Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Avensis 2009

djx

I've been reading on other forums - honestjohn and housepricecrash - about Honda and Toyota dealers going bust and this credit crunch ain't going to get better any time soon. If anything, it is going to get much worse so haggling and walking away if you do not get the price and part ex you wish seems the way forward.

I have been keeping an eye on 12 month old low milegae Versos and 3 months ago they were about 12 - 13K. Now 10Kish is the norm and I have seen a few about 250 to 500 below 10K. Immaculate cars also. The Avensis has, if anything, fallen in greater price and there are plenty of low mileage cars out there now.

If M&S can take 20% off everything, if Debenhams can have up to 25% off because of this credit crisis then why aren't the car makers having similar 20 or 25 percent sales? The current reductions that many have on offer are tiny compared to the ticket price and, after all, we are now in a deflationary time not seen since the 1930s - car prices too, IMPO, will go down or car companies will go bust.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldSkoO1

• SF695

• Mister MMT

• Parts-King

Hi all.

I am new to this site having 'stumbled' upon it whilst searching around for a decent picture of the latest Avensis.

It is truely a lovely car to drive. I demonstrate Toyotas around the UK and took one to Leeds today. Toyota have done a wonderful job of restyling the car and greatly improving the interior cabin space. This has been done by lowering the positioning of the seats and better styling/shaping of the dashboard. Controls and instumentation are much better, although the operation of the electronic handbrake seems to be round the wrong way ( push for on pull for off.....oposite to the likes of Audi etc ).

The Tspirit has option of full panoramic sunroof, Auto levelling headlamps, VSC+ working with an impressive PCS system. Adaptive cruise control works well with LKA lane keeping assist.

A lot of features on this car have been tried and tested on various Lexus models and suit this car well.

With prices set to be starting at £16k, this looks to be a certain hit for Toyota sales.

Seeing a previous comment, decision to produce only saloon and tourer versions and cease production of hatchback, follows surveys etc looking into the actual need for hatchbacks. Not great sellers in Europe and less demand for them here.

Auto gearbox is good, so puzzled as to why Auto Express magazine advise potential buyers to avoid it. Pity they chose not to print a reason for their opinion.

Hi all.

I am new to this site having 'stumbled' upon it whilst searching around for a decent picture of the latest Avensis.

It is truely a lovely car to drive. I demonstrate Toyotas around the UK and took one to Leeds today. Toyota have done a wonderful job of restyling the car and greatly improving the interior cabin space. This has been done by lowering the positioning of the seats and better styling/shaping of the dashboard. Controls and instumentation are much better, although the operation of the electronic handbrake seems to be round the wrong way ( push for on pull for off.....oposite to the likes of Audi etc ).

The Tspirit has option of full panoramic sunroof, Auto levelling headlamps, VSC+ working with an impressive PCS system. Adaptive cruise control works well with LKA lane keeping assist.

A lot of features on this car have been tried and tested on various Lexus models and suit this car well.

With prices set to be starting at £16k, this looks to be a certain hit for Toyota sales.

Seeing a previous comment, decision to produce only saloon and tourer versions and cease production of hatchback, follows surveys etc looking into the actual need for hatchbacks. Not great sellers in Europe and less demand for them here.

Auto gearbox is good, so puzzled as to why Auto Express magazine advise potential buyers to avoid it. Pity they chose not to print a reason for their opinion.

Nice to have feedback but it does sound like toyota have employed people to drum up interest on forums.

Sound very sales pitchy.

from what ive seem at work they all seem to have a good spec/ equipment levels. nice to drive too

Do any of them have that stupid wood effect centre panel?

Hi guys my local dealer has just had two delivered. Nice from the outside. But inside.........OMG it looks soooo cheap and nasty. The top of the dashboard has some horizontal streaking which makes it look like contoured sticky back plastic. The very tasteful rocker switches for the climate contol have been replaced with what seems like cheap and nasty plastic switches off a childs radio, and the manly indicator stalks have been changed to ones which have no substance to them, again a backward step. I assume they have done this to save weight but it just feels cheap. Mr Clarkson is going to have a field day. IMHO these switches need to give the impression of quality, fine redesign them but use quality materials - I won't be buying one if they continue with these design features.

Well that was a bit of an abrupt welcome from OldskoO1. I am not encouraged by Toyota or anyone else to put my views etc on this forum. I demonstrate Toyotas, aswell as other brands, and as it pays less than the national minimum hourly wage, I must be doing it because I love the job, and the cars. If I like a car, I say so, like wise if I don't like it or something about it, I will not lose anything by saying so.

The model I drove today, ( Avensis 2009 TSpirit 2.2D-4D ), I genuinely feel is a lovely car, with some great improvements. Yes it is not going to suit everyone, but it pushed the right buttons for me.

There are some things that I do not like, such as the base T2 model uses the 2nd generation media/satnav display panel, which does not suit the new dash styling, and the trim around the display and heating controls is still from the older model. Optional change, or charcoal / carbon fibre effect on TR T3 and TSpirit models. The dash is not made of cheap tacky plastics. This car was though made with Toyotas aim of being 100% land fill free

I found the 2nd gen seating could be a little high. The new design has lowered the seats, giving the instant feel of more room in the passenger area. The A posts are thinner, and with the extra slope of the windscreen, more glass adds to the roomy feel.

Sorry to anyone else who shares Olds......'s feelings, but I thought it would be nice to share my positive impresions of the car with you.

Obviously I was wrong to sound upbeet and enthusiastic.

If M&S can take 20% off everything, if Debenhams can have up to 25% off because of this credit crisis then why aren't the car makers having similar 20 or 25 percent sales? The current reductions that many have on offer are tiny compared to the ticket price and, after all, we are now in a deflationary time not seen since the 1930s - car prices too, IMPO, will go down or car companies will go bust.

Quite simple really, there isnt that sort of mark up on a new car these days. You cant knock 25% off something that has typically half that margin to start with

The lead has to come from the manufactures, they set the price and discount given, this year Toyota launch unpteen new and facelift models. Credit crunch or not, demand will be high, and like any other new car, games console, software etc etc you wont see much discounting unless it flops, and I doubt that.

Dealers are going bust left right and centre, to all intents and purposes, GM ARE bust, and a lot of other manufacturers are twitching cap in hand to their governments. Toyota have the upper hand, as they are a very cash rich company and could buy out many manufacturers with the petty cash tin. Vauxhall sales are down 39% and are offering staff 9 months leave on 30% pay, how can any dealer be sure of a future with all these uncertanties? The distress sale of any product does not bode well for the future, imagine a new model being launched and immeadiatly getting 25% off list price, all that will happen is the residual value will hit the floor and everyone will be up in arms. You cant have it both ways I'm afraid

Kingo :thumbsup:

Well that was a bit of an abrupt welcome from OldskoO1. I am not encouraged by Toyota or anyone else to put my views etc on this forum. I demonstrate Toyotas, aswell as other brands, and as it pays less than the national minimum hourly wage, I must be doing it because I love the job, and the cars. If I like a car, I say so, like wise if I don't like it or something about it, I will not lose anything by saying so.

The model I drove today, ( Avensis 2009 TSpirit 2.2D-4D ), I genuinely feel is a lovely car, with some great improvements. Yes it is not going to suit everyone, but it pushed the right buttons for me.

There are some things that I do not like, such as the base T2 model uses the 2nd generation media/satnav display panel, which does not suit the new dash styling, and the trim around the display and heating controls is still from the older model. Optional change, or charcoal / carbon fibre effect on TR T3 and TSpirit models. The dash is not made of cheap tacky plastics. This car was though made with Toyotas aim of being 100% land fill free

I found the 2nd gen seating could be a little high. The new design has lowered the seats, giving the instant feel of more room in the passenger area. The A posts are thinner, and with the extra slope of the windscreen, more glass adds to the roomy feel.

Sorry to anyone else who shares Olds......'s feelings, but I thought it would be nice to share my positive impresions of the car with you.

Obviously I was wrong to sound upbeet and enthusiastic.

You have convinced me

Your posts were filled with comments on the names of features found on the new model. Normally a review would just explain how nice it drives or how it looks. Sounded like you were filling your posts with all the information sales people would only normally be able to recall.

We know it goes on, so it just sounded like it.

Welcome.

Evening all,

Demo'd another new Avensis today and whilst the car itself I love, there are 2 things today I was not happy about.

1, on previous versions of the satnav system, voice volume could be selected at any level along with the option of adaptive control, effectively increasing the volume according to the noise level in the car etc. This does not appear to be an option on the new system fitted to the TR, T4 and TSpirit. I was driving around Skipton with System of a Down not quite loud enough, and although the player faded to allow for Miss Satnav, you could not hear her.

2, 2.0 VVTi manual sluggish to pick up in higher gears. I so far, much prefer the performance of the diesel engines.

Pluses......comfort, reduced road noise, better handling, push button speed limiter ( then utilises the cruise control lever ), and bluetooth even more simple to set up. 3 taps of the screen, a quick search with your mobile for the car, input code, done. About 20 seconds.

Todays model was the saloon. I think if I had the choice ( which unless I win the lottery I won't have ), I would go for the Tourer version with diesel engine.

Look forward to reading your views about the new models.

2.0 VVTi manual sluggish to pick up in higher gears. I so far, much prefer the performance of the diesel engines.

Pluses......comfort, reduced road noise, better handling.

Hi anh67,

thanks for your nice reviews.

Is the road noise reduction substantial? This is a weak point on the Avensis II.

Is the better handling not obtained at the price of a stiffer, more bumping suspension?

I heard a complaint on the central arm rest being too low for tall persons. Is that so?

I'd be interested to read your opinion on a Petrol MDS version. It could be that the slugishness of the manual in higher gears is due to the longer transmission of te new, fuel efficient 6-gear boxes. Is the CVT box compensating for that?

Jan

Pluses......comfort, reduced road noise, better handling, push button speed limiter ( then utilises the cruise control lever ), and bluetooth even more simple to set up. 3 taps of the screen, a quick search with your mobile for the car, input code, done. About 20 seconds.

Does this speed limiter stop you from going above the speed you set it to regardless of how much you press the accelerator?

I know this is suppose to be the very nature of a speed limiter, just checking.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just joined the forum to find out more information about the new Avensis as it will probably be my next company car, I'm not sure which model certainly a 2.2D maybe 180 T4 or even a T-Spirit.

Do they have DAB radios as standard, seem to remember it being as option on the old model?

Hi, Sorry for the delay in replying to questions asked but here goes.....

Road noise) extra insulation throughout the cabin area helps to achieve the reduction. Particular attention I am told by the trainers, to the dashboard, or shall we say behind it.

Handling) Wheels being moved a bit nearer to the corners, new Mcpherson struts on the front and if memory serves me right ( not gauranteed ), double wishbone suspension at the rear, all help to improve the overall handling and ride of the car.

Contrary to reports in Auto Express magazine, advising to steer clear of models with the CVT gearbox, this is a transmission unit that has been tried and tested succesfully on Lexus models.

My own findings so far are that lower capcity petrol variants are found a bit lacking in the performance stakes. If I had the money, and the chance to decide where to spend it before the wife did.......I would go for a 2.2 diesel and get the T4 spec. The extras you get on the T4 give you just about all you need, and I personally do not see the need for the T Spirit extras.

Toyota GB at Burgh Heath, in light of the recent reports of the major losses incurred, are putting a lot hope and faith on this new Avensis, and frankly, I think it is going to be a winner for them.

Went to my local dealer today, saw the T4 tourer, very impressed with the spec, the centre armrest is huge.

I thought the headroom was a little restricted, I hope there are other options to cream leather as the carpets in the boot would be a nightmare. Looked like it needed lowering, was sitting about 2 inches too high imho

Just an opinion on the extra's, I'm looking at a TR or a T4 and it does seem to me that the options list is a bit limited.

For instance I dont really see the point of auto headlights and wipers? much more useful to me would be active cruise control and premium sat-nav but active cruise is only available on the top spec T-Spirit model.

Whats the point of electric lumbar support? only I'm going drive the car, it's going to get set once and then left for 3 years I'd rather have a better sound system as standard and the electric lumbar thing as an option.

Why can't you have a dirt cheap base model that comes with nothing and then spec it with cost options as you see fit?

It just seems that they come loaded with kit you that either dont want or need and things you do want or need aren't even on the options list.

While I'm having a rant there's a couple of other things I dont understand.

Why only offer Saloon and Estate? I thought Saloons got killed off in the 70's when the Golf came along? How many more Hatchback Golf's have been sold compared to the saloon version of it, the Jetta. It makes no sense to delete the hatch from the range and replace it with a saloon. Hatchbacks must be the most popular body type in Britain.

Why introduce a 2.2 Diesel? Toyota are pitching the Avensis at the corporate fleet market and reckon it will account for 70 odd percent of sales, yet most company car schemes will only run to a 2.0 !?

Apart from that it looks a nice car :-)

Had my RAV4 mot tested at the dealer on Monday and got to sit in all the motors in the showroom , must say i rather like the Avensis tourer, the new grain effect used on the dash looks good , and as others have said the center armrest is huge, at the bottom inside is a tiny compartment not sure what you would use it for, or how easy it would be to get at once you filled It up with your life's possessions.

Standing looking at the tourer from all angles, i like the back end better than the front , and not sure what to make of the frame inside the boot for securing items down,i guess if you don't need it, it has to be stored somewhere in the boot, anyway general opinion is its going to be a hit.....well done Toyota :) .

Just building my new Avensis today on the Toyota website.

TR doesnt come with Sat-Nav as standard, not the end of the world normal sat nav is a cost option.

T4 doesnt come with it as standard either but the ONLY option is for the Premium sat nav and audio system..... I dont want all that, why can't I have a T4 with just the normal sat nav?

None of them appear to come with a DAB stero, which is unforgivable really for a brand new 2009 car, c'mon guys, should at least be a cost option.

drove one today 2.0D tourer was very impressed with it tbh, handling was gd, comfy, nt that slow for a big tourer and loads of room inside big improvement

Why only offer Saloon and Estate? I thought Saloons got killed off in the 70's when the Golf came along? How many more Hatchback Golf's have been sold compared to the saloon version of it, the Jetta. It makes no sense to delete the hatch from the range and replace it with a saloon. Hatchbacks must be the most popular body type in Britain.

Apart from that it looks a nice car :-)

Hatchbacks are/were popular in the UK but NOT in the rest of Europe. Toyota don't take these decisions lightly so they must be confident that the model mix is right for the market, with hatchback owners moving over to tourer models.

Avensis has always been focused on the fleet market, most of their sales are to fleet, especially the user chooser market

Be that as it may, it wouldn't hurt to make a limited number of a performance oriented version. Kind of like the Carina E Gti, back in the 90's, only with more power after todays standarts. Now, when they can put a 3.5 V6 in something, that's basically a Corolla, they could to the same with the Avensis

Be that as it may, it wouldn't hurt to make a limited number of a performance oriented version. Kind of like the Carina E Gti, back in the 90's, only with more power after todays standarts. Now, when they can put a 3.5 V6 in something, that's basically a Corolla, they could to the same with the Avensis

Sadly you cant make a promise of zero emissions (that is Toyota's aim) and then introduce a 3.5 V6 into something. It just isnt going to happen, as much as we would like it. The rest of the world is a different story but in Europe I doubt we will see such a move

I was toying with the idea of changing my late 57 plate T180 avensis tourer for the new avensis, the one i stepped into today in the showroom was a T3 keyless start in a dark blue with off cream interior the view from the drivers seat did not allow me to see the front end of the bonnet hence i thought that might hinder parking the thing in a tight spot plus the dash/interior looked on the cheap side, it is also has a lower roof i thought than my own vehicle i had to drop the drivers seat very low to actually get into the vehicle without banging my head on the roof then re-adjust it to the driving position, once sat in it i found that the interior space did look slightly bigger but again i felt that to be marginal and thought this was due to the middle arm rest being re-positioned, the room in the back seating areas i thought was the same as in my T180, the boot area seems no different either other than it was a little more practicle due to having no bulky sides allowing one to get interior doors ect in it and laid flat, overall its a nice looking car but i don't think its for me yet, and with this credit crunch i doubt its the right time to even begin to consider a part X, i understand from the salesman i spoke to that in or around august a T180 model will be available, so if the credit crunch changes i may have a re-think, but to be perfectly honest what i have seen of the new avensis does not get me excited enough to go out and buy one at this time.

12572.png

Sadly you cant make a promise of zero emissions (that is Toyota's aim) and then introduce a 3.5 V6 into something. It just isnt going to happen, as much as we would like it. The rest of the world is a different story but in Europe I doubt we will see such a move

Maybe not, but all i'm saying is, that i wouldn't hurt to make a limited number of performance versions of the Avensis. VW is doing it with the Passat, Opel with the Vectra, Ford with the Mondeo and Honda Accord comes with a pretty powerfull I4.

Obviously a car like that, wouldn't be the topseller, but with a limited amount, i'm sure they would get all of their hands.

Maybe not, but all i'm saying is, that i wouldn't hurt to make a limited number of performance versions of the Avensis. VW is doing it with the Passat, Opel with the Vectra, Ford with the Mondeo and Honda Accord comes with a pretty powerfull I4.

Obviously a car like that, wouldn't be the topseller, but with a limited amount, i'm sure they would get all of their hands.

They stuck a supercharger on the outgoing corolla and built 250 which they struggled to sell in 2 years.

They even struggled to sell the t-sport. One of the reasons why toyota sell as many cars as they do is because they design for the masses. I agree it would be nice for them to make some twin turbo diesels, 3ltr petrols or even a v8 but its not where the demand is or the money, especially on an avensis.

I'l love them to do a twin turbo diesel which i do think is feasible but they have to look at their emissions and they also have the big barge lexus to think about and the 2.0ltr scoobies.

:crybaby::crybaby: :( I want a V6 , i want a V6. Why can't we order a car after our prefered specifications?

Seriously, it's kind of a paradocs, that the most powerfull version of the Avensis is a diesel, which is normally known for it's fuel efficiency