Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1990 Celica St...

Deneir

I'm looking for a fun car to mod on the side, I saw a 1990 Celica ST w/155,000 miles(I love the look they have). KBB says it has a 1.6L engine, is this accurate? Are there any engines I can swap into it while keeping an automatic transmission?

If I swap in a bigger (if it'll fit) engine, and an automatic transmission that can handle it, is there anything else I need so that the car will work? The car works as is, but I want more power, and to clear the miles (hence the new engine).

I'm new to Toyota's period, been into J-body's. Sunfires, Cavaliers etc.

Thanks for your input!

-Tom

Don't get an ST you should go for a 90-94 2.0 GT / GT4.

I used to have a 1994 2.0 GT and my simple mods were k+n induction kit, splitfire plugs, magnacor 8.5mm leads and cstom back box and the throttle responce was pritty good compared to stock and the car is awsome to powerslide round mini roundabouts in the uk.

Rav..

What's the biggest engine that can fit under a GT hood? Could I make a 2.0 or 2.2L Ecotec engine work with it? (GM's newer 2003+ model engine)

What all must you replace to do an engine swap? Transmission, and.... everything pretty much? Because I'll need an ECM to match the engine specs of the swapped engine and whatnot... could someone give me a list of what i'll need to do an engine swap for a Celica GT 2.2L to be replaced with an Ecotec 2.0L or 2.2L engine? and if u can, guestimate the price per part.. thank you very much

I don't care really what type it is (GT, ST, etc.) , as long as it has this general design:

(from KBB.com)

BCTOCELST901.JPG

BCTOCELST931.JPG

I'd stay well clear of GM Ecotec engines if i was you.

Toyota's are known for their reliability unlike the GM line of engines, also you wouldnt gain anything.

If you want to go for power get a 3s-gte, fits in snug and provides 255bhp if you use a revision 3 engine, approx 200-230 for the previous revisions.

If you are going to get a celica get at least the GT (3S-GE).

Its basicly the GT4 engine minus the turbo. Can be tuned to over 200bhp.

If you can afford it go straight for a GT4.

If u get an ST(I really would not advise this route), but the 4AGZE engine is a great swap and provides great power being that it is supercharged.

If u go with the GT/GTS then go with the 2nd gen 3SGTE, great powerful engine with unlimited capabilities.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links