1 = 1994-2000

4.2 = 2000-2006

4.3 = 2006-xxxx

And , in my humble opinion, we will have the 4.4 in 2013.

Sounds about right.......2012, 2013..........if past history is an marker to the future. :thumbsup:

For completeness, The Face-lifted models also have a owners model number.

4.1 = 1994-1998

4.1.5 = 1998-2000

4.2 = 2000-2004

4.2.5 = 2004-2006

My guess that maybe in 2009/2010 a mid-life face-lift for the 4.3 will appear. So :-

4.3 = 2006-2010

4.3.5 = 2010-20??

For completeness, The Face-lifted models also have a owners model number.

4.1 = 1994-1998

4.1.5 = 1998-2000

4.2 = 2000-2004

4.2.5 = 2004-2006

My guess that maybe in 2009/2010 a mid-life face-lift for the 4.3 will appear. So :-

4.3 = 2006-2010

4.3.5 = 2010-20??

No the next upgrade for the RAV 4.3 model will be the change over to no Spare Tyre's on the back of all models :P :P .... look forward to you all getting that Tyre Gunk kit..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Anchormans right in as much as it will save Toyota the cost of a spare wheel, cover and fancy back-panel on the rear door.

Clare

No the next upgrade for the RAV 4.3 model will be the change over to no Spare Tyre's on the back of all models :P :P ....

I think you are probably right! :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hi just taking a mo to read some of the older posts whilst waiting for the kettle to boil, and have come across this fascinating and informative thread. What perplexes me is why the spec for vehicles sold in Ireland differs from UK. Historically, I think it's right to say that the spec of vehicles here was (maybe still is) lower than UK, especially where safety (airbags and, a few years ago even ABS) were concerned. But that doesn't explain why the 2005 4.2 my better half has is a 1.8 VVTi 2wd (and not a 2.0 as I think the UK vehicles are)

P1130071.jpg

or why my lovely new 4.3 has a spare wheel on the back (thankfully) but you can't have it with the radio controls on the steering wheel??? Toyota.ie warns you that the spec is not the same as the UK, but unfortunately is a bit thin on information as to what is the spec in Ireland. Strange, eh? You have a choice of either the 2.0 VVTi or the D4D, and two levels of body/trim; the Luna (€34160) and the (hugely) more expensive Sol (€40990). You can add c€1700 for the auto.

Morning Robert

I worked in the motor industry for some years before "retiring" to the train driving proffesion! I worked mainly in Europe but travelled to many places in the world and it was interesting to see how things varied. The were many vehicles in Ireland that you did not see in the UK - especially in the mid-range 3.5 to 10 tonnes segment - Mitsubishi Fuso, Isuzu, Nissan Diesel etc. These marques had made their way into the Irish market by 2000 but are only just starting to surface here in any numbers. I think to some extent because the technical and emmision requirements were different.

In the car market there were always variants available there that never saw sales here and indeed to my knowledge there is still a healthy market for importing nearly new cars here. These are variants more like Eurpean spec model but in the very convenient RHD form.

I guess the 1.8 RAV was an attempt to build a car down to a price in order to compete as your prices are already extraordinarily high. This probably applied to many of the safety features for as long as they could get away with it and rationalising the range to just 2 is another money saving technique. However, I think your requirements are on the move more than ours of late. If I remember rightly the Irish market moved to Euro IV emmisions some time before we did.

"Thunderbird 2" looks like a very well kept vehicle and I imagine they look quite impressive on the drive. Thats a lot of washing though; I hope you get some help!!!

Maybe I should add another post showing ex-UK spec vehicles. If I have a trawl I could probably find a few.

Regards

or why my lovely new 4.3 has a spare wheel on the back (thankfully) but you can't have it with the radio controls on the steering wheel???

I don't know if you can specify the steering controls on the Rav4 4.3 from new, but the 4.3 XT3 I have doesn't have them and it's a UK model.

I was a little suprised it didn't have them to be honest given that the Corolla Verso we traded in for it (T2 trim level) did have wheel controls and also a push button for starting the car. I expected that even the XT3 trim level would have similar luxuries, but I guess not. That's not to say we aren't happy with the car, far from it. We wouldn't have bought it if things like that bugged us. :)

"Thunderbird 2" looks like a very well kept vehicle and I imagine they look quite impressive on the drive. Thats a lot of washing though; I hope you get some help!!!

Oh, come on, it's Ireland. With all that soft, pure rain, no dirt would ever stick :unsure:

That is a great looking 4.2 Robert, possibly even better looking than your new 4.3 (but that too is impressive).

Not sure about that road in the background though, it looks too smooth for Ireland :D

Cheers

Not sure about that road in the background though, it looks too smooth for Ireland :D

Careful getting back onto the road off the grass...May slip only being a 2wd.... :P :P :P

Nice colour as well.... :D

or why my lovely new 4.3 has a spare wheel on the back (thankfully) but you can't have it with the radio controls on the steering wheel???

I don't know if you can specify the steering controls on the Rav4 4.3 from new, but the 4.3 XT3 I have doesn't have them and it's a UK model.

I was a little suprised it didn't have them to be honest given that the Corolla Verso we traded in for it (T2 trim level) did have wheel controls and also a push button for starting the car. I expected that even the XT3 trim level would have similar luxuries, but I guess not. That's not to say we aren't happy with the car, far from it. We wouldn't have bought it if things like that bugged us. :)

XT4 and XTR has audio controls.

XT5 and T180 has audio and blue tooth.

New XTR has add on blue tooth (not on wheel)

• 6 months later...

Just changed my June 1995 2.0 Petrol 3dr GX (which I owned from new and covered 103,000 miles - in Jersey therefore mostly at 40mph or below) for a 5dr XT3 reg'd 1 Mar 04. I'm assuming it's a 4.2 facelift (round fog lights etc) but it is still duo tone with what I'd call oyster gold paint and silver wheel arches & side stripe.

Just out of interest - I just found my original promotional material (Edition 3 Feb 1995) and price lists, accessory lists etc. From them, they quote RAV as "Recreational Active Vehicle".. to quote from page 5 of the blurb :

"The brand new Recreational Active Vehicle from Toyota means serious fun. Based on a totally new concept in 4WD design, the RAV4 has versatility built in. Yes, this stylish trend-setter is as happy in the wilds as it is in the urban jungle."

Hope the new one proves to be as much of a pleasure to own as my old faithful... but she was coming to the end, and the next service was going to cost a fortune !

Just hope I don't suffer from the dreaded DMF problem.... only read that post once I'd paid, and according to the Mr T dealer in Jersey they have had a few go even over here.... Keeping everything crossed...

Hi Jsy RAV - welcome to the Forum :yes:

the Gold and Silver two-tone paint job is quite a classy combo, I think - the duo-tone is RAV4.2 facelift is quite rare I think.

Just read through the Hhstory again and couple of things I didn't see mentioned with regards to the two RAV4.2 type models is:

Original 4.2 (Square Fogs) to Revised 4.2 (Round Fogs) added the following to the face lift:

Steering Wheel Audio Controls

Extra Air Bags .... Front Seat Side Mounted plus Curtain Air Bags

Think I am right in saying that. Not sure if there are other significant differences internally?

Not sure exactly what's different as I don't know the previous spec. But can confirm wheel mounted audio controls and curtain air bags on front (windscreen) columns etc.

Am thinking of swapping out the bog std stereo and Speakers for a double din DVD/Nav system (probably Kenwood DNX5220BT) and maybe even headrest screens for back seat (although that will be later on) - is it possible to run a mic cable up the front struts for the bluetooth kit or do you think it will be a bit dodgy given the airbags ?

prob best to post a new thread asking this question for best visibility :thumbsup:

reckon it would be ok to run acable uo the A (windscreen) Piller as long as you do it right. A few people will have fitted bluetooth kits and could advise what word and what does not (quite often the piller mounted mic picks up lots of wind noise?)

You will probably loose the steering wheel audio controls as no one seems to do a kit that allows you to use them with aftermarket stereos - if you have found one, post it!!!! I am actually just looking right for the same as you but struggling with that part.

BTW - re the airbags - if you check the other columns, you will probably see SRS logos for airbags on them as well!! (I had my RAV over a year before I noticed them!)

Not sure exactly what's different as I don't know the previous spec. But can confirm wheel mounted audio controls and curtain air bags on front (windscreen) columns etc.

Am thinking of swapping out the bog std stereo and speakers for a double din DVD/Nav system (probably Kenwood DNX5220BT) and maybe even headrest screens for back seat (although that will be later on) - is it possible to run a mic cable up the front struts for the bluetooth kit or do you think it will be a bit dodgy given the airbags ?

Also it cames with Brake Emergency Assist and VSC + TC, the steering wheel, colors and finishes of some interior parts are diferent such as the speedo panel, the Suspensions and direccion here improved and at least here in Portugal many !Removed! sold Bi-colour, The Alloy Wheels are diferent too and front grill, Healights, Fog Lights and front Bumper. Besides the Airbags the rear seats came with ISOFIX. It also comes with Automatic A/C.