Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Road Noise And Bumper Repairs

topgazza

Its been a while since I posted but I still enjoy reading this forum...some very good stuff on here.

Wife still has her black 1.3 VVTi colour Collection...bought from new in July 2005 (MK1 update ?). I drive a year old VW Passat TDI Estate but still get a great buzz when I drive the Yaris and that digital speedo is just a terrific idea.

Couple of things. I posted a while ago that the road noise in the Yaris seems excessive. Particularly in the wet from the back area and what seems to be the wheel arches. The rush of water sounds like its in the car when going through puddles and is quite a shock. I know the Passat is very very quiet so a comparison would be ridiculous but even taking that into account it seems the Yaris has some serious sound deading issues. Anyone have a similar view or has anyone carried out any extra "brown bread" type improvements ?

Is there a brake pad warning light on the Yaris or do I have to trust a local KwikFit or similar to advise ?

I also noticed some small marks on the lip of the rear bumper as though someone has dragged some thing serrated for a few inches across it. I've read a very good guide to repairing such thing on this site. Halfords don't do the black the Yaris is in (Eclipse) so I would buy the paint and laquer from a dealer. I'm competent at doing most body repairs but have never done a bumper before so I will see.

TBH the yaris isnt the most sound proof car and does make alot of noises

There is no brake pad warning light!

As far as painting goes i have no idea but i am sure some one will be around soon to help!

Adam

TBH the yaris isnt the most sound proof car and does make alot of noises

There is no brake pad warning light!

As far as painting goes i have no idea but i am sure some one will be around soon to help!

Adam

Thanks for replying..

Its the only thing that "spoils" the car for me...although TBH it doesn't bother me that much but the wife gets really annoyed. All the carpets have some soundproofing as an underlay but I suspect the wheel arches at the back, the boot floor could possibly do with some more and the front arches as well. The only suitable stuff for the arches..external...is a sort of think heavy bitumen paste. Effective but messy and fairly expensive. Ripping the interior completely out and putting fresh brown bread everywhere is an option but I'm not sure the cost/effort would be that worth it as you're looking at £200 + for the custom soundproofing kit

Shame about the brake pad warning but as a VW driver I get lazy when it comes to warning lights...Yaris has done 22k in 2.5 years and the last service said the brakes were fine...not by how much however. For safety I think a trip to one of the tyre/brake shops to get them checked for free is in order.

Found this for the painting which seems pretty comprehensive http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=72868

TBH with the brakes you should be able to feel when they need changing.

With my car i put roof flashing everywhere in boot area i could to sort out noise, seemed to work pretty well, you could try that!

TBH with the brakes you should be able to feel when they need changing.

With my car i put roof flashing everywhere in boot area i could to sort out noise, seemed to work pretty well, you could try that!

Just popped up the road in the Yaris and the brakes are sharp as can be so I know what you mean about when they start to get a bit rough and I will be able to feel it. Looking at the front pads with a torch they look as though they have plenty of pad left.

I am tempted to have a blitz at the boot as you describe. When you say roof flashing...do you mean the bitumen stuff ? I assume you don't mean lead..or do you ? ;)

Its like sticky black tape, bit like dynamat but alot cheaper, works wonders with the door speakers!

not lead lol!

glad you sorted brakes

Ah I see..I think I know the stuff...any recommended sources ?

Its like sticky black tape, bit like dynamat but alot cheaper, works wonders with the door speakers!

not lead lol!

glad you sorted brakes

I think it is called Evode Flash Band(ing)......................should be available from builders merchants or DIY stores :thumbsup:

not lead lol!

glad you sorted brakes

I think it is called Evode Flash Band(ing)......................should be available from builders merchants or DIY stores :thumbsup:

Cheers Mr kid...I'll track that down easy....

Got mine from B&Q was £7! Need to use it all in one go really as its looses it stick otherwise!

There's two kinds of sound damping of course...soundproofing and sound deadening. Deadening is this stuff I guess as it sticks to the bodywork and absorbs any vibrations or sounds by weight whereas a good foam material acts like double glazing but is not so good at the vibration issue. I wish Toyota had spent another few bob and beefed it up from new. I know you need some sort of road noise/engine noise feedback...the 1.3 VVTi is quiet enough already mind you, sometimes I can't hear it and stall. Its just a little more for the underside would have been handy. Lots of small cars suffer from this and I guess its more to do with cost than weight

yeah they try and make it on cheap but i would probably rather do it myself than pay toyota an extra £500 to do if from new!

yeah they try and make it on cheap but i would probably rather do it myself than pay toyota an extra £500 to do if from new!

I agree. If I was paying £20k plus for a car I might have a different view but at least on the small one you have the choice to do something if it bothers you...off to B&Q.....cheers again !

Rightey ho - soundproofing

newbie on forum but I've spent last 2 years research and improving my yaris with various soundproofing upgrades.

I've used

dynamat,

dynamat extreme

sound deadening mats,

sound absorbtion mats

fat car dead mat - similar to dynamat

The best parts to sound proof is the rear archers and also the spare wheel area. The spare wheel area is particularll thin - so a layer os sound deadiening mat will sure help boost less noise and also if you put sound proofing in each of hte wheel arches then it should help reduce rain noise.

The gushing whoosing rain noise your talking about - I believe are the side door sills. These places are not accessible and basically is hollow inside therefore when rain hit them they give you that noise. It is also apparent when in car washes.

The VW passat is different as the lower door sill have a layer of black pastic which reduce noise as plastic is better at absorbing noise that metal.

This is also aapparent on many Audis. Many luxury cars have this as well. Also on a VW, the door seals are much thicker than that used in toyotas especialy the Yaris.

The yaris if 3 door has a external door seal and also a single bulb weatherstripping seal. On the 5 door , the fronts are the same except in the back doors, there is no bulb seal other than the external door seal.

Compared to VW, the door seals on a VW are typical double bulb seals i.e. has a foam rim on the outside which is made of one foam with a cross sectional arae of two internal cavities. i.e. imagine the shape of a pair of glasses i.e two cricles stuck together. The yaris is more like a 'o' shape interanl cavity seal.

Anyway - a good way of reducing wheel arch noise as previously said to to either apply sound deadening material i.e dynamt, brown bread, fat cat dead mat or sound absorption material i.e. acoustic mats make of sponge foam with irregular cavity shapes. The deadening material is much heavier and will reduce car's performance. Or alternatively use the B& Q method - I wish I found it out sooner as it would have been a lot cheaper! Not sure what result may be but reading on forum seems like it's a good one!

Sorry for long post - it's just I like soundproofing!

Definally, maybe take some pics if you do it as alot of people have asked about it over the years!

Pretty much my thoughts as well zeemax. Good info. I wondered about the sills on the Yaris.

I will take some snaps when I've done it and post them here...I notice its now called Evo Stik Flashband...B&Q don't seem to do it but I'll check and plenty of builders merchants do stock it. You can get it from Amazon as well which is weird but also cool at the same time...

hi again,

In regards to braking pad issue - I've recently had mine replaces at my 30,000mile service and thats 2 years - but it will depend on usage - if you drive a lot of motorway mileage like I do then it shouldn;t wear out so quickly however if you and your wife use it for city/town more then the brakes will wear out faster which I;m sure you already knew anyway.

The only way to find out if brakes are wearing out and needs replacing soon is to check the brake disc itself - if there are grooves or lines on it then your looking at replacing brakes pads soon and possibly a reskiming of the disc to avoid repalce the disc cost.

When you do have your brakes replace, make sure theres no clicking, or weirs nosies, as when I had mine replace it made noise that seems like the brake pads weren;t fited on properly, but appranetly my local toyota garage sed it was jus tthe brake pads wearing in, mine's taken over 200 miles to wear in.

hi again,

In regards to braking pad issue - I've recently had mine replaces at my 30,000mile service and thats 2 years - but it will depend on usage - if you drive a lot of motorway mileage like I do then it shouldn;t wear out so quickly however if you and your wife use it for city/town more then the brakes will wear out faster which I;m sure you already knew anyway.

The only way to find out if brakes are wearing out and needs replacing soon is to check the brake disc itself - if there are grooves or lines on it then your looking at replacing brakes pads soon and possibly a reskiming of the disc to avoid repalce the disc cost.

When you do have your brakes replace, make sure theres no clicking, or weirs nosies, as when I had mine replace it made noise that seems like the brake pads weren;t fited on properly, but appranetly my local toyota garage sed it was jus tthe brake pads wearing in, mine's taken over 200 miles to wear in.

The users manual is funny. It says "the brake pad warning system is when you hear a screeching noise"....and not to leave it too long before getting the pads changed. I would have just said "when the car refuses to stop and ploughs into those nuns at the bus stop is probably a good sign that you need new pads"...but then that's just me.

Car is mainly used for "b" road drives to school....16 mile round trips x 2 a day so gets fairly light use...not as light as motorway but not as heavy as a town

hi again,

The users manual is funny. It says "the brake pad warning system is when you hear a screeching noise"....and not to leave it too long before getting the pads changed. I would have just said "when the car refuses to stop and ploughs into those nuns at the bus stop is probably a good sign that you need new pads"...but then that's just me.

Car is mainly used for "b" road drives to school....16 mile round trips x 2 a day so gets fairly light use...not as light as motorway but not as heavy as a town

Hi topgazza,

Lol - like your comment about when you know car brakes fails, but yeah the instruction manual is prety useless. The screeching noise is probably squeaking noise instead. Obviously you would know if your brakes are wearing out or need of replacement if your stopping distances suddenly increases i.e. need earlier braking.

All the best with soundproofing!

when you hit the pad wear markers you get the screeching noise.

you can buy cheaper versions of dynamat like one called e-dead that is pretty good.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links