Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

05 Xt5 D4d Clonk From Front Suspension When Turning

wack

I'm getting a clonk( official technical description only understood by mechanics) from the front end of the car when turning right whilst driving over a 1" kerb which leads into my road, it doesn't do it whilst driving in a straight line.

Could it be an anti roll bar bush or a ball joint, what should I be looking at to see if anythings worn, it has done 95,000 miles

I'm getting a clonk( official technical description only understood by mechanics) from the front end of the car when turning right whilst driving over a 1" kerb which leads into my road, it doesn't do it whilst driving in a straight line.

Could it be an anti roll bar bush or a ball joint, what should I be looking at to see if anythings worn, it has done 95,000 miles

YES.

At that mileage, it could be any 1 of a number of joints or bushes. Or a CV. Also check that any passengers aren't winding you up by saying "clonk" when you turn right.

If you can't be bothered rolling around in the mud underneath the car, a cheap way could be to stick it in for an MOT, to find whats wrong. Failing that the other obvious choice is to buy 3 bags of cold tarmacadam and sort out the 1" bump.

Good luck.

YES.

At that mileage, it could be any 1 of a number of joints or bushes. Or a CV. Also check that any passengers aren't winding you up by saying "clonk" when you turn right.

If you can't be bothered rolling around in the mud underneath the car, a cheap way could be to stick it in for an MOT, to find whats wrong. Failing that the other obvious choice is to buy 3 bags of cold tarmacadam and sort out the 1" bump.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, i'll have to wait until it stops raining to have a look at the muddy side, can't do much about the 1" kerb as it's part of the road, could move house I suppose :rolleyes:

Bet you its the offside steering knuckle..... £5 OK?

Nae excuses aboot the 1" gap - jist get it sorted or wur men'll be roon. Wha's yer toon cooncil? An which road is it so I can put in a compensation claim??

If you think 1" is bad wait til you try to get past Hadrians wall when me and the gang have finished. That'll make your suspension knock a bit!

offside steering knuckle, thanks i'll get it checked out, i've noticed it happens more when I turn left so all the weight is on the RH side of the car so that does sound like it could be right, is £5 the toyota price, I assumed a number plate bulb would be £5 from toyota :rolleyes:

Found out what it was, the front O/S wheel bearing was that badly worn you could rock the wheel about 2cm :o managed to get a wheel bearing for £60, bit of a struggle on a saturday morning, mechanic fixed it so we're all OK again. it was that bad he wouldn't let me leave with it if we couldn't find a wheel bearing, the belts were a bit noisy as well so I got them replaced, not a 5 minute job like it used to be either

Found out what it was, the front O/S wheel bearing was that badly worn you could rock the wheel about 2cm :o managed to get a wheel bearing for £60, bit of a struggle on a saturday morning, mechanic fixed it so we're all OK again. it was that bad he wouldn't let me leave with it if we couldn't find a wheel bearing, the belts were a bit noisy as well so I got them replaced, not a 5 minute job like it used to be either

Glad your sorted Wack :thumbsup:

Your Mechanic sounds like a good man, do you mind if I ask, please who he was?

Bet you its the offside steering knuckle..... £5 OK?

Nae excuses aboot the 1" gap - jist get it sorted or wur men'll be roon. Wha's yer toon cooncil? An which road is it so I can put in a compensation claim??

Damn. I owe you S£5. Next time you're up in Glasgow, let me know as Scottish £2.50 notes are not legal tender in Warrington.

Unfortunately he's not in Warrington, he's in Blackburn,

Damn. I owe you S£5. Next time you're up in Glasgow, let me know as Scottish £2.50 notes are not legal tender in Warrington.

I'll be sure to do that, it'll be nice to see a scotsman giving away money :D

Look what he's offering you Wack, its that funny Scottish stuff with pictures of thistles and kilts n stuff. Try and negotiate something else but if he offers you moonshine say no (unless you plan to use it as fuel).

Look what he's offering you Wack, its that funny Scottish stuff with pictures of thistles and kilts n stuff. Try and negotiate something else but if he offers you moonshine say no (unless you plan to use it as fuel).

As if!! If ah have tae pit up wi picters o Windsor castil an roses (sorry Mr Modulator - ahm no advertising) an sighned by some guy who allowed Northern Rock tae borrow beyond their means tae gie me a mortgage .... well ah mean!!! Whit value the English penny??? Anither week an the price o the new RAV 'll be up tae £40k and puir Dave.M willnae be able tae save up....

Don't knock the English penny, according to Billy Connelly it was you and dave who invented copper wire by falling out over one.

Is this forum something to do with cars?

As regarding my RAVs pitching motion, its been solved with replacing a few bushes and tightening up the springs by using some cushions to support the rear ones. Must be OK cos it passed its MOT the day in Motherwell. Nae clunks either - sorted!

Unfortunately he's not in Warrington, he's in Blackburn,

No worries, thanks :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links