Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1989 Twincam Corolla Brake Disc

RedNeck 92 Gti-16

I keep doing this!! AAARRRGGHHH!! My brakes, they went all grindsome and weren't working so good...

Looked and found the brake disc has cracked :crybaby:

She's a 1989 TVIS.

m_e19e6efe7440188c8c18d0f9368d2bc9.jpg

m_538dc340f7d215fb160b72c473a7df67.jpg

Help!! Does anyone know where i can get a replacement pair?

Do i need to change both sides? Is it best to fit new pads aswell, or can i get away with using the old pads? :help:

Cheers all :thumbsup:

UH.. Yeah!

Except Micks sets are £90, but he don't ship out of Ireland and Fensports are £80 plus postage :crybaby:

I was hoping for a better price, but thanks for the response. I keep cracking discs, had to replace one on the GT4 recently. Still with loads of life. Except the crack!! Can anybody suggest any remedies?

Thanks again, all help here appreciated :P

When fitting new discs (always in pairs !!!) always new pads at same time!

In 1995 my first/original set were well rusted up and pads worn down at 6 year old and 50,000 mile. Fitted genuine Toyota pads and pattern part discs from local motorfactors (genuine discs at time were going to be £200 pair !!! - thankfully prices have come down a bit!), now approching 100,000 mile and same discs and pads are still on 12 year later and no signs of discs rusting and pads are at half thickness.

Reason for my initial wearing down I think was due to sticking calipers ...

...which now brings me to my question to you - are your calipers stick/handbrake sticking etc?

...and are you running 'performance/motorsport/ etc, etc. pads?

These can decrease life of the disc. An example of this I came across recently was on a certain 'prodrive' tuned car (of other Japanese manufacture) that had 'prodrive' pads fitted - after 21,000 mile of driving the pads had hardly worn but the discs - well cut into!

Just a thought.

As for performance discs (if you've thought about 'em) -

Grooved - fine

Cross drilled - no way ...those I have seen shattered/cracking on a number of cases!

Get yourself down to a local motor factors they should be able to provide you with a set of disks for half the price of Fensport. As your car is a TVIS it will have the smaller front disks (assuming it is the front that need replacing) and these are a lot cheaper than the non TVIS ones.

You should always change the disks as a pair and the pads too. As for pads Toyota ones are good they may be a bit more expensive than other ones out there on the market but work well. It may be an idea to find ADL Blueprint parts as these are the parts that are actually used by Toyota as OEM parts.

If your still struggling you could buy online from

http://www.brakesint.co.uk/

You definately need to look at freeing up your calipers as the disks should not break easily or regularly.

Good luck :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

BENDIX!!

£62. Front discs including pads.... Not bad, from my local motorfactor. Friction Linings

The calipers weren't seized, but on closer inspection, i couldn't beleive my eyes. What had started life, on my 1989 TVIS GTi as, 238 dia 18mm discs, had been worn down. By a series of neglectant owners. They'd only ever changed the pads.

To my absolute amazement. The discs had been worn to a measley and very scary 3-4mm..

Having driven the Corolla Gti, for the first time many years ago, i distinctly remember being very impressed by its excellent brakes,(previously had only driven mini's, mind). :crybaby:

So there you go. Keep an eye on things.. It could get dangerous!!

Changing from totally worn down. 3mm bendy, warped, vinyl look discs and flat metal pads. To nice an fresh 18mm and new pads. Is a good thing..

What surprised me though, aside from the brakes working much better, straight away, before they'd even bedded in!! Was the cars balance and weighting, around the hub. On driving, i was suprised it could make so much difference to the hub area's balance, much more solid, and positive feedback from the front end, but on reflection. Its been a bit of a voyage into the shakey world of being, very badly out of balance.

A badly worn set of discs and pads, will unbalance the wheels and hubs, resulting in wobble and shake. Not to mention ***** poor braking..

Lesson learnt.. :eek: Easily forgot. FOOL :thumbsup:

Thanks to all, Brad

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links