Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Low Engine Oil Warning Light

ZeroBlade

Just as the topic states my warning light flickers on for a brief period occasionally. This' usually on a motorway journey (100miles or so), and not so much during city driving.

I'm not sure if it requires oil replacement or if its a faulty wire etc.

Any suggestions?

-Z

mine was flickering last night after something blew in the engine and now my engine is toast. Check the oil and dont do what I did, but my light never went on... I would check it out soon dude dont want to blow ur motor or something dumb.

if its a Turbo car i would check the oil once to twice a week defo as nearly all turbo cars use oil

for a NA car ant least once a week best get it checked out mate

I'm taking my car in to have the mongoose put on, on SAT. I'l get the guy there to have a look at it then.

Unless some1 can guide me thorugh changin oil on the 2, not sure how to go about it w. the mid mounted engine :huh:

It's a N/A MK2, rev1 btw, ;)

Edited by ZeroBlade

easy to check the oil dip stick has a yellow handle well does on mine make sure you aint driven any where for a while just check to see how much oil you have init if its low top it up

Just did that oil levels fine.

Only drove it out last nite parked it, then came home. Car's been parked since then.

Wonder what the problem could be? :unsure:

Do you think that "mixing" differnet oils could have somethign to do w. it?

When i got the car (couple of months age) I checked the oil levels and it was a little low, so i topped it up.

-Z

i would defo get a oil and filter done at the weekend if you can is it when just on a run it does it or if you giving it some round bends and that?

You cen get an occasional oil light flicker if you're driving the car particularly hard, though I've never seen it myself, it can happen. However, it would be good advice to check out the oil filter, change oil etc. Also an oil pressure test would be a good idea, check to see if the pressure is low, which would mean potentially parts of the engine are not receiving enough oil - not a good thing!!

I havent actually driven the car too hard yet, but now that u mention it with my exhaust being completely <I thought I could get past the swearing filter - what a sad muppet I am eh?>ed i still put my foot down occasionally, tho i hardly get newhere, lol, that could very well be the problem... :unsure:

-Z

Just took my car for a spin, driving SLOW i.e. i was always under the 30 limit!

I let it warn up for a good 5-6mins before i took it out, (it's FREEZING outside), then i drove about a mile or so and parked her up waiting for a m8, that damn light came on again and stayed on!

So i switched the engine off, then back on again and it was fine. Drove it round for about 30-40mins, again i was driving slowly, heck even gear changes were painfully slow for my liking, Rache h8's me driving fast, lol.

So i'm kinda stumped on this :wacko:

Hrm i was just reading up on the error codes and thinking i need to try it out :)

One thing i'd like to clear up...

The cpu keeps the lest know error right?

Cos the problem happens at the most awkward times when i can't possibly check it.

Cheers,

-Z

Cool. Not planning on resetting it til i get my exhaust on, early nxt week hopefully!! :D

I'll take a look at the error code 2moro. Thnx again bibbs!

-Z

The flickering light could be caused by a faulty oil pressure switch. These are normally easy to replace (depending on the location), and just require the wire to be pulled off, the old pressure switch to be unscrewed, and the new one put in place.

If it is not a faulty oil pressure switch you could have low oil pressure, which means worn main bearings. :( If the engine rattles when starting from cold (more so if you put you foot on the throttle), then it is definitely worn bearings (i.e. knackered engine). :crybaby:

If it is not a faulty oil pressure switch you could have low oil pressure, which means worn main bearings. :( If the engine rattles when starting from cold (more so if you put you foot on the throttle), then it is definitely worn bearings (i.e. knackered engine). :crybaby:

The car does do this but it's been put down to my f****d exhaust.

Dropped my car off at the garage 2day to get my new exhaust fitted cept i 4got to mention that gaskets etc weren't included w. the mongoose so i got a call off the mechanic about an hr ago saying he couldnt get it fitted 2day, he'll have to get the parts on Monday so no car til then :(

I'll have to check to see if the car makes a rattling noise when its fixed up. If it does :crybaby:

...But there is a silver lining to every cloud...

MAAAAT PATRIIIICK!!!

Sort me out w. a black top transplant, CHEAP!! ;)

hehe, :thumbsup:

K, just got my 2 back from the garage sans stock exhaust, now with the mighty mongoose :)

Gotta agree w. rhaines on this one... it isnt THAT loud, hehe :lol:

Good news here guys the rattling sounds gone, and my car starts up first time w/o any problem!!!

Just killed 3 birds w. one stone :D

Gonna reset the ecu at the we. but gotta put new spark plugs and ignition leads in first.

Guess i'll head home (translated to - "Gotta do a little driving down the a1" ;))

Havent seen the engine oil light yet... mechanic did say he topped up my oil by 1 litre, but i swear i read it right...

We'll have to see.

-Z