Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutch Problem.

CROFTY

opinions needed THANKS.about a month ago my surf 3.0ltr manual ssrx,started to put out a ticking noise.this was only very slight,and went as i touched the clutch.Last night i turned her over and the noise was well above the engine noise.the only time it stops now is when the clutch is fully depressed.then as soon as im rolling inbetween and at the top of the box it is just there.my mate who i was stood by at the time said it was tyhe thrust bearing?.if anyone could shed a little light on this for me i.e cost,parts,labour.or another reason for this.i would be very greatfull.cheers once again.CROFTY.

If your lucky it will be the release brg,but if the noise is more than engine noise it could be a more serious matter of the dual mass flywheel internals breaking up.

I experienced this in my brothers Hilux 2.8 after about 160000 miles on a vehicle which had been worked hard with a lot of heavy towing. Good luck with the diagnosis and keep us informed.

If your lucky it will be the release brg,but if the noise is more than engine noise it could be a more serious matter of the dual mass flywheel internals breaking up.

I experienced this in my brothers Hilux 2.8 after about 160000 miles on a vehicle which had been worked hard with a lot of heavy towing. Good luck with the diagnosis and keep us informed.

cheers. HARVEY for the reply,this motor was owned by a bird who ownes a boozer just round the corner.she only done the cash and carry run in it aswell as her general bits and bobs,she had it from when it was brought into the country.so i don't think it's been worked that hard.it's done177,000km.cheers once again for your reply,i'll keep you up to date as and when i get it sorted.CROFTY. :thumbsup:

Been told it's probably a problem with the dual mass flywheel as fitted to the imports,the guys at rough trax gave me this info.i don't know if it was a sales pitch or what.(any thoughts on this peeps).I hav'nt got much choice,you do get the complete clutch in the kit.so once its done i suppose its done.CROFTY. B)

Been told it's probably a problem with the dual mass flywheel as fitted to the imports,the guys at rough trax gave me this info.i don't know if it was a sales pitch or what.(any thoughts on this peeps).I hav'nt got much choice,you do get the complete clutch in the kit.so once its done i suppose its done.CROFTY. B)

I'm affraid they're correct. It's a common failure on high milage manual Surfs.

You can replace the DMF or the cheaper option is to buy a complete kit from roughtrax and replace the whole clutch assembly with a conventional set-up.

p.s. Barry at roughtrax is a genuine guy and won't feed you B/S!

Crofty

We went for a conventional solid flywheel as the fix for the brothers hi-lux,that was over 40k ago and its been fine with no obvious difference in the way it drives,vibration and so on, also its a lot cheaper option!

Crofty

We went for a conventional solid flywheel as the fix for the brothers hi-lux,that was over 40k ago and its been fine with no obvious difference in the way it drives,vibration and so on, also its a lot cheaper option!

Once again cheers for the replys..I was driving home from work earlier today.it dawned on me there was no noise coming from the motor at all,do you think it could have been a lesser problem or just a lose bit or somethin'.I'm stumped now,I told the guys at rough trax to put the kit on hold so i can get another opinion.iI don't want to throw 4 hundred quid down and it's only a loose bolt or the like.the clutch itself is fine now no drag or anything,Any sugestions?.I'm ;) ....cheers folks,CROFTY.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links