Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris Steering - Does Yours Return To Centre Properly?

MyEvilTwin

:eek: Wierder & wierder. My better-halfs '03 Yaris 1.0 VVTI has the same questionable steering and the garage it came from in Notts. are following the same course as you experienced, doing the tracking to no avail, then concluding "it's a Yaris of that age thing, it's safe to drive". (Is this a Toyota directive?) We're not buying this either so they say they'll find another of the same age to compare it with. That's no answer. I drive it infrequently but it wasn't there when she bought it and it was after the last (intermediate) service though how that might have effected it I'm not sure. All the posts regarding this interesting & useful. We will be pursuing the matter and will report back...

• 9 months later...

hi my evil twin

i would be very interested in the solution you come up with as my yaris has the same problem as your daughters and i have taken mine back to where i bought mine and the tell me they have done extensive resurch and come up with nothing

also i have taken it to a yaris dealer (lookers) in rayleigh essex but they have not seen this in any other yaris that has come through their doors

markaarnold

It is quite a well known trait of electric power steering systems. There are two ways of making these centre correctly, the expensive way (which is virtually guaranteed to work 100% of the the time) involves multiple sensors, the cheap way involves a single centring sensor. The single sensor system is prone to going out of adjustment.

What you have come up against is that (a) Toyota use the cheap system (not that surprising, it's a cheap car) and (B) a lot of dealers don't know how to maintain and adjust it. Blaming it on tracking is a common excuse and one that can be checked in an instant - if tyres are wearing evenly then it isn't tracking.

Very interesting topic.

First of all i can't beleive Toyota are being so bad on this one. Why don't they do the decent thing and own up to a possibility that there could be a fault with the electric power steering?

Seems it only affects certain cars, so that's probably why it isn't classed as a "Recall". :angry:

If they are saying that the car is still perfectly driveable with this fault then it's unlikely they will have to do anything about it.

Glad mine has hydraulic steering now! :o

Good luck to everyone on this one!! ;)

Because that would cost money and would make people realise that Toyotas are nowhere near as good as the urban myth suggests.

Because of the risk that the incompetent dealer network would make things worse.

Hi, i havn't read all the reply's for your steering prob, but you can

get what is called steering lock ! this is normally the bearings in the

top of the suspension strut mounting plate, they can dry up and

the ball bearings become flat and start to stick ! the power steering

pump will overcome this when you turn the wheel, but the wheel will

not return to centre on its own, hence the term ( Steering lock )

If this is the problem then the remedy is new bearings m8.

Hope this helps

Kcs

• 1 year later...

Thanks for that Chris, and yep, it's further reassurance.

For anyone who followed this thread way back, I've realised I never reported what's gone on, so;

Nice legal letter to the dealer pretty much telling them we wanted it fixed, at a Toyota service centre only, at their expense in full or it was a Small Claims Court case.

One of the Directors wrote back stating that we could get it done at their expense.

It went to Toyota, the extra helpful and on-the-ball guys in Ayr as before, and they first of all put everything right as it should have been after Wyper's butchers the new rack incompletely fitted (no clamps on the gaiters, rack not centre zeroed). Toyota had already told me that was a 120GBP job, so that was all done. They of course needed that to be fixed up to make sure the bad rack fitting wasn't causing any problems.

Then their foreman called up Robert Wyper's service manager and told him the only remaining thing to try was to replace the steering column. The steering column unit includes the electric power assist unit, so isn't cheap. About £800 for the job completed in fact. So the service manager soiled himself and said he wanted to source the part and do the work instead.

I spoke to this guy and explained this wasn't what we had, in writing, from that director, but he wasn't for budging.

Anyway, enough life wasted on this nonsense, GF and I concluded that we'd allow them to do it, on the condition that the work was then inspected by Toyota, at their expense. This wasn't outright agreed, but he'd call us back in a day or two once the (part time old guy) Director was next in to be asked about it. That call's never come. That was the last position when last we spoke to any of them at that lameass dealer. This was a couple of months ago now. We've been very busy and haven't got round to executing action yet, but we will.

On the technical side, I noticed right away that the steering was firmer after Toyota set it up. More drivable. The strange response and not returning problem still very much continues though.

An interesting point came up in the pub, as such things often do. Is it likely that many companies manufacture non-genuine Yaris steering column assemblies? My good friend Google only finds mention of them from car breakers. Come to think of it, the Dealer's Service Monkey DID mutter something about "hmm, they might be a serialed part though..." on the phone. I wonder if that's what was going through his mind at that point.

Obviously we're not having a steering component off a wreck!

Anyway, we'll shortly compile the case notes and get these rats off to court. Worse and more expensive for them in the end of course. Silly.

On a plus note, I just found out yesterday that if you unlock the car and don't open a door within about 30 seconds it locks them again. Neat! :-)

Did you get this sorted?

I just bought a 1 liter 2004 model (only 5000 miles on the clock) so as good as new with the same problem. Toyota sayd they have not had any recalls on this model and not aware of the problem. I have had the camber and toe in checked and all fine and think it must be excessive friction either in the steering column or the rack assembly.

• 3 years later...

Newbie on here, but have just got an '03 yaris 1.3 T3 and have exactly the same weird steering issue. this is my "work" car and often drive our other two cars, so i know its not right. as the original poster comments, you can turn the steering wheel to as much as 90 degrees (3 o or 9 oclock) positions and it still wont centre. there is a degree of self centreing if you go around a roundabout but in general town driving im constantly self correcting and its really annoying...

Ive checked the pressures and tyres, theres no steering "pull" so no real reason to suspect tracking.

Did we ever get to the bottom of this, its obviously not a one off ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to try to keep this current...

ive been to two tyre garages (kwik fit and ATS Euromaster) and they have both confirmed the tracking is spot on, so this isnt the problem, its now booked in with a toyota main dealer on wednesday to get this sorted out. I have no confidence at all if im honest, but ill see how it goes and report back

• 4 years later...

I have this steering  problem too. Anyone get a definitive solution?

I eventually had this diagnosed as being a worn steering motor ! My Toyota garage wanted about £1200 to fix, which is way more than the car is worth, So I’ve just lived with it, and still have the car ! 

I am thinking it needs calibrated, something called zero calibration or I wonder is it possible to swap the eps unit with another used one that works or does ecus have to also be swapped?

My fault is, as mentioned the worn motor, so I could swap it for a good motor, nothing to do with ecu’s etc. I’ve just lived with it, still have the car 🚙 

• 1 month later...

Sorry if I’m bumping an old thread here, but I’ve been looking this up now over two days it’s really been bothering me. I have had a Yaris for about a year now, I’m learning to drive (unfortunately not had a chance to do a test yet because of health issues and operations so resumed lessons with my brother seriously, recently), I know the steering isn’t correct just as you describe! I’ve been thinking it for sometime but observing other cars I’m now convinced. 

I was driving on a local large main road the other day, turned round the corner off the roundabout to join said road and the wheel it didn’t go back to central, I wasn’t going fast and I just stared at it like, I’m straight but the wheels isn’t. I need good steering as I have a bone condition (hence the operations) and cancer so I’m pretty weak & have titanium in my chest I keep breaking (seriously!) as well as the operations have damaged my left shoulder permanently so it’s painful sometimes to drive at all! I also find the car at a bit of speed built up doesn’t feel safe yet at that speed or more in another car I feel fine, it feels like it’s going to swerve off or something odd! Thereis a specific roundabout near me which once you enter there are lights, they get my every time, upon setting off from the lights I like to get off the roundabout and around the bendy corner before I change to 2ns gear, I know that’s not good but I feel like it’s just going to stray straight into the subway situationed forward/ left if I take a hand off the wheel!  

Now my brother has had a licence over 20 years and thinks I’m making up excuses, he drives vans for a living, drives a Porsche personally and my car often, he must’ve driven hundreds of different vehicles in his time so he doesn’t believe me! I still think it’s not the best way to teach somebody to drive in a car that doesn’t feel right- I didn’t even get to pick it! I’m also expected to take my test in the car and this is very offputting too!

Hence the health and now having to run a car too I don’t have a lot of money and had to quit my job and close my business and just scrape by. I just don’t know what to do! Also, I’ve been led to believe that this car has a recall on it but it won’t say why, but if you check on the DVLA website where you can check MOT history, it says it has,  lbut oddly enough every time you login it states the recall is dated the date you actually check, which I find very peculiar and again worrying because if it shows a recall I won’t be allowed to take my test in it! Toyota says no recall though! I’m so nervous and end up really sick before each lesson but I’m being pressured! Any advice?! Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi to all! This is my first post on this forum.

Im from Croatia so excuse for my minor language mistakes.

On topic, I got 03 Yaris 1.0 for 8 months now, and I really love it, but really...it's a great car. Mint condition, but its got same problem with steering. It does not centre on his own, and it's sometimes I would say sticky. Small increments and adjustments while driving feel sticky. AND sometimes I get SQUEAK sound when turning the wheel. I would say this is the problem with steering column, motor, or bearings. But I do not think its repairable (because its sealed). More probably you need to buy a complete steering column which is  too much expensive. Maybe buying second hand is option, but you never know what you got. Anyway, im gonna live with it, because rest of the car is in pristine condition.

Sticky is a very good description, I had this diagnosed ages ago by Toyota and they said it was a worn steering motor. I think you can just change the motor and I’m going to do this in a few weeks, yes the motor is 2nd hand but I’ll take my chance.

• Like 1

I hope the motor is the cure for our steering problem, so I wish you good luck with it. Please if you can, write here back after job is done so we can know the culprit. 

• 3 months later...

Please keep us up-to-date on outcome of steering motor this problem is driving me nuts ☹️

• 6 months later...
On 11/24/2007 at 9:08 PM, MyEvilTwin said:

My girlfriend's recently bought an '03 Yaris 1.0 T3 and it's got the wierdest steering anyone (who I trust) has ever felt in any car. The garage it came from have concluded with "it must just be a Yaris thing, it's safe to drive". We're not buying this and I want to ask a forum full of actual Yaris owners about it.

On a test drive I commented that the steering was very light. I've felt very light steering before, but I didn't twig that it was in fact not behaving normally on the limited short drive and didn't tag it as a Bad Thing.

The steering doesn't return to centre itself. You can leave the wheel at as much as a 90 degree turn in either direction and it won't come back on its own. Beyond that it will return, but VERY lightly, so that in the course of normal driving round town it needs to be purposefuly turned rather than it pushing its way back through your hands. When on a roundabout, the only time I've ever felt the kind of wheel feedback as this gives is when entering an understeer.

It makes for a car that I'd say is a bit tricky to drive confidently. It has to be watched. It feels a little skittish at high speed but not terribly, the real trouble is town driving where you have to undo the wheel actively from turns. A pro driver may say that you should do that anyway, but let's be honest, few people positively feed the wheel when leisurely driving in town. :-)

We had an unused RAC vehicle inspection credit, so we had it checked over. This was aftr buying it, because I didn't drive it for a little while after she bought it and being a New Driver, Jules knew no better. The RAC guy noted the steering issue and recommended it be fixed as a safety concern. Coincidentally, when he arrived to check it he said to me "ooh, a Yaris. I've done loads of these. We've got a contract with Toyota and I usually get them in this area."

I'd say that's enough to tell us that if this was "a Yaris thing" he'd be in an ideal position to say "It's quite common". He'd never seen anything like it before, and made a couple of suggestions as to the cause since the visible steering and suspension components were all in excellent condition. Steering rack, or possibly non-standard tyre size fitted were his best guesses.

So back to the garage it went, and I sh*t you not, they set the tracking and gave her it back. I was told to my face "it may just be a thing with smaller cars". Rubbish, driven loads of cars and I've never felt anything remotely like this.

Back in it went the next day, with the instruction not to return it til it was fixed.

At a loss to find any suspect component, they allegedly submitted it to the local Toyota dealership (although in our town that's a Arnold Clark with track record of shenanigans in the maintenance dept) who advised replacing the steering rack.

The dealer replaced it, no difference. All possible parts were taken out and checked and still no culprit could be found. They replaced the front struts. At my request when tyre size came up again, standard sizes were fitted to eliminate that, and still no difference.

Again allegedly the Toyota dealer was able to test a similar year and model Yaris and told the dealer that they did indeed observe the same steering looseness, thus both dealers concluded that "it's a Yaris thing". I have my doubts folks, because if it was, a Toyota dealer would have seen it before so why would they initially recommend a rack replacement? And both of them must have thought it was Wrong enough to merit fixing it in the first place.

Oh, also, I asked a pack of no less than four gathered salesmen at an independent Toyota dealership in a nearby town about this, and they all reckoned it was suspicious and they're never seen or heard of such a thing. I know the salesguys might not be mechanics, but out of four I'm fairly sure somebody would have recognised it if it were a common thing.

We've got it back now as Nothing More We Can Do. So I thought the best thing to do would be to poll people who have a Yaris of that type and see if anyone is able to give any weight to the dealers' reckoning that It's A Yaris Thing.

So can you help me out please?

If you've read this far, could you please post a reply whether you do or don't have steering that sounds like my description - it'll be just as helpful to hear from anyone who doesn't have this as anyone who does!

Cheers folks! :-)

I have exactly the same issue with our 2005 Yaris 1.2 VVTI. Very disconcerting. going for a service soon so will ask and update this post. 

Hi There, 

Somebody From the Netherlands here (*sorry if i write something wrong) , we bought a 1.3 S-line at a dutch toyota dealer, a really nice car relative Quick, good space etc...

But From the beginning we also have some sticky steering (electrical power steering) problems... They already checked the bearings a few times, and already changed a steering computer, and did a zero calibration, this solved 1 problem, ( i will upload a video later of that problem) But we still have the problem with the self centering, ( steer is coming back till about 2 or 10 a'clock or even 3 or 9 a'clock) and steering feel like its a stormy/windy weather especially on the highway. 

They also checked a few bearings with no result yet.. 😣

Also on some dutch forums no solution yet, in the netherlands they did a recall on the mark2 Yaris, but nog on the mark1, did anybody know or this are the same steering systems? 

https://youtu.be/njGzqiMxQps

https://youtu.be/5RkFWpZyEmo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ_XyziapC8

You will see the solved problem on

vid1
6 - 10 seconds
18-24 seconds

vid2
2-9 seconds
20-27 seconds

vid3
3-19 seconds
28-32 seconds

But like i say, the steering problem on highway speeds not solved with this repair ( the dealer called it a new steering computer ).

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/18/2022 at 7:19 AM, jimgerost88 said:

Anyone solved the problem;

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum. I've owned many Toyotas. 3 starlets, previa, avensis, Corolla etc.

Got our kid a Yaris on the weekend. 2009 1.3vvti. Guess what. Sticky steering.

It only has 25k miles on it and in great shape but it makes a lot of strange noises on full lock. I was thinking the noises were dry/old rubbers.

I wasn't connecting the 2 issues but I think they are related.

The steering is a little stiff and won't return to centre.

I've seen a few people suggest too mounts and I'm going to replace them first.

Sorry for the old thread but this one has lots of info/history.

Cheers

K1

On 6/11/2008 at 5:24 PM, carmona888 said:

Hi MyEvilTwin and others,

This is a 16+ year old topic, and MyEvilTwin hasn't visited the Club since 2010, so they are unlikely to reply.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links