Do Not Sell My Personal Information

One Of My Rusty Gti's

RedBullAE92

This is one of my Gti's thats a little bit cosmetically challenged, the drivers front wing must be one of the worst in history, sills are ok though tailgate knackered and then there's the rear seat belt mounts. Of course engine/box are sound and the car drives like new. I'll be using bits from this for my own taxed & tested Gti and to rebuild one thats had a front end whack.

IMG_0105-1.jpg

IMG_0106-2.jpg

IMG_0108-1.jpg

IMG_0103-1.jpg

shocking wing you've got there. You ought to be totally ashamed of yourself.

That's my favourite Corolla shape/model too ! So is this one saveable or is it destined to be an organ donor for the rest of it's iron oxided life??

shocking wing you've got there. You ought to be totally ashamed of yourself.

That's my favourite Corolla shape/model too ! So is this one saveable or is it destined to be an organ donor for the rest of it's iron oxided life??

This is too far gone so will donate to the rest of the Gti's left, I've got a worse Corolla than this ! Will get some snaps of that one next week, rear sills are dust !

NICE!! REAR ARCH!!

Ah the colour and strength of an autumn leaf. :help:

It brings a sense a of warm familiarity.

Why does the Gti rot so bad? :crybaby:

Wow, even though that shape is the least appealing Corolla shape to my eyes, there is no way I would let any car I owned get into that state :shocked:

Wow, even though that shape is the least appealing Corolla shape to my eyes, there is no way I would let any car I owned get into that state :shocked:

Wait until you see my other one, you'll be shocked all over again. The one in the snaps had been sitting around for a few years though this finished it off as we all know leaving a car laying around is the worst thing you can do. My road going one will be getting a jet wash soon in all the rot spots to help it over the winter ( and some rust proofing after that )

hi there i have three corolla's in this shape/model two are donors and the other is on the road how would you like to trade something for that bonnet as i need a white one?? let me know thanks gringo

dunno i actualy thought of getting a 1.3 GL for the basis of the rolla just cos they dont seem to rust as bad. havnt got a sunroof either which is a bonus

dunno i actualy thought of getting a 1.3 GL for the basis of the rolla just cos they dont seem to rust as bad. havnt got a sunroof either which is a bonus

Why not use the 1.3GL. Like you say, no sunroof. Less likely to rot. :D

I've got one, its grey and tatally rust free. I'm in the process of swapping part for part. With very little work,(had to drill the top of the bulkhead, to fit the GTi's strut brace). Thats about it, so far!! Got a white non-TVIS. I was going to swap all, but i've decided to keep some of the lightweight items. Gti doors are full of bulky electrics and motors, for the windows and mirrors. So i'm going to keep the non Gti doors. less weight! :P

Best way forward, cos you're never going to find a Gti Shell that's not, one bad winter away from breaking out in rust bubbles!!

As said before the GTi rusts more than the standard Corolla but then of course it will as it has all the ‘add on bits’ such as Side skirts and the rear spoiler trapping all that moisture against the steel, plus there’s a sunroof to add corrosion.

However in reality are they really that bad for a car that is now 15 to 20 year old ? …

I don’t ever see people on here for example with rotten floor pans and front inner wings.

Reason I say this is in the past cars that were 15 year old (e.g. a 1965 Ford Anglia in 1980 or a 1975 Morris Marina in 1990) would be absolute rotten ‘pulp’. Welding in new floor pans, suspension turret mounts and new chassis rails was normal. As for exterior panels - wings, doors and arches would be falling apart at 8-10 year old (sometimes even 4-5 year old!!! – no corrosion protection warranties back then!).

I know I’ve done ‘buyers guides’ for prospective buyers as to where Corolla GTi’s rust but compared to other older cars I’ve run in the past then Corolla GTi’s have a Fantastic rust repelling body Shell!

Compared to a 1965 Anglia in 1980!!!!!???

Yeah..

Or, a 1977 Datsun in 1980..

'RedNeck 92 Gti-16'

Or, a 1977 Datsun in 1980..

Stone me! you ain't jokin - Datsun 100A or 120Y ... ...Brilliant Mechanically but body rot - shocking!

Having said that at the vehicle shows there does now seem to be the odd 70's 'Jap Crap' :lol: turning up.

To quote:

"During the height of the Cold War I always wondered what I could do during the 3 minuite warning?

...so I thought I know ... ...buy a Japanese car and watch it rust!"

:lol:

hi there i have three corolla's in this shape/model two are donors and the other is on the road how would you like to trade something for that bonnet as i need a white one?? let me know thanks gringo

Do you still need a bonnet ? I've got a few white ones though will need one for a bent Gti I'm soon to rebuild. Is there anything else you need ? You haven't got a decent sunroof panel have you ?!

yeah might have to swap my leccy windows for windies. mine is now pretty much rot free after the restoration of the Shell. but then i have replaced both 1/4s passenger door, 5th door and wings with new panels, sunroof with a very clean second hand one and most of the rear inner wheelhouse/floor area plus a bit at the bottom of the passenger a post!! the only bit thats come back is the front crossmember (radiator support) but ill order a new one and fit it over winter

Do you still need a bonnet ? I've got a few white ones though will need one for a bent Gti I'm soon to rebuild. Is there anything else you need ? You haven't got a decent sunroof panel have you ?!

i may have i'll have a look at my other two and get back to you. no all i need is the bonnet, is there anything else that you need??

i may have i'll have a look at my other two and get back to you. no all i need is the bonnet, is there anything else that you need??

Gringo : A nice rust free Shell ! ( only joking ) I don't think there is, I've got two spares cars so think I'm ok for bits. By the way I'll be stripping one tomorrow, in your opinion is there anything I must remove before I scrap the car, any obscure bits ? So far seats/kit/bumpers/rad/ignition lock/tailgate/wheels are ready to come off or have been removed. I won't be able to remove the whole engine though may take head off and box if I can roll the car over.

If you have a sunroof panel that would be superb.

Gringo : A nice rust free Shell ! ( only joking ) I don't think there is, I've got two spares cars so think I'm ok for bits. By the way I'll be stripping one tomorrow, in your opinion is there anything I must remove before I scrap the car, any obscure bits ? So far seats/kit/bumpers/rad/ignition lock/tailgate/wheels are ready to come off or have been removed. I won't be able to remove the whole engine though may take head off and box if I can roll the car over.

If you have a sunroof panel that would be superb.

well when i started striping mine i even tok the windows as you never know when they will go, also dash clocks i took most of the bits off mine.