Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noisy Alternator?

chris m

Hi all,

I have a 1995/96 corolla (1.3 Auto) and I think my alternator is making a whining noise, could well be the bearings, has anyone ever changed these?

The Haynes manual gives a strip down of the alternator and how to test the electrical components, but not how to get the bearings out. The cost of a new alternator is somewhere between £150-200 :o and not really necessary.

Many thanks

Chris

to narow it down to the alternator, start the eninge, and then put the rear demistrer on and the fans on full. see if the noise gets loader or not, cos they put alot of strain on ur alternator.

to narow it down to the alternator, start the eninge, and then put the rear demistrer on and the fans on full. see if the noise gets loader or not, cos they put alot of strain on ur alternator.

hay you could always do what I do and try squirting water on the tensioner pullies as they are most common sorce of noise .This will quiet them down long enough to gauge whether it is the altenator or not?????? if it is the alt its a snap to tear down and fix but dont be tempted by the tool called the hammer as it will only break the magnets inside this little piece of machinery :censor: :censor: been there done that BUGGER

if it is the alt its a snap to tear down and fix but dont be tempted by the tool called the hammer as it will only break the magnets inside this little piece of machinery :censor:  :censor: been there done that BUGGER

WTF

alternators dont have magnets

if it is the alternator the noise should change depending on the rev. but if its just a whistle that gets louder as the revs increase put up with it or go and buy the new one coz the bearings are a :censor: to change and usually by the time the bearings go the whole thing is stuffed any way.

(the whistle is the main rotor in the alternator changing shape and getting closer to the armature)

I'm going with the brushes are getting low. When they run out the steal thing that holds them starts to rub on the armiture(sp). Causing a whinning sound. There what live in the plastic cap like thing you saw in the book. Supper cheap to buy, and it don't look to tuff to pull the alt. You might just try changing them, before you drop good money for a new alt.

It may also be the bearings, so the money to buy the brushes would be a waist. But they only cost a few cents last time I bought some for the old VW bug.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links