Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Avensis 2009

djx

But then again, the Corolla T sport, was never a car that i wanted to have. Too high revving. Then i would rather have the D-cat version of the Auris, which actually had better acceleration numbers than the T sport

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldSkoO1

• SF695

• Mister MMT

• Parts-King

But then again, the Corolla T sport, was never a car that i wanted to have. Too high revving. Then i would rather have the D-cat version of the Auris, which actually had better acceleration numbers than the T sport

Too high revving? That's how it was designed!

Yamaha designed the engine based on the high revving bike engines they produce!

And don't believe the manufacturers 0-60 times, they have been proven to be wrong ;)

Anyway, had a look round a new Avensis at my local Shell garage yesterday (salesman was filling it up).

Must say from the look i had i was quite impressed with it.

Sadly though unless Toyota start bringing out petrol sport versions of their cars i won't be swapping the CTS anytime soon.

Too high revving? That's how it was designed!

Yamaha designed the engine based on the high revving bike engines they produce!

And don't believe the manufacturers 0-60 times, they have been proven to be wrong ;)

Anyway, had a look round a new Avensis at my local Shell garage yesterday (salesman was filling it up).

Must say from the look i had i was quite impressed with it.

Sadly though unless Toyota start bringing out petrol sport versions of their cars i won't be swapping the CTS anytime soon.

I know it was designed that way. That's why i don't like it.

A lot of people disagree with this, but imo an engine shouldn't rev too much above 7000 rpm to achieve it's peak power. Then i'd rather go for more displacement or turbo. Never been a fan of diesel engines either, but the D-cat developes 180 hp and what's really intersting 400 NM of torque. And it does it all belove 5000 rpm. So, out of the 2 the D-cat would be my prefered engine. Maybe the times have been proven wrong, but until i have tried to time both versions myself, i might as well believe the times given by Toyota. which are 8.4 sec. for the T sport and 8.1 sec. for the D-cat Auris.

, i might as well believe the times given by Toyota. which are 8.4 sec. for the T sport and 8.1 sec. for the D-cat Auris.

Toyota's time for the CTS is actually 8.2 sec ;)

So 0.1 sec in it then? I'd still choose petrol over diseasel :P :lol:

, i might as well believe the times given by Toyota. which are 8.4 sec. for the T sport and 8.1 sec. for the D-cat Auris.

Toyota's time for the CTS is actually 8.2 sec ;)

So 0.1 sec in it then? I'd still choose petrol over diseasel :P :lol:

Normally i would too, but imo the diesel is the lesser of 2 evils. It's fine to try to achieve as much power as posible for a given engine size. I respect that. But when you have to use rpm numbers above 8000 it becomes a little bit to extreme for me. And also, it's like trying to beat Honda at their own game. I'd rather see an engine producing as much power as posible at 7000 rpm. max. When that is achieved and you want some more, put a turbo on it or increase the displacement. BHP output can allways be achieved by increasing the redline, but the torque will allways be more or less limited by an engines given displacement, unless you boost it.

read the review in top gear magazine.. not very good. basically they say that the car is ok but not unique enough to compete against the insignia and modeo. and the engine line up isnt great

read the review in top gear magazine.. not very good. basically they say that the car is ok but not unique enough to compete against the insignia and modeo. and the engine line up isnt great

Toyota seldome does good in european reviews. I'd still take it over Ford any day. One good example, not from Europe but still. The Toyota 2GR-FSE engine was on the top 10 of "Wards best engine" but didn't win because it was consideret "too perfect"

However i agree that the engine lineup for the Avensis leaves a couple of things to be desired, as i allready stated before. And i'm afraid the reason is, that they don't wanna overlap with the Lexus IS

Why only offer Saloon and Estate? I thought Saloons got killed off in the 70's when the Golf came along? How many more Hatchback Golf's have been sold compared to the saloon version of it, the Jetta. It makes no sense to delete the hatch from the range and replace it with a saloon. Hatchbacks must be the most popular body type in Britain.

Apart from that it looks a nice car :-)

Hatchbacks are/were popular in the UK but NOT in the rest of Europe. Toyota don't take these decisions lightly so they must be confident that the model mix is right for the market, with hatchback owners moving over to tourer models.

Avensis has always been focused on the fleet market, most of their sales are to fleet, especially the user chooser market

Kingo :thumbsup:

Well they dont get to be one of the largest car companys in the world by making the wrong decision, but for my money I would prefer a hatch, more practical than a saloon but not as big and heavy as an estate. Horses for courses I guess but an estate isnt an alternative to a hatch.

I disagree with the Avensis being focussed on the fleet market, although they are aiming it at that apparently. They say Japanese cars come loaded with kit for not alot of money which is great for the private buyer, where something like the Vectra / Insignia which really is aimed at the fleet market comes with nothing but has a million options, body styles, and engines.

I disagree with the Avensis being focussed on the fleet market, although they are aiming it at that apparently. They say Japanese cars come loaded with kit for not alot of money which is great for the private buyer, where something like the Vectra / Insignia which really is aimed at the fleet market comes with nothing but has a million options, body styles, and engines.

In a declining market and worldwide recession, manufacturers cannot sustain a zillion options in their model line up, it is far too costly. The fleet market work on a few principles, how much is it, whole life cost, and residual value, they couldn't give a :censor: about options for the driver. The user chooser market is far more like the private market and that is what Avensis is aimed at IMHO

Hi from a Newbie.

I am considering a new Avensis 1.8Petrol Auto in TR trim.

The Toyota GB web site configurator includes Electrochromatic Auto-Dimming rear view mirror, which I can't see mentioned in the brochure.

Also shows as having rear parking sensors as standard fit, which in the brochure is extra?

and finally which I find utterly confusing is on the website I can't have the auto with Cruise control. :blink:

Is anyone able to confirm the above?

Thank you for your help.

Steffi

From Gooney Bird

The Toyota GB web site configurator includes Electrochromatic Auto-Dimming rear view mirror, which I can't see mentioned in the brochure

NO Not on TR, only from T4 up

Also shows as having rear parking sensors as standard fit, which in the brochure is extra?

Only on T Spirit as standard, available as an option on TR & T4

and finally which I find utterly confusing is on the website I can't have the auto with Cruise control

Correct, NOT available on 1.8 Multimode S

Some options are very confusing, I'm sure it will get better as new price lists and brochures are printed, there has been unpecidented demand and the re-prints are taking some time to come out

Pluses......comfort, reduced road noise, better handling, push button speed limiter ( then utilises the cruise control lever ), and bluetooth even more simple to set up. 3 taps of the screen, a quick search with your mobile for the car, input code, done. About 20 seconds.

Does this speed limiter stop you from going above the speed you set it to regardless of how much you press the accelerator?

I know this is suppose to be the very nature of a speed limiter, just checking.

When you set the speed limiter you can accelerate to that speed. If you do want to accelerate further to overtake etc the new avensis accelerator pedal has an extra bit of travel (as in a kick down for an auto box) if you press the pedal into this area the car will pass the speed limiter.

When you slow again it will reactivate the limiter.

Drove quite a few of them today on our 'new vehicle course' - very impressed. I dont agree with peoples comments of the dash/plastics looking cheap etc (much better than the nasty Mondeo Econetic we drove to compare)

Feels bigger inside than the previous Avensis, electric park brake took some time to get used to (auto disengages on manual models when pulling away)

T-Spirits soon to come with radar cruise system/ Bi Xenons/ lane keep assist and crash prevention etc etc.

Learnt alot about the new valve matic engines too - clever stuff.

IQ day tomorrow :)

Mart.

Do you have to keep reaching down to activate the electric brake? or have they actually thought to put it somewhere within easy reach?

Also what did you think of the drivers seat? comfy?

Do you have to keep reaching down to activate the electric brake? or have they actually thought to put it somewhere within easy reach?

Also what did you think of the drivers seat? comfy?

The EPB switch is located the the left of the steering wheel just a bit lower down.

You just push it to activate the brake and it takes a few seconds (you can hear the actuator working) then the park brake light appears on the dash.

If the car has a manual gear box all you do is pull away and it releases yourself :)

You can also activate it when moving (if requires extra braking force in an emergency) by keeping it pressed down as it will gradually engages itself.

If you leave it pressed long enough you will eventually get full braking clamp force of 1243 Newtons (let go and it will release)

I thought the seat felt more comfortable after just getting out of an earlier model but then again i didnt think the older type were uncomfortable.

Mart.

Well it's only fair I should at least see one before making any judgment, so I went to the Toyota dealership to have a look at the new Avensis. Even though I had no intention of buying a car there and then the staff were polite, helpful, and happy for me to have the keys and have a look and play with it, dont start it up in the showroom was the only, understandable, request. So far so good well done Toyota Bilston.

Have to say it does look a nice car, inside and out, Ive heard it called bland, ugly, and different. I guess it's down to personal taste but it looked fine to me, certainly prefer it to the old one.

It goes a bit wrong after this point with a couple of major concerns, I sat in the driver's seat and immidiatly thought someone had left the lumbar support extended right out, however pushing the button to retract it yielded no result, turns out it already was fully back (yes the ignition was on)I must admit I havn't tried a Passat/Mondeo/Insignia so I can't comment on how it compares, but it felt like the lower half of the seat back was pushing me forward away from the seat back, the top half of my back wasnt really in contact with the seat at all. Maybe it's because it's new and the stuffing/foam needs to squash down a bit?? (I've never had a brand new car so i dont know) and maybe over time it will mould itself to my shape. What I will say is when I first got given the Vectra I hated the seats in that and commented it was the most uncomfortable thing ever, I still dont think it's great but It seems more comfortable now than it was 30,000 miles ago.

The other thing was the boot, which is HUGE! but the opening is quite small which makes it difficult to access all that space.

I know people who want a hatch are supposed to migrate to the tourer, but I dont think they will, if you would normally buy a hatch then the tourer's overkill, not to mention £2 grand more expensive, and really too big for a single person like myself. I still think they have made a mistake deleting the hatch. Time will tell.

That said though on the whole it seemed a nice car. Dont feel so bad about being given one now. I just hope the seat gives a little and moulds to my shape.

Seriously now I've gone and seen it I'm quite looking forward to getting mine in March :)

From Gooney Bird

The Toyota GB web site configurator includes Electrochromatic Auto-Dimming rear view mirror, which I can't see mentioned in the brochure

NO Not on TR, only from T4 up

Only on T Spirit as standard, available as an option on TR & T4

and finally which I find utterly confusing is on the website I can't have the auto with Cruise control

Correct, NOT available on 1.8 Multimode S

Some options are very confusing, I'm sure it will get better as new price lists and brochures are printed, there has been unpecidented demand and the re-prints are taking some time to come out

Thanks for the info.

Had a test drive today in a 1.8TR Auto, and came away suitably impressed. I think I can live without the cruise control.

One other item that has arisen is the standard fitment Radio CD has a DAB button. The dealer explained this wasn't available as an option which is a right bummer!

Is thare any likelyhood of a retrofit at a later date as with the VW item.??

I've just ordered a T4 D4D 150 tourer in Decuma Grey with protection pack, nearly ordered a Dark Blue but the beige leather & carpets were giving me nightmares.

I hope in the future we can retrofit a DAB module, I didn't have the sat-nav as I decided it was over the top for my needs.

Normally I would have gone for a hatch back but my lifestyle really needs an estate, certainly a saloon is of no use to me.

The choice of colours is pretty poor, very monochromatic. All in all though I'm impressed with the basic spec, apart from the stereo it beats my Vectra, the other option I was looking at was the Passat & that didn't offer the same spec without having ££££££££££ of extras

I hope in the future we can retrofit a DAB module,

You dont have to wait for the future, DAB is available as an accessory, not sure about every single model, but it is listed for a T4 Tourer. Price £371 plus fitting.

It amazes me how thick salesmen are, bet they never even looked to see if it was available :censor: ers!

This happens on a daily basis, not exactly a chore to find out, if I were the sales manager they would be booted!!! :angry:

I hope in the future we can retrofit a DAB module,

You dont have to wait for the future, DAB is available as an accessory, not sure about every single model, but it is listed for a T4 Tourer. Price £371 plus fitting.

It amazes me how thick salesmen are, bet they never even looked to see if it was available :censor: ers!

This happens on a daily basis, not exactly a chore to find out, if I were the sales manager they would be booted!!! :angry:

Thanks for the advice. Alas may be to no avail.

Just found out today that the car I wanted Avensis TR 1.8 Auto is not allowed as a company car, because it is not the the official list. Old model is on list, which was updated Dec 08. Long circular conversation along the lines of: it won't be on the list because it's new. You can't have it coz it's not on the list....and so on... :(

might just wait a month or two before re-enquiring...

New models usually get on the list very quickly. It is the Toyota fleet department that make sure this happens ASAP as they will be losing sales if the car is not on the list. Try again at the beginning of Feb

kingo please pester TGB to bring out the red (its availiable in south africa and europ cos ive seen loads going down the line) ill get the colour code monday.

itsa very vibrant red like chilli red but its a metalic, it looks awesome. really cant understand wh we cant have it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone got one yet? I'm changing my company car at some point this year and the new avensis is on our list. Looks like we are getting a good deal as I can get a 150 Tspirit saloon for a very reasonable price. I saw a tourer parked in our local tesco yesterday, looked pretty good