Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Super Or Turbo Cahrger Kit?

axsaxoman

i disagree totally about the effect boosting will have on emissions --thats why all car makers are going for boosted smaller engined cars to get the power they require coupled with the performance when needed.

the key is having the right ecu mods .

Which manufacturers are boosting smaller engines? I can only think of Smart who are still making small charged engines. Suzuki and Daihatsu used to but i think they stopped now.

Smart do the new fortwo in both non turbo and turbo. Power goes up from 71 to 84bhp and there is a massive difference in the way they drive. And the new brabus version has 100bhp

VW have their 1.4 with a turbo AND supercharger that gives about 167bhp and lower emmsions that the equivalent 2.0 in the golf

Fiat are doing a 1.4 turbo in the bravo, punto & 400 arbath

Renualt do a 1.2 turbo in the clio and twingo

and thats just the ones i can remember!

And back on topic, i can understand why someone wants to modify an aygo. Its like the smart crowd (ie me) that like to tune the hell out of their cars!

I was considering a Smart Roadster Brabus....but decided not to as even with the Brabus tuning it still wasnt fast......it wasnt even quick.....it was just a little nippier than a normal one.

1.2 and 1.4 now your talking about much bigger engines.

The Aygo and Smart cars are below 1000cc which is why i said smart were the only company i could think of that was still charging 'small' engines.

BTW The Golf GT is turd. I can see why they made it...but its not very good.

I don,t think its pointless blowing the doors off big cars like yours with a puddle jumper

:lol: But thats just it, you wouldnt be able to 'blow the doors off'. You simply cannot get enough power out of the little aygo engine (unless you dont mind blowing it up) to keep up with serious machines.

Im sorry but your talking about putting Amir Kahn in the ring with Mike Tyson here :lol:

167bhp per ton in your aygo vs 279bhp per ton in my supra

But being fair, Lee, we haven't seen any evidence that the Supra can go round corners :lol:

It might handle, I'm just saying it hasn't been anywhere near a track so we won't know :P

Talk the talk, must walk the walk etc.

Paul.

i disagree totally about the effect boosting will have on emissions --thats why all car makers are going for boosted smaller engined cars to get the power they require coupled with the performance when needed.

...Yes there is a large metal bar in the dash, but every car i've ever worked on has been the same. Unless the bar is bolted to the suspension tops (which it isnt) then its still going to give when pushed...

I think the suspension tops are closer to this cross member than most cars, because of the stubby front end. (marked in blue) Therefore the standard torsional stiffness will be relatively high

framexo3.th.jpg

The only small engines that spring to mind are the turbo charged ones used by smart (who also used a 880cc turbo diesel in canada) and the sub 1.5 litre diesels used by VAG group, Renault/nissan, PSA and Ford. I think it must be cheaper and more reliable to use VVT on small petrol engines, than have a turbo/supercharger.

Wouldnt it be better to source a 1.3 Yaris engine from a scrappy? :rolleyes::huh: ;)

Probably not, because that will add a lot more weight than just bolting on a charger + pipework + intercooler.

The stock Aygo petrol engine, at 67kg, is very light for the performance.

Paul.

But being fair, Lee, we haven't seen any evidence that the Supra can go round corners :lol:

It might handle, I'm just saying it hasn't been anywhere near a track so we won't know :P

Paul.

:lol: ok you didn't see it go around corners yourself but PK, Charlie and Sooty did at the Nurburgring this year :lol:

Sure it hasnt seen a track since the engine swap, but now it weighs less and has over 300 brake so you'd be silly to put money on it being slower round the track :lol:

I think it was PK who said that he couldnt believe how quick i got through the NGK Schikane. Where as everyone else applied the brakes to turn i was always flat out through there :lol:

On the longer corners it does like to go sideways admittedly....but thats just down the when the car was made and the huge rear tyres.

But yeah, i preffer driving the Aygo around tight corners over the supra any day of the week. But thats not the point of the supra. I didnt build it with corners in mind, i built it with acceleration in mind. But corners arent a problem for it....(as long as its dry).....

Paul.

:lol: ok you didn't see it go around corners yourself but PK, Charlie and Sooty did at the Nurburgring this year :lol:

Sure it hasnt seen a track since the engine swap, but now it weighs less and has over 300 brake so you'd be silly to put money on it being slower round the track :lol:

I think it was PK who said that he couldnt believe how quick i got through the NGK Schikane. Where as everyone else applied the brakes to turn i was always flat out through there :lol:

On the longer corners it does like to go sideways admittedly....but thats just down the when the car was made and the huge rear tyres.

But yeah, i preffer driving the Aygo around tight corners over the supra any day of the week. But thats not the point of the supra. I didnt build it with corners in mind, i built it with acceleration in mind. But corners arent a problem for it....(as long as its dry).....

well i have tried the turbo kit in mine and i raced mine in the national hill climb where i even beat an audiTT 4 wheel drive tubo so i dont give a ***** if its a 1ltr or 3ltr as long as its fast i like it! and at the quarter mile it can keep up with a standard toyota glanza v which is 1.3ltr turbo not .996 of a ltr! So im pleased with my turbo aygo!

• 2 weeks later...

How much did it cost to turbo charge your Aygo and is the lag severe or smooth? Supercharge would be 'better' for power delivery? Any idea on dates yet and cost! :D

Which manufacturers are boosting smaller engines? I can only think of Smart who are still making small charged engines. Suzuki and Daihatsu used to but i think they stopped now.

Smart do the new fortwo in both non turbo and turbo. Power goes up from 71 to 84bhp and there is a massive difference in the way they drive. And the new brabus version has 100bhp

VW have their 1.4 with a turbo AND supercharger that gives about 167bhp and lower emmsions that the equivalent 2.0 in the golf

Fiat are doing a 1.4 turbo in the bravo, punto & 400 arbath

Renualt do a 1.2 turbo in the clio and twingo

and thats just the ones i can remember!

And back on topic, i can understand why someone wants to modify an aygo. Its like the smart crowd (ie me) that like to tune the hell out of their cars!

I was considering a Smart Roadster Brabus....but decided not to as even with the Brabus tuning it still wasnt fast......it wasnt even quick.....it was just a little nippier than a normal one.

1.2 and 1.4 now your talking about much bigger engines.

The Aygo and Smart cars are below 1000cc which is why i said smart were the only company i could think of that was still charging 'small' engines.

Ah fair point. A lot of japanese cars do it to get round the tax rules for city cars.

As for the brabus roadster, ive never driven one. But a mate of mine runs a scottish smart garage, and has a remap for it. Performance is up from 101 to 125bhp. Thats seriously good for a 700cc engine!

The new smarts, with 1ltr engines, should be great for tuning once the independants find the way to crack mitsubishi's codes!!

The only small engines that spring to mind are the turbo charged ones used by smart (who also used a 880cc turbo diesel in canada)

They do it in europe as well. Seemingly the only reason they didnt bring it the UK is that the couldnt make it rhd. Which annoys the hell out of most smart owners as thats the one they want! 70mpg easily, 88g CO2 = free tax and although slow, not as slow as you think.

But what really gets me with it though, is a company called Wellsmart. They swapped the engine in a petrol RHD smart, and dropped in a diesel. Guess what? Worked perfectly! smart are missing a massive trick!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links