Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris - No Street Cred?

crazyman50000

Im not for one caring much about what other people think of my car particularly.

But I don't get how or why a Yaris has a bad image among young people.

It's apparently a girly car but so is the Ford KA and Id go out on a limb to infact say I see about 50/50 driving Yaris' so how is it girly?

It's not slow - infact performance wise the 1.3VVT-i performs very close to a Peugot 106 1.4 - on MPG, 0-60 and top speeds. Yet the 106 isn't laughed at and has a boy racer image.

In fact, it's about the same as the following :

Renault Clio 1.4

Vauxhall Corsa 1.4

VW Polo 1.4

Ford KA 1.3

Honda Jazz 1.4

Ford Focus 1.4

Skoda Fabia 1.4

Then there's the size and looks. Not overly big (like a Focus) and not overly small (like a Daewoo Matiz) but average sized so this point is a bit null and void. Reliability is high, running costs are low and reliability is excellent.

The Yaris also ranked 12th overall in the 2006 top gear survey, picked to the post by the Jazz in the Supermini category.

Im tempted to strap a £1300 turbo onto mine equalling 150bhp ish but then reality kicks in and I realise all that power isnt really required toddling to and from work at 30mph.

Yaris is a good car, despite everyone I know calling it ****...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crazyman50000

• Korny_Yaris

• Demonic Angel

• redsell

Depends who you hang out with I guess as most of my friends loved my Yaris and think my Aygo rocks!

Ok, so they're not hormone-driven young men... but to be fair, if they rate a Saxo over a Yaris then they need their head examining! :lol:

It doesnt have a bad image amongst young people - a lot of young people drive them. It's just a select few, including your mates, who seem to prefer lesser cars ;) I'd take a Yaris over a Corsa or Saxo anyday! My Aygo's never going to win the British Grand Prix, but you take a car for what it is, a reliable economical hatch.... and its the same with the Yaris. To be fair unless your mates all drive Porsches they're not in a position to comment.... :lol:

I get that at work aswell. I dont care though with my new 1.5T sport.

end of the day ive had it for 2 years and it hasnt cost me a penny! flew through MOT and service. Totally reliable and a real safe car.

Ill go through who I know, who drives what (I should warn you, it's like the small car society)

Work blokes :

Manager (28) : 1996 P Reg 1.3 Mini (commented 'nice car, dude')

Asst manager (23) : 2006 1.2 Clio (commented 'nice lookin car man')

Senior sales (18) : 2006 06 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (commented 'yeah but mine's just better')

Sales asst (21) : 2000 X Reg 1.4 Focus (commented 'not bad')

Sales asst (21) : 2003 53 Citroen C2 (commented 'I was gunna buy one of those, now Ill probably buy a Jazz')

Me! (20) : 2001 51 1.3 Toyota Yaris (commented 'CMOOON FAGBALLS!')

Sales asst (43) : No car (commented '(laughs) where's the other half?! how much did that cost ya?!')

P time sales asst (17) : ???? ?? 1.3 Ford KA (commented 'yeah, s'grown on me, looks alright')

Sales asst (28) : ???? ?? 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (commented 'looks alright dude')

Other :

Senior sales gf (18) : 1996 P reg 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (commented '*laughs* OMG?! Is that your Yaris?! Looks like a bug!')

Mate from school (20) : 2002 02 1.6 Vauxhall Astra (commented 'looks better than usual with the chrome / blue - probably handles better aswell for the 1.3')

Mate from college (20) : 2004 04 1.4 MG:ZR (commented 'yeah but it's a Yaris')

Mate from college (20) : 2003 53 1.4 Peugot 106 (commented 'salright')

So there you go. I learnt in a Corsa and the seat comfort is really bad. After a hour n half I just need to go for a walk. Mates ZR has a really hard ride. I like the comfort of the Yaris. That and Corsa's are REALLY common. Only the VXR really get's my attention, though Id rather have a Golf R32 instead as it should be screwed together a bit better. Mates 106 cuts out when idling - brilliant French craftsmanship there!

Senior sales (18) : 2006 06 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (commented 'yeah but mine's just better')

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, that tickled me muchly. You could drive a cardboard box and it'd be better than a Corsa!

Ive converted most of my mates

all 18-19

they had the usual "yaris is a girls car"

but my GS 1.0 really grew on them because of the cool little features, and how !Removed! nippy it was for a 1.0

now ive brought a T-sport and they all think its really smart. looks good, comfortable, very quick and cheap insurance. they have all driven and say it is nice, responsive and sporty, just a good all round hot hatch really.

none of them would consider buying one, because i have one and its an unwritten rule that you dont get the same car as your mate.

but theyre views on the yaris has definatley changed from when i first started driving my GS :D

i think theyre a great car, and people shouldnt knock it till theyve been in it and tried it :P

Toyotas have the old person stigma attached, but that comes from plain 'white good' Corollas in beige that just won't break down. Things have moved on, but the stupidity of people hasn't yet. VWs for example have been poor for years (in terms of reliability) but the average Joe thinks they're rock solid cars.

I had a G6 Corolla a few years ago and everyone used to comment on what a cool car it looked, yet no one had the knowledge to identify it straight off as a Corolla. When they saw the Badge, they used to laugh. When they got inside and got taken for a ride the perception changed dramatically. One apparently 'skilled' banger racer once commented "how fast is your scooby". I didn't have the heart to tell him.

At the end of the day, who cares what anyone thinks? Pay your money, take your choice. I wouldn't buy a Corsa / Fiesta even if they were genuinely good simply because too many morons thrash them around pretending they're sports cars. Some of us have to be different? I think the Yaris is in a slightly upmarket supermini segment, possibly alongside the VW Polo in that respect. You buy a car like that because you choose to, not because you can't afford anything else. I chose my Yaris over a BMW 120d because it gave a better impression when arriving at customers houses. Far too 'estate agent' for my liking. The Yaris is quite cheap still, but it doesn't give that impression in my opinion. However, the second you put any chav mods on a small, cheap car the impression changes immediately. Then you are wanting your car to be something it isn't, because you can't actually afford what you REALLY want.

Well said mate.

I did spend AGES deciding what car to buy next after my R reg Polo. Using reviews, friends recommendations, common sense and what I expected.

My criteria was this :

MUST HAVE :

Air con

5 doors

Power steering

Abs

2 air bags

Electric windows

Central locking

Do a million miles to the gallon

NCAP 4 minimum

Insurance group 4 maximum

Price range : £4k-£5k

List of cars with spec :

Honda Jazz 1.4SE

Kia Picanto 1.1LS

Toyota Yaris 1.0 / 1.3 CDX

Vauxhall Corsa 1.0/1.2/1.4 Design

Nissan Micra 1.2 S

Skoda Fabia 1.4 Silverline

VW Polo 1.4 Match

Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4 Style

Ford Focus 1.4 LX

Renault Clio 1.2 Authentique

Citroen C3 1.1 Desire

Rover 25 1.4 iXL

Daweoo Matiz 1.0 SE+ (AC)

Honda Jazz didn't get picked because the one I went to look at was mint green and then a pink one went past us driving home. I do like the look of the 08 model, however.

Kia Picanto is probably a decent car but when sat to an already small car (like a Yaris) looks smaller.

Toyota Yaris well I bought one

Corsas are just too common. Everyone who's anyone has driven one or driven behind one. That and everyone I know that's owned one has had to 'make it better' in some way.

I hate Micras - always stuck behind one driven by an old granny and I've NEVER seen one do over 30. So this was off my list.

Skoda Fabia actually got some serious thought, until I jumped inside took one look at the big grey dull lump of plastic called the dashboard and wanted out.

VW Polo I already had and based on the fact of it's a bit silly buying the same car twice IMO got kicked off.

Ford fiesta - Ford have a reputation with me for being unreliable. My Grandad would drive nothing but them and they ALWAYS broke down.

Ford focus - again, bad reputation. That and they seem about as big as a Skoda Octavia - which won FAMILY car of the year.

Renault Clio - asst manager drives one so based on this I couldn't own one. And my Renault 5 felt like it'd been shipped over as an Ikea flat pack and clipped together in the UK.

Citroen C3 - the bloke at works C2s dampers are knackered so now it continues to lean after you come out of a bend. I just don't trust French cars.

Rover 25 - mate drives one (a ZR) and now the eejits over the road have had one for about 3 weeks and have managed to loose all but 1 of the wheel trims. Add to that the infamous head gasket problem and it's a do not want!

Daewoo Matiz - again has a reputation with me. Gleaned the nickname Daweoo Death-trap by me after being reported to be in more accidents than any other car.

So there we have it. It literally was a toss up between a Jazz and a Yaris and I just like the interior more on the Yaris and the Yaris had an on-board computer. Yaris also fits in the back of my garage behind my dad's HYOOGE Skoda Superb. It's all win!

I think its a good thing to be honest ;)

because when they become "trendy" they also become targets for thieft more :(

I like the fact i dont get stared at when i drive past a group of young teens,

i guess when they turn to look at my car and their eyes follow me up the road,

it would be time to think about changing my car ;)

Strap a turbo on it if you want to, i enjoy driving my car to work with my compressor

nothing wrong with abit of fun on your drive to work :P

yep i get this at work as well cause im at a training college so its all 16-21 year olds

i get comments on how nice it looks but also people have said its girly n a hairdressers car

till i take any of them out in it

i have never had someone go out in my car, get out n say they dont like it

end of the day the yaris is different, reliable, good fun and also it your car not theres since when does there opinion matter?

i love my car to bits and anyone who doesnt agree (mainly cosra drivers)

can go screw cause when it boils down to it the yaris is a better car :)

and its just jealousy :P

Sales asst (43) : No car (commented '(laughs) where's the other half?! how much did that cost ya?!')

Senior sales gf (18) : 1996 P reg 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (commented '*laughs* OMG?! Is that your Yaris?! Looks like a bug!')

P reg Mini? No comment :lol:

The sales Assistant better start selling more so he can afford a car himself!

P reg Corsa? Don’t let her in your car as she would fall in love with it!

MG ZR? Oh dear! :lol:

You have the best car out the lot of them. Sit back and enjoy your Toyota reliability and the knowledge you have spent your hard earned money wisely :thumbsup:

I'm pretty proud of owning my Yaris and it feels like it's a bit of a statement to choose a the Yaris. I don't have the need to show off and I appreciate that it's reliable and has a quite low mpg (more friendly to the environment). I just wish that it could be driven of E85 (85% ethanol) :)

Probably one of the quickest 1.0l around appart from the aygo, c1, 107.

Had a c1 when my old car got written off and that didn't half move.

i strongly agree. even though i drive an Auris iv driving my my sisters 2003 1.3 yaris for about 3months before.

and for fun had a drag race with my friends 1.5 suzuki swift 2005 and it was very very close, even thought i lost my friends was suprise that a 1.3 could keep up with a 1.5

but when people say that the car does have a girly look to it i have to agree with them aswell, (sorry :P), i think its just the headlights that give the car a young look, which its more attracting to a girl. other than that its got a mean performance in such a small engine

i strongly agree. even though i drive an Auris iv driving my my sisters 2003 1.3 yaris for about 3months before.

and for fun had a drag race with my friends 1.5 suzuki swift 2005 and it was very very close, even thought i lost my friends was suprise that a 1.3 could keep up with a 1.5

but when people say that the car does have a girly look to it i have to agree with them aswell, (sorry :P), i think its just the headlights that give the car a young look, which its more attracting to a girl. other than that its got a mean performance in such a small engine

FUNNY! I have NEVER had anyone say a bad thing about my Yaris (exept in jest by my brother's... We do this about most things). It is designed to appeal to young European's, who seem to love it, as do older folk. It is reliable and economical... Who doesn't want that. And it can still cause the odd upset if you press the right pedal hard!

I personally have never really understood this ladies/laddies car stuff! if you like it, can afford it and buy it, good luck to you!

I think a lot of prejudice you mention still stems from Jap stuff. French, O.K. German, possibly, Ford? (Fake English) Fine but Jap? People must be frightened of completing a journey without breaking down and calling the AA?

sorry i must of mis-used the saying "strongly agree" :s infact i like the yaris is what im trying to say. just that the looks are not there for me but iv given a choice between a yaris or lets say a renault clio. id pick the yaris no second thoughts.

Hers my politcally incorrect answers to your mates and coworkers.

Before you read this its meant in a light hearted way and you should definatly not take offense if you drive anything mentioned.

P reg mini not too bad

Asst manager (23) : 2006 1.2 Clio (commented 'nice lookin car man')

Girls car remember the adverts with nicole ?

nailed together in luton will fall to bits soon enough

Sales asst (21) : 2000 X Reg 1.4 Focus (commented 'not bad')

can't really fault the focus its a good car 1.4's a bit gutless tho

Sales asst (21) : 2003 53 Citroen C2 (commented 'I was gunna buy one of those, now Ill probably buy a Jazz')

he really should have ask him how much he's lost in depresiation

Me! (20) : 2001 51 1.3 Toyota Yaris (commented 'CMOOON FAGBALLS!')

Yeah !!!

the guy has no car how can he comment

P time sales asst (17) : ???? ?? 1.3 Ford KA (commented 'yeah, s'grown on me, looks alright')

Yeah should think so cos yours is fugly

Sales asst (28) : ???? ?? 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (commented 'looks alright dude')

Oh my god is that your corsa it looks like s**t !!

Mate from school (20) : 2002 02 1.6 Vauxhall Astra (commented 'looks better than usual with the chrome / blue - probably handles better aswell for the 1.3')

todays astra is tomorrows skip

Yeah but the yaris is worth more cos toyota didn't go bust and have to sell up to a 3rd world country.

Mate from college (20) : 2003 53 1.4 Peugot 106 (commented 'salright')

just turn his 106 on its roof.

HAHAHAHA brilliant!

I like the 1 abt the corsa looking like s**t, laughed my ***** off.

Nice 1 mate.

Right, had a bit of a drag race last night with against my mates 1.4 206.

I won by about my bonnet length.

Point is - a 1.3 beat a 1.4. And one is revered as a crappy girls car, the other is meant to be 'well wikkid' :rolleyes:

Right, had a bit of a drag race last night with against my mates 1.4 206.

I won by about my bonnet length.

Point is - a 1.3 beat a 1.4. And one is revered as a crappy girls car, the other is meant to be 'well wikkid' :rolleyes:

Think about this one..........................that is why young mens insurance premiums are so high ;)

It was on a deserted car park at 5 to 11 at night...

And my car's not modified, but as someone already mentioned, 16V > 8V

Even a 1.0L 16V > 1.2 12V