Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Saying Hi With Question About Fitting An Oil Catch Can..

xpeterpx

Just saying hi with some questions,please.

91 Rev1 n/a owner by the way...........

Can you please help me fit my oil catch can-its really doing my head in.

It sounds really quite simple but I really need to get this right 1st time.No idea what pipes go where and to be honest I have no mechanical knowledge...

Am I right in thinking that there is a pipe that runs under the manifold to under the throttle sensor?

Does this get completely removed and I run a pipe from under the manifold to catch can then from catch can to the nipple under the throttle sensor..

Do I need to block anything off?Remove anything completey to fit this thing?I've seen vague pics of nipples on top of the manifold being blocked off

Apologies for the vague description.

I just know I need pictures on this one!

Cheers for the advice and look forward to speaking with you all soon ;)

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

You can fit an oil catch can.. :P

Most fit one, when running a dry sump set up, but if not...

I can't see the point, personally. As, even though you remove those gassy fumes from the inlet. It also means that there is no lube in the tract, and the emissions/mixture will need sorting. Then, at some point the can will overflow, or block the breathers, and you'll run out of oil. Cos, its all in the can and not the sump! :!Removed!:

Nah!! Might seem a bit of bother, but if you keep your eye on the ball, so to speak. It should be ok! :thumbsup:

The idea is the same. No matter what the motor.

The breathers are put there to take hot oily gasses away from the crankcase and rocker-cover. Thus, keeping pressure down, within the case. Whilst removing those gasses, cleanly. From the engine.

Some would say that these gasses contaminate what would otherwise have been nice clean air to your intake. So, if you remove the pipework feed to the inlet manifold. The resulting 'hole' will need blanking off. Simple.

Do not, blank off the breather pipes. These are what you will have to plumb to your catch tank, situate them high in the tank. Happy Days!!

I wouldnt bother though. Certainly wouldnt recommend catch can usage on a road car..

Can't see the point. What are you trying to acheive?

Cheers for that thought..its put another perspective on things..

Ok,first of all heres my rough setup as I dont quite know where my can is going to be situated if I decide to keep it ...

I've removed completely the pipe from the rocker cover to the throttle body and 'plumbed' in my catch can between the two..

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/xpeterpx/DSCN0237.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/xpeterpx/DSCN0236.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/xpeterpx/DSCN0235.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/xpeterpx/DSCN0234.jpg

Also,heres what tempted me in the first place..taken from the mr2 owners club Uk

All manufacturers are required to minimise environmental damage. Part of the emission control system is called PCV or positive crankcase ventilation. Hot oil vapour and combustion gases are passed back into the air intake so that they can burnt as a part of the intake charge.

Allowing the engine to draw in cold air increases engine power. The PCV is feeding hot oil vapour and gases into the intake thus increasing the intake charge temperature and polluting the nice clean air being drawn into the engine.

An oily mist will also build up in the intake manifiold.

The catch can works by making the vapour pass into a chamber, which collects the hot oil vapour by allowing it to condense. What's left if then fed back into the intake to be burn.

A cheaper option in a PCV or Breather filter. This tries to catch the muck and allows the gases to enter the atmosphere. It can lead to the engine bay being splattered with an oily mist!

Toyota engineers started fitting a catch can as standard on all revision 3+ 3S-GTE engines.

Peter Jones

Copyright © by MR2 Owners Club All Right Reserved.

Copyright © by MR2 Owners Club All Right Reserved.

Author

Date & Time --

Revision

Please let me have your thoughts on whether I am making a right decision by installing it!...

Regards

Peter

Looks good Peter!

Def didnt want to put you off the idea of fitting the catch can. :)

Cant fault it. Replacing oily case emissions, with nice clean air. Its got to be a winner. :toast:

Its a simple enough installation, but you have to keep an eye on things though, you may end up with blocked breathers which is bad. I wanted to see if you where aware of what you where doing. In the long term, emptying the can and checking breather function, will just add another job to your vehicle's maintenance schedule. So its no biggy.

I'd be well interested in hearing what performance gains are realised with this modification. Its not one that the average peeps seem to go for, but maybe they should!!

Also i'm not sure about your idea of the can recirculating oil back to the inlet. I think it should be a one way system, right?

Those breather filters.

I bought a 205 Gti. Where someone foolish enough to think it was a good idea, had litterally just cut the breather pipes in two, and had slotted two filters in place! Needless to say. The area's around the breather filters had become spattered with gloopy oil residue. By putting filters on the inlet side. He'd actually added extra mini little air filter cones!! The Twazook.

All the best for a good build!

Brad

No offense, but I wouldn't take much tech advise from the OC... I have read so much tripe on there recently it's unbelievable! The imoc knowledgebase is far superior amongst it's members.

Catch cans, to my knowledge weren't installed as OEM by Toyota on the Rev3+ 3S engines... I know, I had one. :rolleyes:

Secondly, the oil vapours circulating through the PCV hose is so minor no differences will be made to performance.

The only benifits of a catch can is to prevent actual oil circulating back into the engine via the induction system. Not really a problem on road cars, but on track cars where the engine is constantly run at very high rpm and exposed to extreme g-forces a catch can can help.

You will not do your engine any harm by fitting one, but your pocket will just feel uneccessarily lighter if your car is used predominantly on the road :thumbsup:

Oh - and the cheapo eBay items are useless and vent nearly as much oil/vapours as without ;)

Cheers guys,many thanks for the feedback...have to be honest -I posted on IMOC and didn't get much of a response..(also looks like the site has been hacked now,so it may be some time before I can get on there :o )...

Ive spotted this,which was the reason I decided to fit one in the end-hope it works......

http://files.mr-2.org/video/catchcangunk1.zip

Just shows what it can catch.

Also,you mention a breather...does this mean an actual filter on the end of the can?

Will there be more benefit from this instead of feeding the pipe back into the throttle body like I have now?

Cheers

Peter

In three years and 10 000 track miles in my MK1, I have only had to empty my can once in that time - and it's not a large can.

I also run a clear hose between the can and the trottle body so I can see How much oil in the vapour is still traveling through. And the is still some.

I have seen some people use the little pipercross vent filter thingy's on the "output" of the can and plug up the PCV port on the throttle body / inlet manifold which obviously prevents any vapour or fluid making it's way back into the induction system.

But then why bother with the catch can in the first place? Just disconnect the PCV hose from cam covers and fit the vent filter thingy directly to the cam cover and plug up the inlet manifold / throttle body...

I think the gases must play a role in the running of the engine as it's not just Toyota who use PCV hoses between the cam covers and induction inlets. I have seen them on Hondas, Fords, Vauxhalls, Rovers, Mitsi and even more exotic metal like Ferrari and Noble - none of which have oil catch cans as standard to my knowledge.

In the MR2 race series - the engines must remain standard and oil catch cans are prohibited. The engines don't suffer performance losses or problems as a result. Makes you think ;)

I only use the catch can as I was getting tired of cleaning the air filter (attached directly to the trottle body) every month due to oil residue working it's way past the throttle butterfly on nestling nicely onto the gauze.

I agree with G, on one thing. Absolutely. There is no point at all in plumbing your breathers to the catch can, then back to the inlet. If you plunb back to the inlet. Then you'll have negated any benefit from the development. :(

In trying to remove PCV gassses from the tract, but by actually returning the catch cans contents to the inlet, you'll be returning the function of the PCV breathers back to normal!! Oily inlet tract! DOH!! You need to plumb the PCV or breathers to the can, block the hole's created by this, in the inlet. Also, vent the catch can to air. So your catch can is not pressurised.

I beleive this to be a worthy mod. Many motorbike's are fitted with catch cans. Its popular to use an empty Redbull can, and just stuff the case breathers in the top. :rolleyes:

Ommitedly, you have to drive very hard, to experience any sort of surge of oil through the PCV, but it can happen. 99.9% of the time, or 100% of the time, if you drive like System G. You just wont see any benefit at all.(Sorry G! :blink: ).

I had an Astra GTE, many years ago. 16 valve, i used to think i was Colin Mcrae! :yahoo:

When it was canned round a long right-hand bend, that led into a sharper left hander. There would be an almighty bogging down, followed by a huge plume of smoke. It was discovered that oil had been being pushed into the inlet, via the PCV...

All in all, its worth isolating the inlet tract, so it'll only ever suck on fresh air.

All the best with the build,

Brad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links