Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1998 Gx 5 Door Wiith Leaking Windscreen

lawman

hello,

i have a 1998 rav gx 5dr Have had it from new and its just covered 60,000. It had a repalcement front screen 2 years ago ( autoglass ) due to a stone chip. Last week I noticed rain water running down the A pillar on drivers side. Took it back to Autoglass..took out screen and replaced under warranty........leaks even worse now...........so back i went the next day.........back out.........and back in..........still leaks. The leak is just in the corner and appears to be coming from under the black sealant autoglass have used. They are adamant it is a seal between the welds of the panels that make up the window frame / roof. It is not the radio aerial and it it does not have roof bars. . If you pour a kettle of water slowly down the gutter ( approx 2'' from screen) it appears inside and drips down onto the floor !!!!! . It has gone back to autoglass and I am awaiting the results. I am concerned that they will bodge it up with silicone from the inside to hide the leak for the time being. They appear to be losing patience.......Any ideas.

Ps the screen frame has no rust on it and is in pristine condition.and its is nowhere near the sunroof. ( just used small amount of water above screen )

thanks

Hi Lawman and welcome to TOC ;)

Another member called Bothwell Buyer has also had this problem, so have a read at his threads or I'm sure

he will be around later to comment.

Bothy, over to you B)

Dave is right - bothy is the mighty oracle on those things (4.1 models). He is a night creature so will probably kick off later on.

What happens if you carefully pour water directly onto the side of the widow frame. Does that miss out the seam of the panels?

Welcome to the club.

PS are you one of the boys in blue?

:ph34r:

Hi Lawman

Just happens i've been a windscreen fitter since 1979. autoglass at first but now small independant co.

never had any trouble with any rav's leaking. sometimes dash creaking on 4.2 we fit screens for local dealer

so done a few. you cold try removing A pillar trim (it just unclips) and remove sun visor then get somone else

to pour water over affected area while you gently pull headlining down and look at area between glass + metal

using a torch you might see gap in sealer if it's a small hole you cold fill it over with polyeurethane (not silicone)

or spray screen area with water and use airline from inside car to look for air bubbles. or if you live near somerset

i could look at it for you

Hi Lawman

Just happens i've been a windscreen fitter since 1979. autoglass at first but now small independant co.

never had any trouble with any rav's leaking. sometimes dash creaking on 4.2 we fit screens for local dealer

so done a few. you cold try removing A pillar trim (it just unclips) and remove sun visor then get somone else

to pour water over affected area while you gently pull headlining down and look at area between glass + metal

using a torch you might see gap in sealer if it's a small hole you cold fill it over with polyeurethane (not silicone)

or spray screen area with water and use airline from inside car to look for air bubbles. or if you live near somerset

A very generous and noble offer :thumbsup:

Top man.

OK here we go...

Well first Mr lawman ah hate solicitors so if yer a solicitor or lawyer then this message will self destruct ye. Polis are ok.

Welcome to this sad forum where English 5 door recent model RAV owners haing aboot wi nuthin else tae dae.

Ah appreciate the input given by the good man wha's the ex-Autoglass fitter.

Hooever, I too had ma windscreen replaced oan ma 1994 RAV mK4.1 3 door. It wis being used by my bloved daughter wha's noo 30. Nae idea aboot cars an I learnt that we'ens are fur Christmas....!

Onyway thats a different story!

Back tae the windscreen. After ma RAV was laid up when the girls seized the engine, I found a puddle (well a swimming pool almost) in the passenger footwell. Oan quizzing ma 2nd wife (who you will begin to unnerstan is actually very loving and very tolerant) she denied having a serious incontinence problem. (Ma first wife died frae the stress o living wi me I think)

The water (rainwater and water frae ma hose) ingress tae the inside wis daein ma heid in. Even copious Diazepam couldnae control ma exasperation at the problem. It cost me a fortune in whisky tae try tae think thru whit wis happening. As I had ripped oot the carpets and felt, I was determined to fix leak afore fitting ma new carpet. I ended up stripping the whole dashboard oot as I thought the leak wis coming frae the heater inlets or air inlets or at the bottom of the windscreen. Naw it wisnae that!

So I took aff the plastic rails that cover the channel fur the Roof Rack thing and plugged all of that wi silicon - as a trial = didnae work.

I then removed all of the inside pillar covers, and found that the rain water was getting through a small gap in the windscreen sealant right at the top nearside of the windscreen...then the water tracked its way behind the plasticky upright; behind the dashboard and came out very close to the passeneger side footwell fuse box. Weel; by this time ah wisnae a happy chappy. The screen had been pit back in wi insufficient glue to seal the screen to the frame.

I tried various tubes of gunge as one does. The only one that worked was a cartridge I got from City electrical factors called CT1. It works even under water and it has been bldng magic. It costs aboot £10 a tube but well worth it. I stripped oot the mouldings inside and eased back the ootside rubber then filled the lot wi the magic stuff and it worked!! Only problem is that I used the white stuff and it also comes in a silver grey!! Ma RAV is silver grey!

Anyway, as my screen is showing a slight crack and also pitting, I'm hoping to get the whole screen changed and ask my trusty friends at The garage to supervise the change. I think it might be that the RAV 4.1 may depend on the front screen for body flex strength more than some and that its more important that sufficient adhesive is applied to stop later leaks. My 3 door has 2 removeable roof wotsits.

By the way ma man, if the leak has been there fur some time, you should lift the carpet or do whit i did in the early time and pit a fan heater in to dry oot the inside. After that, I stripped oot the carpet cos it was done, and liberally painted the floor and rubber bung hole where rust was starting from the puddles. I also took the opportchansity to spray the inside of the chassis channel wi waxoyl from the access points on the floor.

If ye get autioglass tae re-fit the screen, ask them to use more adhesive/sealant in the top corners of the screen cos thats where the problem lies I think....I just wonder if the replacement screens are slightly out of shape??

And as has been said, dinna waste yer time oan silicon - its rubbish. If ye need mair detail o the CT1 stuff i use let me know. It comes frae a place in Northern ireland but is sold thru CEF.

If I can help some more let me know. I think i might be down manchester way nearer Christmas but not sure.

I'm pleased that you've had the RAV from new - even if it is a 5 door -

RAVS are for Life - not just Christmas

Welcome to this sad forum where English 5 door recent model RAV owners haing aboot wi nuthin else tae dae.

Nothing else to do! :o I wish! :huh:

Hey Fuj'

You're back!

:thumbsup:

Hey Fuj'

You're back!

:thumbsup:

Finally get a bit of peace and quiet..............in work! :lol:

At home I've been busier than Bee on a productivity bonus! :blink:

Hi Lawman

Unfortunalety I live in North Yorkshire........and the comments about my title.yes I do wear the uniform!!!!! Skipton North Yorkshire.

I have just got my rav back from autoglass.....they have refitted the screen and are adamant that the leak was from the radio aerial.i tried to explain that water does not run uphill unless the car was on its roof!!!!!!!

I have been having a bit of a ferkle with it in the garage.........they have made a good job of the screen and I have found out where the leak is coming from....As you bend your neck into an alomost impossible position you can see the outline of the gutter and where the two pieces of steel that make up the roof and the gutter overlap onto eqach other. I would assume that when the jap chaps made this they were supposed to bond the 2 parts together with sealant then splash some on the outside then paint over it??????????? Well, the outside seems ok but when you pour a kettle of cold water down the gutter the water appears to trickle between these 2 pieces of steel and dribble down the screen. There must be a hairlaine crack on the outside which is letting in water.probabaly being doing it for years. So this weekends jobs are to find the crack..more liklely paint over the external seam with some toyota paint ( build it up in layers ) then get some of that white CT1 white sealnat and use an old hypo syringe form an old first kid, inject it into the gap as sse form the inside and hopefully that will do it......It may be worthwhile checking this apparent fault on all your motors. The car is almost 10 years old I dont suppose Toyota wil honour a manufacturing fault?????????????????? I will let you know !

thanks for the help.

:D

Our very own hofficer!

Well you're off the hook with bothy anyways, its not good to be his enemy.

Those poor boys at autoglass could be right if your car had sunk in a lake - bless them!

I don't know if you are aware but you can access the entire workshop manual on the Toyota Publications Website and there is a pdf file on there that shows how to remove the head lining. If you are to be successful in your repair it needs to be bone dry and having good access may save you a lot of time and trouble. Just a thought that might keep the frustration under control.

Our very own hofficer!

Those poor boys at autoglass could be right if your car had sunk in a lake - bless them!

I don't know if you are aware but you can access the entire workshop manual on the Toyota Publications Website and there is a pdf file on there that shows how to remove the head lining. If you are to be successful in your repair it needs to be bone dry and having good access may save you a lot of time and trouble. Just a thought that might keep the frustration under control.

can you point me in the right direction to find the workshop manual ????????

Our very own hofficer!

anchorman

jist as a point of information, not that I ken ye need any.

I have watched a live demonstration (ie a demo by an employee of the CT1 manufacturers or whoever they are in Northern Ireland) and you can use the stuff to bond 2 different materials together even UNDERWATER! It will work extremely well on wet surfaces. What you do need to do is make sure all the loose stuff is away - which you do with any sort of tool that can get at the job. I used variouis scapers to do the job on the windscreen. I used a wirebrush and a compressed airline to remove the space between the outside of a lintel on a house and the roughcast above - packed the gap (in pouring rain) with CT1 and it stopped the flow of water down inside the house!!

Lawman - if you can't get CEF to serve you/provide it, them message me via the profiles page or even here and I'll send you a cartridge of CT1 - it fits all standard cheap cartridge frames out of DIY stores and keeps for a while, even after breaking the seal. As with other cartridge type sealants it comes with a plastic nozzle which is quite narrow at the open end. I have an acount with CEF but they do welcome the public. If they haven't heard of CT1 - I know CEF in Scotland have got sole distribution rights, I can arrange to get a tube transferred down to a branch near you.

Jist that I might need some advice myself from you one day. Got my Rav 4.1 back yesterday with the turbo up to 0.7 bar and a few improvements made to keep the wheels on the road!!!

good luck

Of course!

To start with you need your model code. Early models had it on the LH suspension turret under the bonnet (RH as you look) and later ones have it at the bottom of the B pillar on the passenger side. It will look something like "ALA 30" or ACA 30" or similar.

Next follow this link;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/

Click online subscriptions down the left side and it will guide you through the process of logging on. Eventually it will ask you what you want to view - TSBs, parts book etc and that is when you select workshop manual. The price is €3 but your credit card bill comes in at about £2.50 but you get more than an hour as long as you stay in the workshop manual i.e. you can move from workshop manual to TSBs within the hour but attempting to switch afterwards will lock you out. They are pdf files so you can keep them but like any other download site you are not supposed to sell them on or anything.

For info all the accessory fitting instructions are FOC and in here;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aim_Searc...up=0&lan=En

As most accessories require removal of trim you can usually have a trawl and find something that shows the removal of that particular bit of trim. As an example this one shows you how to upgrade the music system and how to prize the bits of trim off without damaging them;

http://techdoc.toyota-europe.com/aimupload...A3RA2-W-2-F.pdf

Anyway, have a look and if we can be of any further help give us a shout!

i have been to city electricla factors and they dont know what CT1 is ...............any ideas ??????????//

thanks

OK here we go...

Well first Mr lawman ah hate solicitors so if yer a solicitor or lawyer then this message will self destruct ye. Polis are ok.

Hooever, I too had ma windscreen replaced oan ma 1994 RAV mK4.1 3 door. It wis being used by my bloved daughter wha's noo 30. Nae idea aboot cars an I learnt that we'ens are fur Christmas....!

Back tae the windscreen. After ma RAV was laid up when the girls seized the engine, I found a puddle (well a swimming pool almost) in the passenger footwell. Oan quizzing ma 2nd wife (who you will begin to unnerstan is actually very loving and very tolerant) she denied having a serious incontinence problem. (Ma first wife died frae the stress o living wi me I think)

The water (rainwater and water frae ma hose) ingress tae the inside wis daein ma heid in. Even copious Diazepam couldnae control ma exasperation at the problem. It cost me a fortune in whisky tae try tae think thru whit wis happening. As I had ripped oot the carpets and felt, I was determined to fix leak afore fitting ma new carpet. I ended up stripping the whole dashboard oot as I thought the leak wis coming frae the heater inlets or air inlets or at the bottom of the windscreen. Naw it wisnae that!

So I took aff the plastic rails that cover the channel fur the roof rack thing and plugged all of that wi silicon - as a trial = didnae work.

I then removed all of the inside pillar covers, and found that the rain water was getting through a small gap in the windscreen sealant right at the top nearside of the windscreen...then the water tracked its way behind the plasticky upright; behind the dashboard and came out very close to the passeneger side footwell fuse box. Weel; by this time ah wisnae a happy chappy. The screen had been pit back in wi insufficient glue to seal the screen to the frame.

I tried various tubes of gunge as one does. The only one that worked was a cartridge I got from City electrical factors called CT1. It works even under water and it has been bldng magic. It costs aboot £10 a tube but well worth it. I stripped oot the mouldings inside and eased back the ootside rubber then filled the lot wi the magic stuff and it worked!! Only problem is that I used the white stuff and it also comes in a silver grey!! Ma RAV is silver grey!

Anyway, as my screen is showing a slight crack and also pitting, I'm hoping to get the whole screen changed and ask my trusty friends at The garage to supervise the change. I think it might be that the RAV 4.1 may depend on the front screen for body flex strength more than some and that its more important that sufficient adhesive is applied to stop later leaks. My 3 door has 2 removeable roof wotsits.

By the way ma man, if the leak has been there fur some time, you should lift the carpet or do whit i did in the early time and pit a fan heater in to dry oot the inside. After that, I stripped oot the carpet cos it was done, and liberally painted the floor and rubber bung hole where rust was starting from the puddles. I also took the opportchansity to spray the inside of the chassis channel wi waxoyl from the access points on the floor.

If ye get autioglass tae re-fit the screen, ask them to use more adhesive/sealant in the top corners of the screen cos thats where the problem lies I think....I just wonder if the replacement screens are slightly out of shape??

And as has been said, dinna waste yer time oan silicon - its rubbish. If ye need mair detail o the CT1 stuff i use let me know. It comes frae a place in Northern ireland but is sold thru CEF.

If I can help some more let me know. I think i might be down manchester way nearer Christmas but not sure.

i have been to city electricla factors and they dont know what CT1 is ...............any ideas ??????????//

Had no joy with CEF...........rang head office.........still no joy so rang JACK PENNINGTONS in Shipley west yorkshire...........they have loads of the stuff !!!!!! dont know what brand but is poly' sealnat in 310ml cartridges....£3.50 each in white and black..........they specialise in hardware/electrical/sealants etc trade only but will help out a loyal customer !!!!!!!!! thumbs up again..........just waiting for wife to collect some then will be sealing away. Found the ''crack'' its between the two plates that are jointed in the gutter just above the screen . looks like a design fault to me . will let you know how i get on. will be using an old hypo syringe form an old expedition first aid kit to inject the sealent into the small gaps !! see you later !!!!

thanks

OK here we go...

So I took aff the plastic rails that cover the channel fur the roof rack thing and plugged all of that wi silicon - as a trial = didnae work.

CEF must just have the distribution rights in Scotland. If the stuff ye got doesn't take - the phone number of the CT1 people is:

028 3083 4892 Its 290ml cartridge and I've seen it in white, clear, grey and black. Bonds things even under water and temperature use rage is -40C to +120C so it would even work in Warrington.

I'll need to have a close look at the area that you've pointed out to see if the same has happened...

good luck

Ian

To start with you need your model code. Early models had it on the LH suspension turret under the bonnet (RH as you look) and later ones have it at the bottom of the B pillar on the passenger side. It will look something like "ALA 30" or ACA 30" or similar.

Early RAV 4.1 begin SXA10 OR 11, it is on the chassis number plate on the bulkhead under the bonnet

Kingo :thumbsup:

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links