Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help!

manks88

I am about 2 days away from buying a 91 MR2 which is immaculate apart from one bad part. The owner said that he has been advised to change the 'big end shells', I really do not have a clue what these are!! If anyone could just let me know if this is a big expensive job i'd really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

How much are you paying for the car?

I wouldnt touch it personally. Would be cheaper and easier to fit a recon engine rather than getting the shells done as the engine has to come out anyway!

as the engine has to come out anyway!

no it doesnt!

Can you explain as to why the engine does not have to come out to get to the shells then Dale?

And if it was me, I wouldn't touch a car that needed a big job doing to the engine.!!!!!

as the engine has to come out anyway!

no it doesnt!

Can you explain as to why the engine does not have to come out to get to the shells then Dale?

And if it was me, I wouldn't touch a car that needed a big job doing to the engine.!!!!!

I am intriegued by this as I always understood that it was necessary to remove the engine from a 91 MR2 to change the big end shells.

Maybe Dale has a "trick of the trade" to show us ;)

It would only be worth buying if the price takes into account the cost of major repairs (with engine out?..........or in?)

oh come on, use your brains.

drop the sump, oil pick up, and theres the crank, the rest is self explanatory

I did not think it was possible to drop the sump on the MR2 without the engine being removed.

If that is not the case I must acceed to your superior brain :P ;)

I did not think it was possible to drop the sump on the MR2 without the engine being removed.

Because you have never tried! so whats the point in posting on this topic to mislead and question what is right? none what so ever

Because you have never tried! so whats the point in posting on this topic to mislead and question what is right? none what so ever

I think Dale, that you underestimate my experience. Please do not be so presumtious as to think that I have never carried out bottom end overhauls on a wide variety of vehicles. :rolleyes:

I did not post on this topic to mislead......................only to question the ability to carry out a bottom end overhaul on an MR2 without taking the engine out.

Please do not turn this topic into a p***ing contest

ok Hi return from the umm unknown!!!!

this is exactly one of the points that made me deicde to stop posting on here!,

People with no idea of engines, mechanics or vehicle systems posting utter rubbish on subjects they know nothing about!!

Ash hun although i love you, pls don't get involved in subjects you have no knowledge on, stick to kittens n knitting,

Steve, show me proof you know about engine building and i will eat my words!!!

i know a little about engines, well ok a lot about them, don't under estimate what you don't know!!!!

afaik, to do big ends it can be done in situ, mains on the other hand is a crank out job,

so all you people with little or no mechanical background can !Removed! cos you aint got a clue what you are talking about,

remove sump, undo big end caps, inspect, measure and replace, job done!!

no mystery or magic voodoo powers, just spanners n oil,

seriously you ppl aint got a clue!!!

if you want your club to grow and continue, why give bad advice based on little or no knowledge to new members, hmm nice way to make people feel welcomed n safe!!!!!!

i never intended to return but the bad advice given out on here is a joke, and i'm only posting to try n help,

but i guess the opinion of a vehicle technician doesn't count??, only been working on cars and bikes since 1986 so i think i know what end of a spanner to hold!!

Dale's posts were after consulting me we both agreed on the methods, as i said above do not under estimate what you don't know, dale is a very competant mechanic and has great knowledge of the sw20!!

Seriously you all need a reality check!

no doubt you'll edit or remove this eh steve cos there is content you might not like!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said.

Mo.

Have you ever worked on an MR2?

Have you ever looked under an MR2?

Do you know ANYTHING about 3sge engines?

if you did, you wouldnt be posting crap questions and giving **** advice!

You and me both know why you started asking questions

exactly MO

If I dont know about yaris' i dont post about them, same as any car, whats the point in talking bull, giving the wrong advise and questioning what are facts, none what so ever

stick to what you know, and you wont go wrong! if you dont know then !Removed!

I am not quite sure what you mean by that.

I mearly offered an educated opinion based on my experience:

"I am intriegued by this as I always understood that it was necessary to remove the engine from a 91 MR2 to change the big end shells."

As stated above I have had several years experience of carrying out bottom end overhauls on IC engines.............do not underestimate my experience. :rolleyes:

I did not post on this topic to mislead......................only to question the ability to carry out a bottom end overhaul on an MR2 without taking the engine out.............I acceed to your knowledge if you think that it can be done in-situ.

Please do not turn this topic into a p***ing contest........................or it will be edited

"I am intriegued by this as I always understood that it was necessary to remove the engine from a 91 MR2 to change the big end shells."

As stated above I have had several years experience of carrying out bottom end overhauls on IC engines.............do not underestimate my experience. :rolleyes:

I did not post on this topic to mislead......................only to question the ability to carry out a bottom end overhaul on an MR2 without taking the engine out.............I acceed to your knowledge if you think that it can be done in-situ.

Please do not turn this topic into a p***ing contest........................or it will be edited

youre a ****, who edits peoples posts for a power trip to make up for having little to no life

you have NO experience of the 3SGE so thats why you talk bull, so im not underestimating anything!

and DO NOT even start to post the t+c to be clever!

Okkkkkkk Please can this stop now? Stop Throwing insults in this and other threads ...its just a little below the belt and not too mention immature!

youre a ****, who edits peoples posts for a power trip to make up for having little to no life

you have NO experience of the 3SGE so thats why you talked bull, so im not underestimating anything!

DALE..............I acceed to your knowledge if you think that it can be done in-situ.

I would remind you that personal insults or threats to the moderating team can get you banned from TOC

"T&C Edit: 2nd December 2007

Moderators within the Toyota Owners Club are appointed by the management to volunteer and moderate topics and posts within the club and have the right to remove, edit or alter any post they see fit that bides with these terms and conditions on this website. Any members opposing a moderators decision should do so with the moderator directly by using PM or email in a professional manner. Any member purposely creating posts or threads opposing a moderators decision will result in the members forum account being closed permanently. Members should also be reminded that we do not tolerate ANY rudeness to staff members whatsoever whether it is done through the website, PM system or email. "

You may wish to edit your postings in this topic and the Forum Help Nominations topic.

you have NO experience of the 3SGE so thats why you talked bull, so im not underestimating anything!

DALE..............I acceed to your knowledge if you think that it can be done in-situ.

I would remind you that personal insults or threats to the moderating team can get you banned from TOC

"T&C Edit: 2nd December 2007

Moderators within the Toyota Owners Club are appointed by the management to volunteer and moderate topics and posts within the club and have the right to remove, edit or alter any post they see fit that bides with these terms and conditions on this website. Any members opposing a moderators decision should do so with the moderator directly by using PM or email in a professional manner. Any member purposely creating posts or threads opposing a moderators decision will result in the members forum account being closed permanently. Members should also be reminded that we do not tolerate ANY rudeness to staff members whatsoever whether it is done through the website, PM system or email. "

You may wish to edit your postings in this topic and the Forum Help Nominations topic.

read my post above! does toc tolerate rudeness face to face?

Always your way tho steve,

you don't like? edit n delete to make it all safe n nice for the kiddies!!

it's the real world all opinions count,

why lead a blinkered life, do we live in a democracy or capitalist state??, this is the WWW we are all individuals, i was always under the impression we had freedom of speach, and entitled to our own views, is this not the case??

correct me if i am wrong, but this is Toyota OWNERS club hmm a car/van/4x4 etc club for owners of said marque, of which 99.99% are ADULTS and capable of making their own decisions, without having them emposed by others who think they are a super power????, freedom of speech haha that'll be the day on here!!!

the turning point for me was,, post edited for cruelty to animals it's laughable this is the Internet n a lot worse is out there, and it was a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so what is it your trying to prove?????,

this is not an attack at you steve, cos in person you're one of the nicest guys i've met, it just seems to me the wrong ppl have too much power, look at other cars sites they all go the same way!!,,

would you pull up n correct one of your peers in the the pub for using an expletive?? i think not so why do it on here? an internet forum should not be a nanny state, but a place for every single person to express their views without coming under scrutiny!!.

Think on or TOC will continue it's demise.

But as this is posted on a forum all of the above is solely my own personal opinion.

Mo

Ooooh!... lol

I knew you could do it without the engine coming out. Now that's saying something!! lol.

I agree though, TOC isn't known for it's great technical brain power.

If I was going to fit a larger turbo, Manifold, wastegate etc... I wouldn't even think about asking on here.

There are other forums out there more technically minded.

I also agree with above comments, if you don't know... don't reply. It is misleading and could cause loads of issues if the advice is taken as to be accurate!

There are other forums out there more technically minded.

I also agree with above comments, if you don't know... don't reply. It is misleading and could cause loads of issues if the advice is taken as to be accurate!

Aye... couple of good points there....

its why I dont post on here so much these days... but I must say.. this thread was pointed my way for reading value.. :P

Always your way tho steve,

you don't like? edit n delete to make it all safe n nice for the kiddies!!

it's the real world all opinions count,

why lead a blinkered life, do we live in a democracy or capitalist state??, this is the WWW we are all individuals, i was always under the impression we had freedom of speach, and entitled to our own views, is this not the case??

correct me if i am wrong, but this is Toyota OWNERS club hmm a car/van/4x4 etc club for owners of said marque, of which 99.99% are ADULTS and capable of making their own decisions, without having them emposed by others who think they are a super power????, freedom of speech haha that'll be the day on here!!!

the turning point for me was,, post edited for cruelty to animals it's laughable this is the Internet n a lot worse is out there, and it was a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so what is it your trying to prove?????,

this is not an attack at you steve, cos in person you're one of the nicest guys i've met, it just seems to me the wrong ppl have too much power, look at other cars sites they all go the same way!!,,

would you pull up n correct one of your peers in the the pub for using an expletive?? i think not so why do it on here? an internet forum should not be a nanny state, but a place for every single person to express their views without coming under scrutiny!!.

Think on or TOC will continue it's demise.

But as this is posted on a forum all of the above is solely my own personal opinion.

Mo

Mo ............I am not trying to prove anything.

I have told Dale that I acceed to his knowledge if he thinks the bottom end overhaul can be carried out in-situ.

I do not question either his or your experience of working on cars.

I accept that your post is not a personal attack but feel that Dales postings are rapidly approaching threats and personal insults................That is why I have reminded him of TOC Terms and conditions.

I would like to feel that the forums can be a place that discussion (Technical or otherwise) can take place without the need to revert to threats and personal insults......................That does not get anyone anywhere.

Moderators on these forums have quite a difficult time without being insulted. :)

LOL..

I made my post and went to the pub last night, log on this morning and WOW!!!!!

Reason for my comment on engine out was made because of issues I had with my engine last year, from a garage point of view he couldnt say 100 percent it was the big end shells so he said instead of me messing with getting the sump off to have a look and then go for repair he advised me to locate an engine and do the swap thus clearing a potentionally expensive fault finding exercise!

The above is my experience.

Appologies for miss information and causing a riot!!

I cant help think that Red Yaris got jumped on there despite any personal history of which I'm not aware. I don't think that he invited it in this particular situation.