Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina Steering Rack Rebuild

greyskull2

Hi, Has anyone ever rebuilt the steering rack on a Carina? I have traced the leak on mine to the nearside rack seal ( the seal on the main hydraulic unit containing the serrated rack).

The problem is now that I have removed the track rod end and bellows, I have an inner ball joint unit to remove and I can't suss out how to remove it. There is a small drilling to the side of it but I dont know what is inside it. Once this is removed I am intending to remove the circlip and boss to gain access to the seal which costs £6 from Toyota.

I have spent enough on this car that has punished me with big bills for oxygen sensors, cambelt follower and immobiliser faults so I intend to do this on the cheap.

Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks :help:

What you describe sounds a similar design to the MR2 power steering rack. A schematic of this is available by download via here:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=80372.html

Under the sub-heading 'Steering' or go straight to page SR-38 onwards. It looks like you require a 'Special Service Tool' to remove the ball joint. Anyway it might give you an idea.

Good luck

What you describe sounds a similar design to the MR2 power steering rack. A schematic of this is available by download via here:

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewtopic/t=80372.html

Under the sub-heading 'Steering' or go straight to page SR-38 onwards. It looks like you require a 'Special Service Tool' to remove the ball joint. Anyway it might give you an idea.

Good luck

Many thanks for that - It does look similar but not identical. Having looked at the inner ball joint again, it does seem to be diy bodger-proof.

Anyone else had to tackle this type of job before, it does seem to be a common fault on ageing carinas?

• 5 months later...

Anyone else had to tackle this type of job before, it does seem to be a common fault on ageing carinas?

My Carina was purchased for the princely sum of £350 with T&T. However, her main problem was a bad power steering fluid leak. A look through her many and various bills revealed a myriad of 2nd hand parts fitted to try and "cure" the problem (steering rack, pump etc). On closer inspection, the rack that had been fitted was in very poor condition with perished rubbers so I bit the bullet and got a reconditioned rack for £220. As for other older Carina's, I'm not sure if it's a common problem. Mine is a 1994 1.6e GS.

i replaced a steering rack on my last carina due to accident damage, i got the replacement from scrap yard for £35

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links