Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help - Can't Take It Any More!

Welshgirl

Dear people

I have had my Yaris GS since July. I love it, apart from one problem which is driving me up the wall.

Intermittently, my car makes an annoying whistling noise similar to wind blowing over the top of a bottle. It seems to be coming from the back of the car, and it only happens at speeds of greater than 30mph. It sounds louder in wet conditions.

I have taken the car back to the dealer, but they said they can't find anything wrong with it.

This is driving me insane! :ffs: Has anyone else experienced this problem with their Yaris, and if so, what was it and how did you sort it out?

Any help would be much appreciated.

sounds perhaps one of the boot seals might not be quite right... can't really imagine what else it would be

solution: turn up the volume on your stereo :)

I've tried that, but the noise is high pitched so you can still hear it.

Maybe I just need to find the right type of music where it blends in!

Ha ha ha :lol:

I can see you're all taking it as seriously as the Toyota man who looked at me as if I was mental, and my boyfriend who says I'm 'totally overreacting'. :rolleyes:

ITS A SERIOUS PROBLEM! :help:

:D :lol: LOL paseo, how funny would that be! :lol::lol:

Honestly I can't think of anything it might be, asides from someone in your boot blowing on a bottle...

er.... check all the window seals, make sure the windows are rolled up properly, check the seals in the boot, check for loose gaps in the body work at the back, um.... not much else i can recomend!!

Sometimes when the air rushes through, specially at certain speed it can whistle!

this may reduce increase at certain speeds, and with certain climatic conditions!

Occasionally can happen with hub caps, but not as likelly

Another option is air rushing around the tailgate, to test this idea put say 2-3 layers of masking tape around the boot when shut (use masking as it wont mark like standard tape) it would be most likelly to be the top line of the boot so give it a bash and see what happens, if it cures it you know the problem, you know its not serious and you can get on with ignoring it!

Well in that case, tek the trims off and try it!!!

(You will look daft with masking tape over your boot, by the way)

What you rekon yarisboy m8?

Had a similar problem on my last car, these were suggestions people made with that one (it was nt a Toyota).

So I'm just sharing the idea's. Although I didnt bother with the masking tape cos I would have felt a bit stupid, and I thought that was too far

I won't tell you what it was in the end though, as that would ruin the fun

I take it then it is old shape Yaris

Try tilting the aerial further to the roof

If its too upright it will whistle

Just an idea :yes:

:wacko: I reckon anything's worth a go dave... I've never heard of a yaris whistling before though, not from the back anyway....

it's got to be a seal or.... something that allows wind to get through, so i'm actually willing to believe your wheels idea lol

could try the ariel... are your windows properly up??? lol

Could be worth taking the wheel trims off, might be that in the same way as the alloys.

I still rekon theres a blokey in your boot... :lol: :P

No help but i get nit in my yts sounds like i pipe band in the back or the wind is in with me if you find out what it is let me know please? :angry:

Haha .. a bloke in the back does sound plausible as i've heard of rattles and virbrations in the Yaris but not whistles. You sure its not some guy whistling at you while you're driving by? :lol:

Anyway, will be interesting to see what it is causing the problem .. and good luck too! :thumbsup:

one suggestion

lift up the boot floor and remove the spare wheel

theres one or two holes in the bottom panel and should be bungged up with a big rubber gromits

if thats not there then the air rushing over the hole will ergo then causing the 'whistlin bottle' noise

:thumbsup:

I have it too. It seems to me that it is due to the gasoline trap door.

Sometimes after refueling i hear a whistle but only around 150 km/h.

It ends rapidly.

In fact the fixation of the trap door allowed the trap to vibrate in certain cases.

It's what i think.

Believe it or not this is caused in the fuel pump area. Have somone go under and spray some boat foam around the front and back of the fuel pump.

Be sure somone knows what the fuel pump looks like.

Well I am very touched that so many people are applying their considerable brainpower and knowledge to my little problem. :D

Funniest suggestion: someone is hiding in my boot and blowing on a bottle!

Most flattering suggestion: that it is people whistling at me as I drive by. Bless the lovely person who said that!

That has given me lots of food for thought and I'll try everything. Well maybe not sticking masking tape over my boot, I think Dave just suggested that to amuse himself with the thought of me driving around looking so ridiculous!

I will let you know how I get on! I am going on a nice long drive this weekend, it will probably be raining too so prime conditions for it to happen!

Well, I thought I'd try the simplest thing first - the ariel. My ariel is virtually upright and I can't see any way of adjusting it - it won't tilt backwards and I can't see a screw.

ANYWAY, I thought I'd just take it off completely and see what happened...and...... THE NOISE SEEMS TO HAVE STOPPED!

I drove around all weekend and it didn't do it, even in rainy conditions! Hurrah - thanks to Shutty for his simple yet effective solution xxx :D

Well, I thought I'd try the simplest thing first - the ariel. My ariel is virtually upright and I can't see any way of adjusting it - it won't tilt backwards and I can't see a screw.

ANYWAY, I thought I'd just take it off completely and see what happened...and...... THE NOISE SEEMS TO HAVE STOPPED!

I drove around all weekend and it didn't do it, even in rainy conditions! Hurrah - thanks to Shutty for his simple yet effective solution xxx :D

But now you can't listen to the radio ;)