Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Brake Lights Come On Even When Key Isn't In Ignition

Richard Davies

On stange thing I noticed about my 201 1.3 Yaris is that even with the key out of the ignition the brake lights come on when I press the pedal.

Is this normal? or has it been wired up wrongly at some time?

I only noticed this when I touched the brake whilst parked on a quite dark road.

I checked the reverse light & indicators & they don't come on unless I turn the key 2 clicks.

Quite normal, on both counts, Toyota's have always been wired like that

Kingo :thumbsup:

Normal.

It’s a safety feature. If you are in your car and you need to warn an on coming vehicle that is behind you, you can touch your brakes without having any ignition and the brakes lights light up.

I’ve used it several times on very dark roads when I have got in the car and haven’t started the engine, any cars that are coming up behind me then I touch the brakes :thumbsup:

Toyota cares about us! :D

Toyota are the dealer who cares... if anything goes wrong, they say "Who cares"? :lol:

Yeah, this is a quite common thing, the brake lights. Same as you can turn on sidelights (Parking lights) Many car makes can do it. Some can even sound their horns! B)

Thanks for filling me in, I was worried that the wiring was wrong somewere!

I know some cars cannot be started without the clutch pedal being pushed down.

This stops the car being started in gear, & hopefully will catch any would-be car thieves in in the know.

Thanks for filling me in, I was worried that the wiring was wrong somewere!

I know some cars cannot be started without the clutch pedal being pushed down.

This stops the car being started in gear, & hopefully will catch any would-be car thieves in in the know.

Similar to auto's. They can't be started in gear as they have an isolater switch. Also, The Yaris has to have the footbrake applied before you can take the gear selector out of neutral. B)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links