Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Increased Revs When Changing Gear

Bulkhead

I have an annoying problem with our new Corolla (not called Auris here in Oz). I'm not sure if it applies to UK cars as we only have a 1.8 litre engine over here. Anyway, when changing gear the revs rise each time you take your foot off the accelerator and depress the clutch. I know you're probably thinking it's poor technique but even when I release the gas pedal and then depress the clutch it still happens. Not a major problem but it makes you sound like your a complete novice driver. Anyone else have this problem? Can anything be done about it? Our test car was exactly the same and I thought maybe it's just because it was new but it now has 6000 kms on the clock and is still doing it.

It's something to do with temperature stabalisation in the exhaust system during the gear change. All of them do it and not much you can do about it

I think that you'll find that most, if not all modern petrol engined cars do this.

There are two reasons, one is emmisions based, the other that it helps the lesser skilled drived to achieve a smoother transition through the gears. Once you get used to it, you'll forget it ever existed.

If the increase in revs is dramatic then there may well be an issue, but if no more than 1k you'll probably find that it's just the engine management clearing out any unburnt fuel and trying to keep emissions as low as possible at the same time. Try just lifting off the gas just a little bit earlier and the car has then less rectification work to clear any unburnt fuel.

I get the same thing and I do not think it is normal.

Seems to happen more in 1st & 2nd gear.

It is as though when changing gear, you are not easing off the accelerator pedal - The revs increase by about 500-1000. Does not seem to be a problem in higher gears.

I am assuming its a sticky cable.

Will be getting myself down to the dealer in the coming weeks to take a look

Double check it has a cable first!

You'll not look brght if you start complaining about a sticky cable when it's got a drive by wire throttle (although 1.4 still has a cable) :)

• 14 years later...

I'm having a similar problem, I have a Toyota Corolla Verso 2003, I live in the UK just in case. 4th and 5th gear I had no movement just revving, got to a round about and went into limp mode luckily I was on a hill and was able to roll down, got to traffic lights and she was back running again like nothing happened. I'm not 100% sure if it's a clutch problem or not but this is driving me nuts. There are days I'll go into 2nd gear lift my foot off the clutch and the car acts like the clutch is still on and 4000 revs later, still no movement.

I have no idea what to do, has or is this happening to anyone else or am I just unlucky

That does sound like a worn clutch issue to me. If it's a diesel might be worth replacing the flywheel to as IIRC the diesel Versos use a DMF.

Do a clutch test.

Handbrake on, fifth gear, slowly release clutch while giving some gas.

If the clutch is fine, car should stall. 

Otherwise, how many miles? Maybe you glazed the clutch by giving it a lot of rpm, while not being fully released.

5th?? Aren't you supposed to do that in 2nd??

Some say 3rd, some 4th, some 5th. But the point of the test is to stall the car.

Maybe the test with 2nd is supposed to try to move the car.

This is with handbrake on, and 5th gear gives most resistance, and should stall if the clutch is fine.

• Like 1

Usually I test the clutch in 3rd gear. Regardless the gear number, the result must be the same: engine stall.

I noticed a thing: meantime the clutch wears, the pedal rises up so that determine me to adjust it, lowering a little bit. Otherwise the pedal become stiff and high and clutch wearing accelerates... 

The pedal travel should be 3 and a half cm from the floor to the biting point.

I think it depends on the car - All mine have been hydraulic and self-adjusting so you really can't tell until it starts slipping.

It was really obvious on my dad's old diesel Verso, as when you moved away from a stop or suddenly asked for many beans it would suddenly rev up like a CVT before the clutch caught up :laugh:  (It's that revving with no extra motion that most drivers dislike about CVTs)

Auris clutch is self adjusting, so you can't really compare the biting point, as it adjusts to the wear.

I think the only adjustment you can is top slack, as the pedal needs some ~1cm of slack, not to be always engaged.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago, my Auris needed clutch pedal adjustment, clutch behaved as I told before...

Was it adjusted by you, or the garage? 

I was looking to adjust the clutch when i got the car, and checked under the pedal, checked the slave, there was nothing, as the clutch is auto adjusting itself.
Maybe you just had a leaky slave, or there was air in the line, so it behaved differently.

I adjusted the pedal myself, it has an adjustment rod, all that I needed was a 8mm wrench and another one of 13mm. I have service manual for my car and entire procedure is written there.

People from the garage didn't want to adjust the pedal when I was there for a MOT, they said anything is all right, pedal is self adjustable, bla bla bla, but I didn't like how clutch feels and behaves.

After I adjusted it, clutch works great, soft, quick and responsive. Pedal travel has not changed since then.