Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis Bad Buy?

taximark

Is it now becoming a bad buy and are other manafucturers catching Toyota up? it seems so many Taxidrivers i know are reporting increasing problems with their Avensis and worryingly alot have been the flywheel issue, im due to replace mine soon and seriously thinking again, the Mondeo although a ford has got heaps of praise in a recent review.

the Mondeo although a ford has got heaps of praise in a recent review.

Every Mondeo since they introduced the Mk1 in '93 has got heaps of praise in reviews.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like the things, I have done thousands of miles in rented Mondeos and I owned a Mondeo Mk 2 for over five happy years and it was pretty good, but.....

There are many reports of problems with TDCi motors though, and the customer care is not a patch on Toyota's. As an example, the unofficial 'extended' warranty on the VVTi engine oil problems. Wouldn't happen with Ford. My Mondeo had a wet boot, acknowledged as a design flaw by the dealer (rear lights not sealed properly). That will be £49 Sir. The car was 14 mths old, well under a year into a 2 year Ford Direct warranty. I worked with two other people who had same-era Mondys. They paid the same dealer £49 too. Ker-ching.

Also, I have read that Mondeos built around 2003 suffered rusty doors. Another acknowledged fault. Allegedly some dealers will fix out of warranty, others won't.

Lastly, my soft spot for Mondeos led me to have a look at the new Mk IV. Had a good look at a £23k Titanium X in the showrooms and, honestly, it still felt cheap in places compared with the Avensis. Nasty plastics, cheap feel to glovebox and other 'hatches'. I was extremely disappointed, as I would buy another Ford if only they could genuinely lift the quality of their vehicles.

I still miss the heated front screens tho...using a scraper (or the wipers on a misting screen on a cold day) is dark ages stuff :-)

Mondeos are a brilliant car doing pretty much everything to a high standard, one potentially major problem with Diesels. Not engine as such but the high pressure fuel pump can let go around the 40,000mile mark, series money. Ask around.

Sorry,no contest as far as reliability goes the Avensis wins hands down.My brother is a cab driver and runs a lpg converted Avensis.I do his servicing for him and it has done 150000 miles.In that time the only none srvice item I have had to replace is an ignition.

As far as the Mondeo goes the diesel one is a pile of junk IMO.We have plenty of them in with DMF faults.Injector faults.Fuel pump failures and increasingly common now front road springs breaking and rear subframe bushes collapsing.

No my friend stick to Toyota.I know the diesels have this fault with the flywheel but you can bet Toyota will sort it out a lot quicker than other manufacturers.

If it bothers you that much buy an auto petrol one like my brother and have the lpg conversion done.He has never looked back.

Sorry,no contest as far as reliability goes the Avensis wins hands down.My brother is a cab driver and runs a lpg converted Avensis.I do his servicing for him and it has done 150000 miles.In that time the only none srvice item I have had to replace is an ignition.

As far as the Mondeo goes the diesel one is a pile of junk IMO.We have plenty of them in with DMF faults.Injector faults.Fuel pump failures and increasingly common now front road springs breaking and rear subframe bushes collapsing.

No my friend stick to Toyota.I know the diesels have this fault with the flywheel but you can bet Toyota will sort it out a lot quicker than other manufacturers.

If it bothers you that much buy an auto petrol one like my brother and have the lpg conversion done.He has never looked back.

Was on about the new Mondeo that has just launched, i know the older models were bad however its the d4d v the new mondeo that is contested and tbh the new mondeo looks better then the d4d however it is a new model and i suppose problems can develop.

Ill only say this on the mondeo

baby jag(X TRASH upps type) platform used previous mondeo :blowup:

toyota platform used IT'S own :king:

SORTED

MOUNTAINMAN :baaa: :baaa: :baaa: :baaa:

Sorry just wrote a long reply which dissapeared before i posted.I will re-post in a day or two.In the meantime do not buy that Mondeo.

Interested in what you have to say mate.