Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mr2 Or Gt Four

Johnny Rocket

This might be the wrong post in the MR2 section but you guys know best. I want to upgrade my car and am torn Between the Celica GT Four or a MR2. I don't know much about the MR2 so info like bhp, 0-60 times etc would be helpful. It would be an import I would be getting. Advice and info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

All depends on what sort of car you want, and style etc

Obviously the mr2 is rear wheel drive so that makes it very fun lol i have a uk spec and am very pleased with it but do get bored with the speed sometimes hence why im getting a gt4 st185 :D

Clicky for Bhp 0-60 times etc Not sure how good this site is and how accurate but gives you an idea what your looking for.

End of the day they are both very good cars, mr2s are not so great in the damp let alone wet whereas the gt4 is 4 wheel drive so will be excellent.

Need more info really what your after etc

hth

andy

All depends on what sort of car you want, and style etc

Obviously the mr2 is rear wheel drive so that makes it very fun lol i have a uk spec and am very pleased with it but do get bored with the speed sometimes hence why im getting a gt4 st185 :D

Clicky for Bhp 0-60 times etc Not sure how good this site is and how accurate but gives you an idea what your looking for.

End of the day they are both very good cars, mr2s are not so great in the damp let alone wet whereas the gt4 is 4 wheel drive so will be excellent.

Need more info really what your after etc

hth

andy

Cheers for that mate

Didn't realise the GT4 was four wheel drive. Must stick to the road like glue. I want something thats got around 250bhp and has good 0-60 and top end speed. I just bought the celica ss2 and as much as I love it I now want more power especially after joining this site. I have always loved the 2 for style but think it is getting a bit dated looking and I'm not too keen on the pop up head lights but then again the rear wheel drive could be a lot of fun as I've never owned a rear wheel drive car.

Johnny

As others have said, it depends what you want from the car, they're chalk and cheese.

Without doubt, the GT4 sticks to the road better, especially in poor conditions, but it's a big heavy beast that can be quite expensive to run; especially the Gen 5, though if you don't like the pop ups, then I guess you won't be buying one of those. The MR2 is so much lighter and very rewarding to drive, but they're a bit less forgiving than the GT4 if you go too far.

On good dry roads, I think the MR2 is more fun to drive than the GT4; even an N/A T-Bar bar is quick enough and handles well enough to be a lot of fun, even if it's not the fastest car on the road. There's just something about the way a mid-engine car handles that you don't get from anything else. I regularly drive a FWD, RWD and a 4WD car and none of them are a patch on the MR2 in that respect.

If you need space in your car then there's no doubt the GT4 is a lot more practical, though the Mk1 and 2 MR2s is are quite spacious as small sports cars go; you can get a set of golf clubs and a fold up trolley in the boot of of a Mk2 quite easily for example, and there aren't many mid engined cars with that capacity. Even the Boxster only takes a specially designed Porsche mini golf bag, and that's enough to fill its boot. The front storage compartments on the MR2 are relatively small though.

You should drive both and see what you think, then make a choice according which suits your needs, and which you most enjoy driving.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

If you've never had a RWD turbo car I'd possibly say, go for the GT4 (if it's the st205).

I've owned quite a few RWD and 4WD cars and the 4WD give you alot more confidence, especially in damp conditions.

Rough figures from what i've read are:

GT4 Gen 5 (ST185?), 185 bhp UK/200bhp JDM 0-60 7 secs top speed 145ish

GT4 Gen 6 (St205), 250Bhp, 0-60 6 secs top speed 150ish

Mr2 Mk1, 124bhp 0-60 8 secs top speed 122

Mr2 Mk2 N/A (depending on revision), 154bhp/168bhp 0-60 7.2/7.7 and top speed 135ish

Mr2 Turbo rev 1/2 220bhp 0-60 6 secs, top speed 150ishmph

Mr2 Turbo rev 3+ 0-60 5.5 secs top speed 160ishmph

So what your really want is a mk1.5 0-60 4.9, top speed 160ish.

From sounds of it i would get a celica gt4 st205 as they are usually 250 bhp standard as said above although the st185 is between 200-220 or something like that depending on what model you have.

Mr2 Turbo is also good but probaly rubbish for this time of year but great in spring/summer and as said above bhp is also good.

All down to your personal taste and most importantly your budget

Having become seriously addicted to Fast Toyota's, I've had them all. Funny but, it took driving a subaru imprezza, to make up my mind.

The scooby is probably one of the best drivers cars EVER!! If you've never driven one. Its a must! There really is nothing else like it, out there. Except, lots of other scoobys!

I meant to suggest buying a GT4 Turbo, but to be honest, i was a bit dissapointed. You have to understand a bit about motorsport history, to get it.

Up untill the advent of group B, rally cars had all been RWD, except the mini,(thats another story).

When 4WD entrants, such as the Audi Quattro hit the stages, they were so much faster, it became clear that 4WD was the way ahead, that was 1981. By 1986, every entrant was 4WD, and it had become clear that the old Audi was just too long and heavy to beat the likes of Pug's 205 T16, and the Lancia Delta S4.

Where were Toyota? Nowhere!! The Celica was developed, with beating the Quattro in mind. Its just, every body else had jumped light-years ahead. Audi spent shed loads trying to make the old tub keep up, but it was no good. I dont think the guys at Toyota realised, just how outdated their efforts had become.

Every thing changed in 1987. The rules changed. Bringing every body back down to earth! Audi were out. Every body had cars they couldnt race,(Anyone remember Rallycross!). It beacame a farce. In '87 Lancia rallyed a version of their road going Delta, with a measly 250BHP, and won! It was nothing like the 450BHP Spaceframed special they had previously run, and that let Toyota back into the competition! Why Toyota never put their efforts into making good with the Corolla, is clear. They didnt have too! Sainz and the Celica meekly, inherited the WRC crown, even though the Celica was by 1982's standards, shoddy. It wasn't untill The Imprezza came along, that the stakes were raised. Finally. The Corolla WRC was born..

So, go buy DAWSEY'S Ae92 3sgte. Its what Toyota should have done.

hey buddy

i have this for sale

>>shameless attempt to sell without subscription removed<<

but its not a GT4...

I was thinking along the same lines as urself (as in topic starter) i was thinking, "lets go get a 1.6 Mr2" (if there is such a thing.)

But coming across this topic it seems that the GT4 is everyones fave for speed performance...What would ya'll think of cars for just driving? i personally dont want to rag about or what not, i need to travel 98miles a day, so i need a car that is reliable and fun to drive...So same question with this in mind?

Mr Redneck... the GT4 is quite dull in 1st and 2nd gear untill you get a manual boost controller thrown in and raise the boost to a safe 16psi.

This then also removes the boost restrictions in 1st and 2nd gear giving you full boost from the off and it really transforms the car.

The MR2 turbo is the best by far in terms of a rewarding drive personally speaking having owned both cars over the last few years but then you have to be paitent with the MR2 tubby to get the best out of it.

The rev 3 MR2 turbo hits 60 in 5.2 sec and can do in excess of 160mph which i can vouch for as i managed 163mph ish according to a apexi gizmo on the way back from the nurburgring.

Ok. Differences aside..

Rev 3 Turbo MR2, if you choose, or a well modded GT4 Turbo.

That 3sgte engine is by far, the best, motor. EVER!! Developed with Yamaha. Its an amazing two litres of motorbike engine, and its been turbocharged, Sounds absolutely awesome, in your car!!

Do not buy an MR2/GT4 N/A. They are too big and slow, lacking balance. I cant see the point of buying a car thats only half of what its builders intended. I had a non turbo Rev 2 MR2. It handled brilliantly, but didnt have the punch to match the swing.

If you must insist on a normally aspirated. Get a Mk1 MR2. Its small, light and quick.

If you've never done all that tail out, RWD, or four wheel drive powerslides. Then i reckon you should get the ideal place to start is the GT4 Turbo.(Go for a latter one. The one with the liquid cooled intercooler).

Remember... We live in a golden age. Once you get bored, chop it in and try something new. :lol:

Dont need to be well modded.. lol.. £17.50 for a manual boost controller.. a new cat back zorst and filter will set you back about £400. :P

Anyway... your right in saying that the GT4 would be better for a newbie to the turbo world of 3SGTE but then i went from a FWD NA ST182 celica to a Rev 3 MR2 Turbo and loved it.

Never span out on the roads... left that for the track! :lol:

Whatever one you get you have to repect the car and it will in turn be rewarding for you as you learn the handling characteristics gradually. :)

I agree with fizz here and hes right you just got to learn how to drive and respect the car, you always start somewhere so why not mr2 turbo.

But i also see Rednecks point of view to as for a first turbo car a gt4 is alot easier to handle than a mr2 especially in the wet lol

Its all down to perosnal taste really

Redneck where from the isle of wight are you?

Cheers for all the advice guys.

I have made my decision. I'm goin to keep the celca ss2 for the wet days and buy the MR2 for the fun days. I'm a pretty good driver and do learn any car before I open the taps so as you said y not buy the best performance and handling ie. MR2.

This the leads me onto my next question. Which MR2 (Obviously a turbo).?

Cheers guys

I'd argue you can have a lot of fun with the N/A MR2s, but if you're after something very fast then yes, the tubbies are where it's at.

In that case you're probably looking at Mk2 which for my money's the most practical MR2, though perhaps not the very best handling one.

I'd say go for a Rev 3 or newer if you can - preferably a Rev 5 if you can find one.

T-Bar or Coupe? I love the T-Bars, but if you're not bothered about having the roof off then the coupe is probably stiffer and therefore better, and you won't have to worry about finding one that doesn't leak.

Good luck.

this all depends on your budget but as said rev 3 turbos are better, but rev 1 and 2's are still just as good

Rev1 or 2's are decent and can be bought for cheapness (turbos)... then mod them to death!!

My old Mr2 was a great example of this! (wasn't cheap when I bought it though!!)