Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Front Spotlights

Goldeneye243

A quick question,

I have sometimes left my front spots on, and occasionally get flashed by other drivers. Does anyone know if it is illegal? Or do some people just take exception to it?

Cheers.

Its dependant on your local force

Up here in Cumbria, 12months ago the police said they would be stopping everyone who used foglights inappropriatelly. just basically to moan at them as they have no real legislation. however, it does give them an excuse to climb all over you and your car, check the documents etc so it would be a deterant.

Otherwise, I think its basically just like using your main-beams inapropriately, and to be honest it is horrible to have two dazling fogs in your rear view. That said in car brochures nearly all the photos have the cars with foggies on during the day and in certain cars it does look good.

But be fair, they are a pain in the backside when there in your rear view, so just drive thoughtfully :thumbsup:

according to the dealer where my dad bought his T-spirit from and TMUK they say they arent foggies just driving lights due to they are not that bright so are totally Legal. My dad giot stopped and got fined so appealed n the lawyer contacted TMUK and they said ther are legal to use anytime.

In Western Australia it is a $ 150 fine for using driving lights when not required plus 3 demerit points on your licence... Pretty damn harsh... :angry:

This is taken from the highway code (Rules 94, 201 & 211)

You MUST NOT

*use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users

*use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users. [Law RVLR reg 27]

The last bit refers to the relevant law (Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989). The police are well within thier rights to fine you for having your fogs on. Most people use thier rear fogs innapropriately anyway as you aren't supposed to use them until visibility is below 100m (not half a mile as most users on the roads seem to think).

Personally I'm all for fines and points for using them innapropriately (obviously, you have to allow for people "forgetting" to switch them off). At least then I'll be able to see where I'm driving at night.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links