Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

A Reminder Of Buying Used Mr2's

Vlad_E

Id post the link from TB dev, but you have to be a registered member, but I guess the following thread details it from point of sale onwards, so its even more thorough

Dodgy mr2 sale

discusting behaviour TBH, selling a car that is known to have a major fault.

But not test driving and dealing at a service station is asking for trouble :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yet another thread about this....

Talk about famous for 5 minutes... no one knows the full story of this situation bar those directly involved, and I bet those have differing ideas about it too...

There have been loads of threads about buying dodgy cars, or what to look out for, yet those dont get plastered across the forums, what was the real point of this except to stir up more trouble?

I personally hope this all gets sorted out between the two original people... to the benefit of both.

But you are right, in general sellers should be 100% honest (to the best of their knowledge) and buyers should try things out and look around a car properly when buying.

What a B******!!! he did it to Earl as well, the guy with the VERY fast Red Beast MR2!!! (does he still have the Red beast or did he sell it ??)

but personally if it was me I would have asked to test drive the car first.

woah calm down, taking it a bit personal arnt you, I cant see why???

:S

the guy KNEW about the engine problems, as he even took it to peter G, swapped the car as fast as he could, and wont answer any calls or communicate, but get his mummy to :lol:

I hope it gets sorted too and earl gets what he deserves, a 100% working car in good condition, like the ITR he swapped

so i cant see how this topic was to stir up trouble, this is an MR2 forum, im posting about an MR2, an interesting transaction at that, no trouble intended

What a B******!!! he did it to Earl as well, the guy with the VERY fast Red Beast MR2!!! (does he still have the Red beast or did he sell it ??)

aye

earl sold the red beast, which an affiliate on IMOC broke for parts!!! :rolleyes:

He then bought the ITR, and swapped it for ****

I guess it does feel a little personal when this person happens to be a friend of mine, whom I would like to think wouldnt rip off someone.

Yet everyone seems to be slagging him off, calling names, mentioning violence when to be honest they are basing the whole thing off what someone said.

I dont know the situ... and if what happened to this guy was done through malice and intention to deceive then fine... he should pay for it... but I know this car, and I know that the phrase "swapped the car as fast as he could" doesnt begin to cover it.. PeteG had that car for months, infact the better part of the year, this was no 'quick fix' and it was returned to Pete when it was found not to be working properly... again.

Only when it had been returned in 'apparent' good working order was it then sold...

But then again I would try and stick up for my friends... its the way I am.

ah well lets hope he gets in contact quick, and opens his own mouth instead of mummys, and sorts the mess out that hes created by being deceitful

which an affiliate on IMOC broke for parts!!! :rolleyes:

Now thats annoying, he spent a VERY long time Building and tuning that car and someone went and stripped it for parts!!! He sold it for about 1/4 of what it cost to build as well didnt he (well he wanted £11,000 for it after spending around £30,000 - £40,000?

I know Ben, not very well mind you.....but he squeezed prawn juice in my face (by accident) at JJ's Birthday do.....But I am not sure of the facts regarding this dilema .

But I wish Ben would either defend himself and say he thought the car was 100% ok or own up!!!

which an affiliate on IMOC broke for parts!!! :rolleyes:

Now thats annoying, he spent a VERY long time Building and tuning that car and someone went and stripped it for parts!!! He sold it for about 1/4 of what it cost to build as well didnt he?

yep very annoying for earl, there was a topic on IMOC where he was showing frustration, but it got deleted

Ben sounds like a kid, that has a kid. Oh dear :S

I must say though. Earl really should have tested the car. I wouldnt have taken no for an answer.

Hope it gets sorted out. If Ben carries on with the way he does. I hope he gets raped in court :D

(never knew about earls motor being sold for parts, thats digusting as it was a beast)

I guess it does feel a little personal when this person happens to be a friend of mine, whom I would like to think wouldnt rip off someone.

Yet everyone seems to be slagging him off, calling names, mentioning violence when to be honest they are basing the whole thing off what someone said.

I dont know the situ... and if what happened to this guy was done through malice and intention to deceive then fine... he should pay for it... but I know this car, and I know that the phrase "swapped the car as fast as he could" doesnt begin to cover it.. PeteG had that car for months, infact the better part of the year, this was no 'quick fix' and it was returned to Pete when it was found not to be working properly... again.

Only when it had been returned in 'apparent' good working order was it then sold...

But then again I would try and stick up for my friends... its the way I am.

JJ,

You're obviously a valued and trusted member on here, so I would ask you this?

If Ben IS a friend of yours, and you care for him as much as you say, please contact him and tell him to get in contact with me. Or at the very least, get him to tell YOU the truth. At least that way you'll be fully informed.

I consider myself to be a trusting person, who tries to see the best in people, but in this case, I was duped and taken advantage of. If you can't see that then you are either blinkered or not able to read. The facts are there for EVERYONE to see, and furthermore, ANYONE is welcome to come and check the car out for themselves.

Ben, and indeed, Ben's mother Gina have collaborated in this, and have purposely decieved me in order to get rid of a car that was known to themselves to have engine troubles. How would you feel if it was you had exchanged you car for it?

I really do admire anyone that "sticks up for their friends", It's an amicable quality, but when your friends are taking advantage of your good nature, should you really call them friends?

EarL.

Ben IS a friend of JJ's and she has tried to get in contact with Ben but to no avail..................

but anyway

I bought a car off a guy on MR2 OC (I didnt know him from adam) for £950 I myself took it out for a test drive and then a mate took it out for a test drive with me in it....and we set that car through its paces.......trying to find anything that could go wrong with it...listening out for any "strange" sounds or knocking noises, which most people do when buying a second hand car

Am I right in assuming you know about cars and engines? well anyway My car cost 950 quid and went though rigorous test drives........ you swap a car (and I know how much Ben was selling it for) without a test drive from a guy you dont know.

More fool you.! :rolleyes:

Ben IS a friend of JJ's and she has tried to get in contact with Ben but to no avail..................

but anyway

I bought a car off a guy on MR2 OC (I didnt know him from adam) for £950 I myself took it out for a test drive and then a mate took it out for a test drive with me in it....and we set that car through its paces.......trying to find anything that could go wrong with it...listening out for any "strange" sounds or knocking noises, which most people do when buying a second hand car

Am I right in assuming you know about cars and engines? well anyway My car cost 950 quid and went though rigorous test drives........ you swap a car (and I know how much Ben was selling it for) without a test drive??

More fool you.! :rolleyes:

I tend to agree with the sentiments expressed above.

I feel that without taking a test drive prior to swapping cars you really have given away any chance of obtaining any comeback on the deal.

For someone who states that they have a knowledge of cars and engines, whyever did you not give the car a thorough test and inspection prior to swapping?

You only have yourself to blame for getting other peoples troubles.

Legal action would not necessarily result in the answer that you are looking for as the swap was "private" transaction and to my knowledge, Ben is not a motor trader.

Unfortunately for you, "Caveat Emptor" really does apply in this case :(

theres a big difference between legal and ethical. What Ben may have done may have been legal but if its as Earl has said then it certainly wasn't ethical.

Which makes Earl unfortunate and ben a complete !Removed!!

theres a big difference between legal and ethical. What Ben may have done may have been legal but if its as Earl has said then it certainly wasn't ethical.

Which makes Earl unfortunate and ben a complete !Removed!!

My sentiments exactly.

JJ - If he doesn’t have anything to hide then why is not willing to speak to Earl and in fact avoiding his numerous attempts to try and contact him?

Did Ben sell his car or did his mother?

If he genuinely didn’t know there was an existing issue with the car then his actions so far do not seem to match the story you appear to have at the moment.

I have bought and sold loads of cars now over the last few years as you know and to think that someone could purposely sell a car which they know has issues is just not on.

Im sure that if you or i was in Bens shoes and genuinely didn’t know about the engine issues prior to the sale would feel terrible once having just handed the car over to find out it was fcuked. Would you then choose to ignore the buyer and get your mum to talk to him instead?

Earl is right... My dear i believe you may be blinkered in this case which is a shame. :(

I echo what the others have said though in hoping that both parties can get this sorted asap. This would mean that Ben would actually have to return a call to Earl which would be the least he could do under the circumstances.

For those who say that Earl should have test driven the car... yes your right and Earl is the first one to admit that but it doesnt make what Ben has done any less an ethical crime...

Many thanks Fizz,

Here is an except of a post in a thread that Ben started on the MR2OC. The link to the thread is also below if you wish to read the whole thing.

kenny its having a rebuild because the last guy that built it was a complete muppet and its never been right....yeah its powerful but i could never trust it with high oil comsumpsion, and about 2 months ago something broke. not sure what but there's a loud knocking sound which feels like its somewhere in the top end.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtopic...5/start=15.html

As an update, I have recieved an email from Ben's mother informing me that Ben is out of the country and as such is unable to comment at present.

...I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting for a reply.

EarL.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links