Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Yaris Secondary Speed Display Problem

The Game

HELP!!

Im new to this forum and have a problem.

Please dont laugh too loud when i tell you that ive bought a 1.0 Yaris to teach driving in. Problem is obvious, i cant see the Speed clearly from the front passenger seat...... what options do i have in order to fix this problem?? Buy a gadget? Get someone to reprogramme the Universal display to show MPH only and not average speeds etc....??

Help is urgently needed. :crybaby:

Hello.

<stifles laugh>

No idea but I must admit I've seen the Yaris as a driving school car loads of times and never thought of that!

Are there any driving schools in your area that use the Yaris that you could perhaps check with?

Hiya, welcome to the Club :)

I've seen one or two Yarii as learner driver cars and a good while ago, when I was browsing on the 'net I did see a set which I think was dual controls and had an analogue speedo which the examiner or instructor would use when they were in the passenger seat. Actually I say I think as I'm not 100% sure if they did come as a complete set or you bought them separately.

Link 1

That is one site that I found, but if you do a google search on "yaris dual controls" you will see that aswell as bringing up some review threads and whatever, there are quite a lot of driving schools that use a Yaris all over the country - perhaps you could drop them a line to see where they got theirs from? My computer crashed a minute ago and before that I did finda link that was on the Toyota Website about dual controls but I lost the link and now cant find it - I know it said that Toyota Centres can do it - the price will probably be quite high, but maybe ring your local dealer and make the enquiry.

HELP!!

Im new to this forum and have a problem.

Please dont laugh too loud when i tell you that ive bought a 1.0 Yaris to teach driving in. Problem is obvious, i cant see the Speed clearly from the front passenger seat...... what options do i have in order to fix this problem?? Buy a gadget? Get someone to reprogramme the Universal display to show MPH only and not average speeds etc....??

Help is urgently needed. :crybaby:

I understand that some driving schools use a Sat Nav system as the instructors speedo as they are pretty accurate.

Toyota have obviously thought about the problem because the New Yaris has the speed visible to the front seat passenger.

Hello.

<stifles laugh>

No idea but I must admit I've seen the Yaris as a driving school car loads of times and never thought of that!

Are there any driving schools in your area that use the Yaris that you could perhaps check with?

Will try looking in Yellow Pages or something for other schools, live in Central Birmingham so plenty of driving schools around, have only seen the New Yaris on the roads myself as a learner car. Thanks for the advice

I've seen one or two Yarii as learner driver cars and a good while ago, when I was browsing on the 'net I did see a set which I think was dual controls and had an analogue speedo which the examiner or instructor would use when they were in the passenger seat. Actually I say I think as I'm not 100% sure if they did come as a complete set or you bought them separately.

Link 1

That is one site that I found, but if you do a google search on "yaris dual controls" you will see that aswell as bringing up some review threads and whatever, there are quite a lot of driving schools that use a Yaris all over the country - perhaps you could drop them a line to see where they got theirs from? My computer crashed a minute ago and before that I did finda link that was on the Toyota Website about dual controls but I lost the link and now cant find it - I know it said that Toyota Centres can do it - the price will probably be quite high, but maybe ring your local dealer and make the enquiry.

Thanks for the info. Have followed your advice and can see that GPS Speedo or something similar is what i need, will ring DSA today to find out if they will accept this plug in device, as i know they are strict with health and safety rules.

Link 1

Thanks for the info. Have followed your advice and can see that GPS Speedo or something similar is what i need, will ring DSA today to find out if they will accept this plug in device, as i know they are strict with health and safety rules.

Hi, there is a special 'Passenger' speedo that can be purchased for the Yaris, just for this purpose. You don't think Toyota would miss out on the oppotunity of selling cars to all those learner driving schools do you? :)

Also, you can switch from kph to mph in all the Yaris' by using one of the dash controls. I think it is the right button next to odo, on the speedo cluster. Dims dash light light and changes from kph to mph in a rotatioal sequence. The passenger speedo's sometimes come up on eBay but not too often. If they are too expensive ofrom Toyota, try breakers yards for a crashed learner car, although I don't think this happens as much as you might think, both driver and teacher being able to stop the vehicle! BTW, are you an approved instructor? I am just going through the proccess, done one and two, starting the training for part three wednesday.

Best wishes, Gar. B)

Link 1

Hi, there is a special 'Passenger' speedo that can be purchased for the Yaris, just for this purpose. You don't think Toyota would miss out on the oppotunity of selling cars to all those learner driving schools do you? :)

Also, you can switch from kph to mph in all the Yaris' by using one of the dash controls. I think it is the right button next to odo, on the speedo cluster. Dims dash light light and changes from kph to mph in a rotatioal sequence. The passenger speedo's sometimes come up on eBay but not too often. If they are too expensive ofrom Toyota, try breakers yards for a crashed learner car, although I don't think this happens as much as you might think, both driver and teacher being able to stop the vehicle! BTW, are you an approved instructor? I am just going through the proccess, done one and two, starting the training for part three wednesday.

Best wishes, Gar. B)

Hi Gar

Yes im an approved instructor, passed part 2 and 3 at first attempt. Quaalified in July 07 and going independent now with my little Yaris.

Have sorted the problem out now, DSA have said that it is not essential to see the Speedometer, but im getting one anyway from a guy who is fitting my Dual Controls for me also this Friday.

Link 1

Best wishes, Gar. B)

Hi Gar

Yes im an approved instructor, passed part 2 and 3 at first attempt. Quaalified in July 07 and going independent now with my little Yaris.

Have sorted the problem out now, DSA have said that it is not essential to see the Speedometer, but im getting one anyway from a guy who is fitting my Dual Controls for me also this Friday.

Ok, well done. I passed the first two tests first time. Hope to keep up the record!

I suppose it is not a legal requirement but if you drive near the edge of any speed limit, however good you are at guessing, it will still only be a guess! Better to be able to know if a pupil drives too fast so as to correct the habit, I recon.

Good luck with the going solo, I plan to do that myself although I may use a school for a while, to build a bit of confidence etc. I thought of using Red as they are tied to 'The Instructor Collage', the people I am training with but I really don't fancy a three door car! I have had five door's all my driving life and consider them safer and more convenient too.

BTW, have you had your first check test yet?

Gar.

Link 1

Best wishes, Gar. B)

Hi Gar

Ok, well done. I passed the first two tests first time. Hope to keep up the record!

I suppose it is not a legal requirement but if you drive near the edge of any speed limit, however good you are at guessing, it will still only be a guess! Better to be able to know if a pupil drives too fast so as to correct the habit, I recon.

Good luck with the going solo, I plan to do that myself although I may use a school for a while, to build a bit of confidence etc. I thought of using Red as they are tied to 'The Instructor Collage', the people I am training with but I really don't fancy a three door car! I have had five door's all my driving life and consider them safer and more convenient too.

BTW, have you had your first check test yet?

Gar.

No check test yet, hope its a long time off aswell, although i got 4-4 on the part 3 so must be due a check test soon.

I have seen a Yaris with a little mirror stuck into the housing, around the side of the plastic. Which then enabled the passenger to see the speedo.

It might be a cheaper option!

I have seen a Yaris with a little mirror stuck into the housing, around the side of the plastic. Which then enabled the passenger to see the speedo.

It might be a cheaper option!

My partner wanted to fit a little mirror so she could see the speedo read out when I was driving,told her it would affect the warranty!!!!

• 1 year later...

I'm interested to hear if this little mirror is an option for a test situation (if not for use as an instructor)...

anyone else have any ideas if this would be acceptable by the DSA testers?

well i learnt to drive in a yaris and the instructor had a small speedo pod fitted on passenger side just by her knee, but i took my test in my car. The examiner wasn't bothered about seeing my speedo at all, so no problems there. And i passed :) little tip... if you do go slightly over, dont make it obvious and stamp on brakes, gradually slow down and they dont know a thing ;)

as YGS said above..

tester doesn't need to see the speedo :-)

found out today! takes a lot of pressure off me knowing I can use my own car.

as YGS said above..

tester doesn't need to see the speedo :-)

found out today! takes a lot of pressure off me knowing I can use my own car.

You can use your own car but be aware, there is a LEGAL requirement to fit a secondary rear veiw mirror inside the car... Fail to do this and you WILL have your test canceled and lose your fee!

If you arrive at test without one, tell the examiner immediatly as they may be able to lend you one for the duration of the test.

Again, the secondary speedo is not a legal requirement (for now) and they are pretty good at judging the speed, however, if you have an aftermarket one fitted, it should not interfere with the safe operation of any other control, particularly the passenger air-bag... Imagine that going off and the speedo smashing into the examiner's boat-race, at high velocity... I would imagine that they would fail you! :lol:

My secondary speedo is fitted in the cubby hole between the glove box and the audio system, and is perfect for the job. B)

I was up on all the other things I had to do to use the car , but not the speedo issue..

Mirror -check

L plates - check

MOT cert -check

Beta Blockers -Check ...

Crate of Wine (to celebrate with or commiserate with) - Check

sorted.

of course I'm joking about the Beta Blockers ;-)