Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Previa Auto Gearbox Problems

KARL5306

I HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1996 PREVIA, IT CHAGES THROUGH THE AUTO GEARS VERY SMOOTH, BUT SOMETIMES IT JUST WONT SHIFT THROUGH THE GEARS AND JUST STICKS IN FIRST, IT SEEMS THAT WHEN THIS HAPPENS, ONLY STOPPING SWITCHING OFF AND LEAVING IT FOR TEN MINS, THEN IT STARTS TO CHANGE GEAR, SMOOTH AS EVER AND WITHOUT FAULT, THIS HAS HAPPENED TWICE IN THE LAST WEEK IVE HAD IT,,,COULD IT SIMPLY BE THE GEAR OIL NEEDS CHANGING, I CANT GET A SERVICE MANUAL SO ANY HELP ON WHAT THE PROBLEM COULD BE AND INFO ON HOW TO DROP OLD OIL, AND WHAT GRADE TO REPLACE ETC...WHERE TO FILL GEAR OIL ETC..PLEASE HELP!!REGARDS..KARL..

As stated you should check the oil level but ONLY when hot. Take the car for a good 5 - 10 mile drive then with the car still idling check the level. NOT ONLY should the level be correct but the oil should be RED in colour if it is anything else it needs changing.

Unfortunately the majority of drivers, irrespective of what they drive, are incredibly ignorant when it comes to looking after their vehicles. Very few ever bother to read the owners manual and follow the instructions contained within. Then when something goes wrong then its a case of "oh dear please help...boo hoo" or "these cars are rubbish, this one has given me nothing but trouble" meanwhile it is not the car but the muppet that owns/has owned it.

Now unfortunately when, like you, someone purchases a second hand vehicle chances are it has spent many years in the hands of those I have described.

The first thing I would do is drain the oil, drop the pan and change the filter (and YES there is a filter in the auto gearbox which you can only buy from Toyota, you must buy a new pan gasket as well). Whilst the pan is off check how much metal the magents, which you will find on the pan, have accumulated. This will be a good sign of any damage to the box. If there is an excessive amount of metal you have issues if not clean everything ensure you have reconnected the pipes correctly (taking pictures before you start is a good idea) and refill with oil.

ALSO check the wiring going to the gearbox. Pull apart and push together a few times the connecters. THESE are ECT (Electronically controlled Transmissions), if you have a bad connection you may well have intermittent problems like you have described. Also check the "Kick Down" (Throttle Cable) under the passengers seat for correct adjustment. This is the cable with the red rubber boot. With the throttle wide open the metal lug at the end of the cable should not protrude from the boot by more than 1mm.