Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dual Mass Flywheels

anchorman

This is an interesting account. Your biggest (and quite honestly amazing) advantage has been the labour rate which is extremely reasonable and you also did quite well on the parts.

Glad you are sorted and and if you want to give up the name of the repairer I'm sure he will get many takers for this kind of work.

Cheers

This is an interesting account. Your biggest (and quite honestly amazing) advantage has been the labour rate which is extremely reasonable and you also did quite well on the parts.

Glad you are sorted and and if you want to give up the name of the repairer I'm sure he will get many takers for this kind of work.

Cheers

I know thanks mate. I dont mind putting details of the garage up if the mods are happy for me to do so, I know some forums unless you have paid for a banner ad its frowned upon so i dont want to be stepping on any toes ;)

You can always pm me. The garage is based in leytonstone in East London.

With the parts, its time consuming ringing and searching on the net, however i thinks worth the hassle esp looking at some of the prices some guys have paid for the repairs on the cars.

Cheers

I know thanks mate. I dont mind putting details of the garage up if the mods are happy for me to do so, I know some forums unless you have paid for a banner ad its frowned upon so i dont want to be stepping on any toes ;)

You can always pm me. The garage is based in leytonstone in East London.

With the parts, its time consuming ringing and searching on the net, however i thinks worth the hassle esp looking at some of the prices some guys have paid for the repairs on the cars.

Yes me too.

Now this post is here, maybe interested owners could pm you for the details if they are in your neck of the woods. My feeling is that they would be worth a visit from anywhere inside the M25 or even further.

Cheers

Dunno whether this has been posted before, apologies if so.

Was looking around the German RAV4 FAQ site and there is a link to a youtube DMF animation.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...history_state0=

Just follow the film link (FAQ No. 2)

Some stuff on there about RFTs too, if you translate it.

• 1 month later...

Hi :)

I have read all your posts about your flywheel problems and would appreciate any help you can give me .

My Rav4 d4d 2002 02 57000 miles has been diagnosed with the problem by the local Toyota dealer but they refuse to foot the bill because of the car being over 5 years old , albeit under the 60000 mile limit .

What im angry about is that i rang about a new clutch 2 years ago and wasnt informed that it could be replaced under the flywheel warranty .I therefore got it repaired elsewhere for £500 less than Toyota wanted . I argued with them that they should have told me about the warranty situation when i enquired about the clutch , and that they could have checked the flywheel when they did the clutch repair !! . However , they just deny any record of the phonecall and wont help , other than a £500 reduction in the £2580 bill for the flywheel, clutch and electronic control thingy !!

Im livid that it has cost me £400 for the clutch already AND now they want £2080 more to repair something which is a Toyota design fault !!

I feel like trashing the showroom atm !! :D :o

Please could you help me in any way as i am in no position to repair the car as i have just returned to work after a 2year layoff due to 2 slipped discs :(

Thanks !!!!!!! ;) :)

You are in the same boat as many others. The trouble is you can't sell it (without discounting a similar value as the job) and the repair bill is astronomical.

I'm sorry but apart from finding somebody else there isn't a lot you can do.

However, you don't have to get the ECU and you can buy a kit for about £600 inc VAT. You can then get an independant to fit it or better still do it yourself if you have the inclination. There was a guy in London that got the job done for close to £1000. It would be worth taking the car down there for the cost of a train ticket. Just do a quick search and see if you can find him then send him a pm which will alert him by email for the details.

I really can sympathise with you over this, my 02 rav was serviced at a main agents when it was 4yrs + 11mths old having done22000mlsi did a 1000ml trip around Scotland and noticed my clutch felt odd, when i got back returned it to dealer who said it needed new clutch £1000+No mention of flywheel, Took it to independent £600 for clutch but warned me last rav he did needed new Flywheel,(alarm bells) took it to 2nd main dealer, who charged me £45 to bleed the clutch but advised me while it was on the ramp a rattling sound could be heard from the bellhousing possibly flywheel breaking up Quoted £1600+ still no mention of known fault or extended warrantee, guess what! car had now done 23500mls and was 5yrs + 1 week old, to quote dealer, sorry mate its past the 5yr deadline, after weeks of arguing with Toyota customer relations they agreed to cover some of the cost + eventually i got it done for £1000 totaly destroyed my faith in Toyota + my local dealers, Who i no longer use for anything.. :angry::angry: I know this doesnt help you, but i have just seen a complete clutch + flywheel kit on eBay for around £200 dont know its quality but at worst you can get the whole job done for around £1000..Good Luck Mate

Here is the link for ClUTCH KIT.. There are quite a few on eBay :thumbsup:

Yeah thanks mate , but ive been informed its not the right one as my Rav is a 2.0 !! :(

I am gonna make them pay one way or another , im not gonna let this go :)

Why should we all suffer when it is a design fault ? its wrong and im not going to lie down and be shafted in this way ........ Toyota..... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!! :P

Why should we all suffer when it is a design fault ? its wrong and im not going to lie down and be shafted in this way ........ Toyota..... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!!
OK I understand what a royal PITA this is and if it happened to me I know I would be as hacked off as you are, but if you are going to make a case against Toyota you will have to overcome the following...

The cars are sold with a 3 year OR 60,000 mile warranty that is the contract you enter into with Toyota when you buy a brand new car. If you do not like the terms of the contract you either negotiate different terms or buy a car with a longer warranty.

If you go to the doctor with the flu you would not expect them to tell you all of the diseases you could catch or things that could go wrong with your body during its lifetime at that consultation. In the same way a Toyota dealer will not inform you of every possible fault that may occur on every car in their range when you enter a showroom. Expecting to be told of a potential issue may seem like a courteous thing to do but I suspect it does not help to sell cars and so is not done by many sales staff trying to reach targets.

You have to quantify the size of the problem, in other words of all of the cars Toyota make with a DMF how many fail and after what milage/time frame. If this figure is below a certain percentage Toyota can claim this as a minor issue (e.g. less than 1% of cars we make have this problem).

Toyota are the number one car maker in the World and when a company gets that big they have to get a very large number of complaints for it to register on their radar. Another example would be Microsoft if you don't like a feature in their software and complain about it they are not likely to change the feature for you, I expect you would need complaints in the millions for it to be an issue for them.

Yeah thanks mate , but ive been informed its not the right one as my Rav is a 2.0 !! :(

I am gonna make them pay one way or another , im not gonna let this go :)

Why should we all suffer when it is a design fault ? its wrong and im not going to lie down and be shafted in this way ........ Toyota..... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!! :P

Mr Squiggly I honestly wish you every success, but I think like me you will hit a stonewall, I phoned, wrote, + threatened Toyota customer services, even told them i wished to speak to someone higher, to which they replied this is as high as it gets basically like it or lump it!! once you have exceeded the 5yrs/60000, they will not budge..Its a long story, but i had just ordered a brand new car, and the only way i could get even a token gesture off them was by cancelling my £23000 order.. As i said I know how angry you are and admire you for having a go, but ultimately i think you will just end up frustrating yourself even further..Good Luck Mate let us know how you get on :thumbsup:

A well respected after market brand called ADL-Blueprint ,now lists a duel mass flywheel for the RAV4.2 diesel, its parts number is ADT33507C, I'll try and find out the price today :)

• 2 weeks later...
A well respected after market brand called ADL-Blueprint ,now lists a duel mass flywheel for the RAV4.2 diesel, its parts number is ADT33507C, I'll try and find out the price today :)

Camskill quote this part for £734.63

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m30b889s2879p0

I don't know what they put in the hilux, but surely they must be of harder stuff....?

RAV4 4D4 53 plate

Just been reading all the posts ref DMF, something I hadn't heard of before Friday 13th just gone. Thats the day when mine failed. All the usual noises and at first I thought it was just the clutch as it wasn't drivable. Rang my local garage to collect and within a day they had reported DMF failure, causing extensive damage to various other components. Anyway to cut the story short the total bill is going to be in the region of £1400 with £300 being contributed by a free basic warrantee received when I bought the car 2 years ago (better than a kick in the pants) After having read all the failures reported I believe there is a serious case for Toyota to answer, either poor manufacturing/materials or poor design. The car had been in the garage for 4 days when another local RAV4 owner came in with the same trouble. Perhaps if someone could assemble all the facts, correlate and reconcile them and present them to Toyota they would find it difficult to deny a problem with this part. I am going to contact TUK I will update, provided I don't have to be scraped off the ceiling.

RAV4 4D4 53 plate

Just been reading all the posts ref DMF, something I hadn't heard of before Friday 13th just gone. Thats the day when mine failed. All the usual noises and at first I thought it was just the clutch as it wasn't drivable. Rang my local garage to collect and within a day they had reported DMF failure, causing extensive damage to various other components. Anyway to cut the story short the total bill is going to be in the region of £1400 with £300 being contributed by a free basic warrantee received when I bought the car 2 years ago (better than a kick in the pants) After having read all the failures reported I believe there is a serious case for Toyota to answer, either poor manufacturing/materials or poor design. The car had been in the garage for 4 days when another local RAV4 owner came in with the same trouble. Perhaps if someone could assemble all the facts, correlate and reconcile them and present them to Toyota they would find it difficult to deny a problem with this part. I am going to contact TUK I will update, provided I don't have to be scraped off the ceiling.

I feel your pain.. having had mine go...I still have the old parts if needed for proof or the damage these things do when they break....big hole in DMF and clutch plate dented....

It's a known part to go and Toyota are aware that's why they extended the warranty period...but certain stipulations are linked to it... me I was out of the warranty period so had to pay....

Further to my post about DMF I have finally had the job done. £1338 in total. While the car was in this small local garage 2 other RAV4s came with the same problem. One was 4 years old, 60000 miles (mine has only 43000) took it to main dealerwho sold it. He was quoted £1700 less 700 goodwill. I am staying in contact with him.

I have sent my second letter to TGB although I haven't received any response, not even an acknowledgement of the first. Next step will be the Chairman TGB or/and Chairman TEurope.

Of course there is always the small claims court! I'll keep you posted.

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a few months since i was last on the forum regarding the dreaded Dual Mass Flywheel failure. It is no surprise to me to see that since then even more people are experiencing the same problems. I sympathise with all your efforts to get Toyota GB to listen to your concerns.

I can now report that i issued legal proceedings against the garage that supplied my RAV4 under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 as amended and am delighted to tell you that i was successful in my claim against them. It takes a few months to go through the court process but it was worth it.

I agree with you. Why should you have to put up with it. I certainly wasn't prepared to.

Good luck

• 5 weeks later...
It has been a few months since i was last on the forum regarding the dreaded Dual Mass Flywheel failure. It is no surprise to me to see that since then even more people are experiencing the same problems. I sympathise with all your efforts to get Toyota GB to listen to your concerns.

I can now report that i issued legal proceedings against the garage that supplied my RAV4 under the Sales of Goods Act 1979 as amended and am delighted to tell you that i was successful in my claim against them. It takes a few months to go through the court process but it was worth it.

I agree with you. Why should you have to put up with it. I certainly wasn't prepared to.

Good luck

THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.......

I had the same idea but ran into problems.... But I have all the documents on the table putting that issue on hold till I sort those other issues but fully intend to take that route...

There are a few cats on the forum talking about why we may have to swallow what Toyota GB is doing and speaking all that crap about other manufacturers having similar problems.... PLEASE...

First they tell you Diesel is the way to go..

Everyone rushes out, purchases a diesel, only to see the price of diesel sky rocket. Then all the manufacturers trick us with fraudulent cars claiming how quiet and efficient they are knowing very well these DMF's fitted in these diesel models is not as refined as they say and all posess design faults.

They dont think they could sell the cars cheaper and explain the design faults and give you a choice before you spend your hard earned cash.. They dont think it makes better business sense to come clean..

Of course not, they just wanna profit to the max, just like the dirty bankers.. Then they want tax payers money to bail them out of financial difficulties using the workforce as bait to pull on our heart strings...

Zippy... Are you at liberty to say how much you were compensated??

I got my car and DMF crap fixed for £700. I have not driven it since. I hate the car now. Just as I hate bankers and politicians. And DEFINATELY TOYOTA.

I'd rather buy a reliant robin before I ever spend another cent on a Toyota.

:crybaby: well its happened to me fault free running then dmf failure , 54 reg 48,000 ,miles not towed, rrg rochdale tried toyota who refused , on complaining they offered a goodwill payment so i will pay £1000 .

independant quotes me £890 sorry i am going to independant ,

i will now have to retain vehicle longer and cannot trade in as i was going to for a more economical later model...p****d off

Good luck

THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.......

I had the same idea but ran into problems.... But I have all the documents on the table putting that issue on hold till I sort those other issues but fully intend to take that route...

There are a few cats on the forum talking about why we may have to swallow what Toyota GB is doing and speaking all that crap about other manufacturers having similar problems.... PLEASE...

First they tell you Diesel is the way to go..

Everyone rushes out, purchases a diesel, only to see the price of diesel sky rocket. Then all the manufacturers trick us with fraudulent cars claiming how quiet and efficient they are knowing very well these DMF's fitted in these diesel models is not as refined as they say and all posess design faults.

They dont think they could sell the cars cheaper and explain the design faults and give you a choice before you spend your hard earned cash.. They dont think it makes better business sense to come clean..

Of course not, they just wanna profit to the max, just like the dirty bankers.. Then they want tax payers money to bail them out of financial difficulties using the workforce as bait to pull on our heart strings...

Zippy... Are you at liberty to say how much you were compensated??

I got my car and DMF crap fixed for £700. I have not driven it since. I hate the car now. Just as I hate bankers and politicians. And DEFINATELY TOYOTA.

I'd rather buy a reliant robin before I ever spend another cent on a Toyota.

Hi again

I received the cost of replacing the flywheel at toyota main dealer, plus cost of independent assessors report and court fees. Good luck!

zippy

Hi,

Hope I'm doing this correctly,new today!

Can anyone give me some advice,just bought a Rav 4 02 on a 51 plate nxd4d,specifically to tow a 850k caravan,seems I made a blunder?

I thought that a 4 wheel drive diesel would be perfect for the job but note there are some problems regarding towbar hieght and worse this dmf thing,I feel I may have bought the wrong vehicle,anyone towed successfully with one of these??

Thanks..

Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice,just bought a Rav 4 02 on a 51 plate nxd4d,specifically to tow a 850k caravan,seems I made a blunder?

I thought that a 4 wheel drive diesel would be perfect for the job but note there are some problems regarding towbar hieght and worse this dmf thing,I feel I may have bought the wrong vehicle,anyone towed successfully with one of these??

Thanks..

Welcome to the club.

Don't worry! If you trawl through these pages you will find there are many owners that use their vehicle for just the same reasons as you do and have never had a minute's trouble. DMF failure is not a given and most people successfully deal with the towbar height. If you search through the main threads you will find various views and approaches to the latter.

Enjoy your motor!

Hi,

Thanks..

Welcome to the club.

Don't worry! If you trawl through these pages you will find there are many owners that use their vehicle for just the same reasons as you do and have never had a minute's trouble. DMF failure is not a given and most people successfully deal with the towbar height. If you search through the main threads you will find various views and approaches to the latter.

Enjoy your motor!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links