Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris - No Street Cred?

crazyman50000

I also get comments from the guys at work for my Yaris T-Sport. Everyone but the people that have either driven one, or know anything about cars rate it very highly.

The people who have no experience in them think it's a girl car. Yes, I am a 20 year old driving a red yaris, but it's the best car colour. Stands out above everything else! (Except pink and lime green etc!.)

Also, the people who mock the Yaris mostly consist of Mondildo... sorry! 'Mondeo' drivers and Fiat Punto drivers. They're always very cocky until you challenge em for a race down the ol' Aerodrome and then they're suddenly busy.

I've smoked so many 'boy-racer' type cars I have lost count. (Not while racing, but whilst getting up to the speed limit on public roads... and dual lane > single lane roads). :rolleyes:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crazyman50000

• Korny_Yaris

• Demonic Angel

• redsell

Im also 20 and mine's Metallic Blue.

Next door's got a Ford Mundane.

Id love a race with my nans Fabia 1.2 3 cylinder just for a **** take.

My last car was a Mondeo 1.8, fairly quick with tidy handling considering the size. One of the best cars on the road in my opinion. Bland but excellent.

My last car was a Mondeo 1.8, fairly quick with tidy handling considering the size. One of the best cars on the road in my opinion. Bland but excellent.

Except a Skoda Superb is cheaper, better to drive, is cheaper and does more to the gallon. Oh, and rarer and more reliable.

My dad has the 1.9 PTDI 130 which ****ing flies for a saloon. And to think they stuck the same engine in a Fabia (1.9 VRS)

Id like something fast as my next car but then logic kicks in which says I never really go above 30 and petrol's already £1/L so it'd probably be another Yaris (probably a new SR) next.

Im not for one caring much about what other people think of my car particularly.

But I don't get how or why a Yaris has a bad image among young people.

It's apparently a girly car but so is the Ford KA and Id go out on a limb to infact say I see about 50/50 driving Yaris' so how is it girly?

It's not slow - infact performance wise the 1.3VVT-i performs very close to a Peugot 106 1.4 - on MPG, 0-60 and top speeds. Yet the 106 isn't laughed at and has a boy racer image.

In fact, it's about the same as the following :

Renault Clio 1.4

Vauxhall Corsa 1.4

VW Polo 1.4

Ford KA 1.3

Honda Jazz 1.4

Ford Focus 1.4

Skoda Fabia 1.4

Then there's the size and looks. Not overly big (like a Focus) and not overly small (like a Daewoo Matiz) but average sized so this point is a bit null and void. Reliability is high, running costs are low and reliability is excellent.

The Yaris also ranked 12th overall in the 2006 top gear survey, picked to the post by the Jazz in the Supermini category.

Im tempted to strap a £1300 turbo onto mine equalling 150bhp ish but then reality kicks in and I realise all that power isnt really required toddling to and from work at 30mph.

Yaris is a good car, despite everyone I know calling it ****...

Hello,

This post great - like the comments from your workmates

I think why people rate corsas, clios, 206's, fi 106's, saxo's etc.. is 'eis wickkid' is bsaically because of so many modified versions of them and the amount of bodykits, tuning kits, suspensions upgrades, side skirts , exhaust kits for them. They're also cheap to buy and parts are cheaper to fix if they smoke they clutch whilst doing a dononut in the local car park at 1am in the morning impressing scantily dressed females who feed on petrol fumes and egocentrism testerone filled male risk taking sense of electrifying excitement thrills i.e want to dice with death. Another thing is conforming to peer pressure, if they're mate have a corsa, clio or whatever, they have to have one as well but outdo them with outrageous bodykits and engine tuning. The best thing is for them is if they crash it - they can buy another one because they are so cheap whether it be second hand and or even new. Some buy them becasue of free insurance etc..

Whereas a Yaris is like - different league. i.e. you differentiate yourself by not conforming and also making the wise and smart choice.

The yaris is a more mature, sensible image car. It's also because so many old people drive them as well which is why yaris is not as kool as the other cars as you mention.

To be honest - I reckon they are jealous because they couldn't afford to buy a Yaris in the first place. BTW I've also had a second hand 1 year old ford ka luxury as a first car - didn't last 10,000 miles in 8 months either. Spark disintergrated at 20mph round a corner and it was only 2 days after service. The interior was awful and is very cramped in the back and the boot - well thats pretty useless as well.

Stick with the Yaris- you know it's a sensible and wise choice and so do your mates but they won;t admit it becasue they either jelous or wish they had bought one themselve but because of ego they won;t admit it.

My next car's looking more and more like another Yaris.

It might be either a 1.3 T3 or SR - the 1.8 doesn't deliver enough on MPG and the routes on which I drive would'nt be worth it.

Depends if mine throws any major wobbleys in the next 3 years or so...

Well - here in Denmark, a Yaris is either a small "Old mands car", "Mr. Over carefull" or "A girls car"... So - i get a lot of hack for my choice of car, from most of the people i know... But - i don't give a sh..! :)

The car is exellent - i haven't had any problems at all with my 2005 Yaris 1,4 D-4D (37.300 miles). It just runs like clockwork... :)

I use my car for everyday use and trackdays - and i don't drive like an old man on the track... ;) I'm quite impressed that the car still runs - my old 106 GTI would certainly have given up, if i had put the same stress on the car, as i do on the Yaris... A strong little car - i'm impressed!

And - i love when a Honda Integra Type-R or Corolla AE86 has to move over on the track, while a little Yaris Diesel overtakes them... That's fun! :D

the only people that comment about tsports in a bad way (like: whyd you get that :S) are people that know jack ***** about cars. (only had one comment like that so far)

:)

anyone i know whos into theyre cars / performance cars have all loved it, which i was happy with :P

My mates Astra has started to fall apart now. 2002 on a 52 plate and the head gasket went, now it misfires like a !Removed!. He's took it back to Vauxhall 3-5 times and it's still not fixed. I said to him "please tell me you're not buying another !Removed! Pauxhall?!"

He replied "nah, German or Jap cars now for me" which is exactly what I said about 4 months ago.

I feel sorry for the bloke, he's in pretty much the same boat as I am in life in general (job, money etc) and spent about £2,500 on his Astra (considering my Yaris was £5,300) and just wants a decent reliable car.

He's not buying a Yaris based on the fact I own one, and he works for VW anyway. So he's settled on a 1.9 Golf TDi - which I think is fair enough.

I got up my old MOT info for my Yaris - nothings ever gone wrong with it except brake shoes and tyre's - which is a given consumable of any car anyway.

I liked my Yaris from day 1 but everyday it's growing on me now.

I keep waiting for the dude at works 2006 Corsa to break. He's already took it back to the dealer because he couldn't get one of his alloys off (flat tyre) because he broke the locking wheel nut. Supposed to cost £300 but he got it waived after it wasn't really his fault. So far Ive only had to buy paint for mine :lol:

Hers my politcally incorrect answers to your mates and coworkers.

Before you read this its meant in a light hearted way and you should definatly not take offense if you drive anything mentioned.

Manager (28) : 1996 P Reg 1.3 Mini (commented 'nice car, dude')

P reg mini not too bad

Asst manager (23) : 2006 1.2 Clio (commented 'nice lookin car man')

Girls car remember the adverts with nicole ?

Senior sales (18) : 2006 06 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (commented 'yeah but mine's just better')

nailed together in luton will fall to bits soon enough

Sales asst (21) : 2000 X Reg 1.4 Focus (commented 'not bad')

can't really fault the focus its a good car 1.4's a bit gutless tho

Sales asst (21) : 2003 53 Citroen C2 (commented 'I was gunna buy one of those, now Ill probably buy a Jazz')

he really should have ask him how much he's lost in depresiation

Me! (20) : 2001 51 1.3 Toyota Yaris (commented 'CMOOON FAGBALLS!')

Yeah !!!

Sales asst (43) : No car (commented '(laughs) where's the other half?! how much did that cost ya?!')

the guy has no car how can he comment

P time sales asst (17) : ???? ?? 1.3 Ford KA (commented 'yeah, s'grown on me, looks alright')

Yeah should think so cos yours is fugly

Sales asst (28) : ???? ?? 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (commented 'looks alright dude')

Senior sales gf (18) : 1996 P reg 1.2 Vauxhall Corsa (commented '*laughs* OMG?! Is that your Yaris?! Looks like a bug!')

Oh my god is that your corsa it looks like s**t !!

Mate from school (20) : 2002 02 1.6 Vauxhall Astra (commented 'looks better than usual with the chrome / blue - probably handles better aswell for the 1.3')

todays astra is tomorrows skip

Mate from college (20) : 2004 04 1.4 MG:ZR (commented 'yeah but it's a Yaris')

Yeah but the yaris is worth more cos toyota didn't go bust and have to sell up to a 3rd world country.

Mate from college (20) : 2003 53 1.4 Peugot 106 (commented 'salright')

just turn his 106 on its roof.

Oh great, now I have to clean that last mouthful of coffee off my laptop... :rolleyes:

The Toyota Yaris - 4 out of 5 Product Designers prefer it! ;-)

A

Does it really matter what other people think of your car? If it did, then we'd all be selling our motors every time someone said something bad about them! :lol:

Okay, I'm an oldie but I bought my Yarii (I'm on my second) for a lot of reasons. Convenience, good stowage for a small car (also why mine has five doors!) reliability, looks, fuel economy, etc.

I didn't buy it so I could turn heads and beat other cars at traffic lights (just as well!) and I so don't care what others think of it.

Having said that, I've had a lot of great comments about it. Those that have travelled in it are amazed by how comfortable it is and one mini owning friend (albeit with a lot less experience of driving, particularly on Welsh roads) couldn't keep up with it. My excuse was we were going for my fist flight in anything so I thought I was going to die anyway! I'm joking! :yes:

It's your car, just enjoy. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

Pugs and citroens have redefined Murphy's law, which originally states "anything that can go wrong will infact do so" - on a pug even what cannot ever conceivably go wrong does so sooner while on citroen it does later.

Tell your boss to fire the C2 sales representative - to by such a car s/he definitly has some genetical abberation!!

Pugs and citroens have redefined Murphy's law, which originally states "anything that can go wrong will infact do so"

Well said - there are quite a bit of thruth in those words... :) Been there - done that! With a history of Pugs (106 XS 1,4, 106 1,6 GTI, 206 1,4 HDI, 306 1,6 GLX, 405 2,0 Mi16) i can only agree. They drive like a frontwheel-drive BMW - but they break down like no other car... Incl. my VW's (Polo, Vento) :)

- on a pug even what cannot ever conceivably go wrong does so sooner while on citroen it does later.

Rubbish! It's the same cars and parts... Take the Saxo and the 106 - they are like identical twin... They are the same cars - only the bumpers, dash etc. are different. The body, suspension, engines, parts etc. are the same... :)

i have many male friends who own yarises or aygos. i dont see how people can say its a girls car! why do people stereotype cars? i had a rover 25 before my yaris and i had goodenss knows how many comments on "thats an old persons car" but technically rovers r really good runners and are cheap..they are just not worth anything after you buy one you might as well drive it to the scrappies when your done..dad paid £3,600 for mine and 3 years later it was worth £500.

my conclusion is, your car is what you make it!

idk what to say...i owned a 2006 yaris 1.3..and my colleagues said its a girl's car..hate it when people said that...we saved money to buy the car, we own the car and we tried to make the car look awesome...hate it most when ppl started to compare my car with other new cars like the new Sirion and not even less the Mazda2...having to have unseen frens like you all makes me stronger!!! haha ;) go Yaris!!!

Just got a quote on next year (well this year's) insurance - £700ish on the Yaris (21 w/ 1 year NCB)

Or I could save up a lot of money and buy a new toy in 2009 in the shape of a 1.9 Seat Ibiza Sport 130bhp - but my mate said it'd end up on its roof / round a tree due to lack of experience.

I've never heard anyone claim Yaris being a girly car. I've never even thaught that of it. How can people say it is?

Oh, and btw, I hate my Yaris. I really hate it. But don't start flaming me just yet, 'cause I also love it. Really depends on what aspect I form my opinion from, yeah sure it's a great car but as a matter of fact, there are some whining points.

Just about everything that can be loose in the car is vibrating enough to create way too much noise when I crank up the stereo to my volume of liking. (or drive faster than 70km/h) And whenever I press down the accelerator, NOTHING HAPPENS :( It feels like I'm trying to race with a rhino, although I am riding what to the size looks like a squirrel.

But also, the driving position is the best I've ever tried out, no doubt about that. The speedometer is perfect although I'd like having the tachometer more precise.

Oh, and by winter the Yaris doesn't grip the road at all, the rear end is oftenly the end that let's loose at first, if the front wheels aren't plowing through the slush of the road that is. And drifting the Yaris is a bit harder, since an angle of above approx 40 degrees results in loosing grip completely and runnning the same way all until the car stops no matter what you do with the steering wheel and pedals. :(

But overall, yeah it's one hell of a car I'd recommend to anyone not seeking a racing car. ;)

Nothing happens?! What have you got?! The 1 Litre?! If I pop mine in second and stick my foot down you feel the torque. There's not a lot of it, but it pushes you along nicely.

Yes, I've got the 1 litre with 68 hp. I can too feel the torque at around 3800-4800 rpms. But that vanishes in an instant if you compare it to the seconds it takes to actually get there! :P It comes first around 50km/h in 2nd gear if I'm not mistaken.

0-100km/h (0-60mph) in 15 point something seconds, yey! (and that's without any passengers..)

I've a 1l and it shifts along nicely for me! Pulls nicely in 2nd past about 3.5k rpm!

I don't tend to get any rattling with the sub going! But surely..if its loud enough, you wouldnt hear the rattling?

I ain't got a sub. :) You can clearly hear stuff that's loose while driving past 70km/h (40~ mph if you rather use that unit I dunno which you use) in the doors and the areas to hold stuff. I did remove alot of noise by removing stuff that's not neccesary storing in the various areas like pens, coins etc but that only eliminated some noise.

I ain't got a sub. :) You can clearly hear stuff that's loose while driving past 70km/h (40~ mph if you rather use that unit I dunno which you use) in the doors and the areas to hold stuff. I did remove alot of noise by removing stuff that's not neccesary storing in the various areas like pens, coins etc but that only eliminated some noise.

Having cr*p like that in there anyway ensures you get rattling! :P But at least it was better than before!

• 2 weeks later...
Im not for one caring much about what other people think of my car particularly.

But I don't get how or why a Yaris has a bad image among young people.

It's apparently a girly car but so is the Ford KA and Id go out on a limb to infact say I see about 50/50 driving Yaris' so how is it girly?

It's not slow - infact performance wise the 1.3VVT-i performs very close to a Peugot 106 1.4 - on MPG, 0-60 and top speeds. Yet the 106 isn't laughed at and has a boy racer image.

In fact, it's about the same as the following :

Renault Clio 1.4

Vauxhall Corsa 1.4

VW Polo 1.4

Ford KA 1.3

Honda Jazz 1.4

Ford Focus 1.4

Skoda Fabia 1.4

Then there's the size and looks. Not overly big (like a Focus) and not overly small (like a Daewoo Matiz) but average sized so this point is a bit null and void. Reliability is high, running costs are low and reliability is excellent.

The Yaris also ranked 12th overall in the 2006 top gear survey, picked to the post by the Jazz in the Supermini category.

Im tempted to strap a £1300 turbo onto mine equalling 150bhp ish but then reality kicks in and I realise all that power isnt really required toddling to and from work at 30mph.

Yaris is a good car, despite everyone I know calling it ****...

I love my yaris! dont care about anyone else!