Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Service Due

SMW

Well my Aygo is due a 30 000 mile service shortly and is booked in early December with Mr T.

At the same time the car will become 2 years old and I've just noticed in the service manual that Toyota specify a brake fluid flush and renew at 2 years.

Question is will my warranty be affected if I don't get this done and just get a service ?

I'm only using Mr T to maintain the warranty - if I need the brake fluid change as well I might just give up on the 3 rd year of warranty cover and offset the cost against a service at an independant.

Any thoughts . . . . .

That is surely worth a question to your dealer. Have you had the Lexus done in line with manufacturers recommendations? I know brake fluid is hygroscopic, and absorbs water over time, but as it is in a sealed system, just how important it is is surely up to you? If you do have it changed, could you give us some idea of the cost please? Cheers. :D .

Found this on the net too.

BRAKE FLUID TESTING

Recent tests carried out by Comma Oil on nearly 700 cars across the UK have shown that half of all vehicles have contaminated brake fluid, and one in three drivers are unintentionally risking their lives to substandard brake fluid that requires immediate replacement.

Over time brake fluid will absorb moisture from the atmosphere, reducing its effectiveness by lowering the boiling point. Modern day driving conditions add to this problem. Brake fluid is exposed to greater heat in stop-start conditions, during heavy braking or towing, all of which are becoming more common with the increasing traffic and speed on today’s roads.

Once contaminated brake fluid boils, vapour lock, characterised by sudden, unexpected brake failure, becomes a significant likelihood. These characteristics have led to commentators labelling the problem the ‘silent killer’, particularly as there is no warning, and once the brake fluid has cooled brake function apparently returns to normal.

In order to identify this problem the boiling point of brake fluid needs to be tested. Brake fluid with a boiling point of 200 degrees Celsius or less should be replaced, and anything under 180 degrees Celsius is potentially lethal and requires immediate action. The problem is not linked to age or mileage and so regular testing on all vehicles is vital. Shockingly, despite the theory contaminated brake fluid could be responsible for thousands of serious accidents every year, there are no regulations governing brake fluid testing.

Thanks for the reply - I have kept the Lexus service up including the brake fluid but I had 3 years included with the car so next year that might change!

I already got a price from the dealer for Aygo brake fluid flush and renew - £45. The service is £150 so that would be almost £200 for my little 'cheap' runaround to have it's annual treat - not sure :unsure:

...I'm only using Mr T to maintain the warranty...

Because it is a manufacturer warranty and NOT a dealers warranty, a new EU law means that you DON’T have to use Mr T to maintain warranty. All you need to do is keep evidence/invoice etc from any VAT registered service station to prove that the work was done.

If you look at the other thread about 30,000 mile service there are indications the service can be done for £100. So £150 should get the service and fluid change. I'd call another couple of dealers to get quotes, you can still go to your local one, but use cheaper quotes to get the price down.

I have shopped around with the few local dealers - the one I'm going with is the cheapest.

Things are generally a bit more expensive round here - I don't think my local dealers will match prices 'up north' but thanks for the pointer anyway.