Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

'indicator On' Noise Level

mike787

Hi, well I've got my brand new D4D. The difference between this one and the wife's 02 plate D4D is amazing. Top marks Toyota.

One gripe though, the noise level of the 'clicking', to advise the indicator is activating is very low. So much so, that if any music is playing, it cannot be heard. With no music, it is bearly audible. Aleady, I've found myself driving along, unaware the indicators are still on. Is this normal? (The noise level, not driving along with the indicators flashing!) I do not wear driving gloves!!

Do other owners find the same?

OK the repeater light are flashing away on the binnacle, but that is out of the normal line of sight and unless you look away from the road ahead after each turn, then they are very easily missed.

I guess I'll just have to not make my lines from the exit off roundabouts etc so smooth in future!

Hi, well I've got my brand new D4D. The difference between this one and the wife's 02 plate D4D is amazing. Top marks Toyota.

One gripe though, the noise level of the 'clicking', to advise the indicator is activating is very low. So much so, that if any music is playing, it cannot be heard. With no music, it is bearly audible. Aleady, I've found myself driving along, unaware the indicators are still on. Is this normal? (The noise level, not driving along with the indicators flashing!) I do not wear driving gloves!!

Do other owners find the same?

OK the repeater light are flashing away on the binnacle, but that is out of the normal line of sight and unless you look away from the road ahead after each turn, then they are very easily missed.

I guess I'll just have to not make my lines from the exit off roundabouts etc so smooth in future!

Hello Mike, I am glad that you like your new Yaris.

I will ignore the above attempt at humour (which I personally feel is in poor taste) and confirm that the indicator relay on my New Yaris (56 plate) is not as loud as the relay on my previous Phase 2 T3 (54 plate)

Short of locating the indicator relay and attaching some form of soundboard to it I feel that there is very little that can be done about increasing the volume.

I have learned to live with mine and have become accustomed to checking my binnacle lights after every roundabout as this is the only time that the indicators do not self cancel.

It may be worthwhile asking your Toyota dealer if they can provide a practical solution.

Good luck, let us know if you get any success :thumbsup:

iv found that aswell i cant hear my indicator if my music is up, and it doesnt even have to be high not to hear it. doesnt bother me cos i havnt yet left it on although my car seems to have a problem clicking the indicator off after a left hand turn :S

You could have an auto electrician wire up a buzzer, which are used on some commercial vehicles, but IMHO, this is a bit of overkill, it's likely to be too noisy. The alternative would be an additional flashing light somewhere on the dash

Kingo :thumbsup:

You could have an auto electrician wire up a buzzer, which are used on some commercial vehicles, but IMHO, this is a bit of overkill, it's likely to be too noisy. The alternative would be an additional flashing light somewhere on the dash

Agreed. I have a 2006 D4D and its the first car I have ever had this problem with. Either the noise or the light(or both) should be more conspicuous. Great wee car nonetheless.

When I had towing electrics fitted there was a repeater buzzer with adjustable sound level in the indicator circuit.This works when the trailer is hitched or when solo.May be available from caravan or car electrics suppliers.

Thanks welshphil, that is a good idea, will look into that a bit deeper. Lateral thinking. There is a caravan retailer just around the corner.

In my occupation I've driven many cars, some have really positive audio alerts, others quite poor. Each driver to their own personal choice. If it is going to make a noise, I think, 'best it can be heard, (without the use of a hearing aid), otherwise why bother to make it audible?' The dealer agreed with me but couldn't offer a fix. Yes there are the repeater lamps in the binnacle, however I find them to be just to the outer extremities of my periferal vision. It's only a very small gripe with a car which I am very happy with, even at such an early stage in ownership. I'll pay a visit to the caravan dealer but I won't be going as far as fitting the tow bar, let alone buying a caravan. Not for me!

On the satisfaction survey form I made comment about the minor matter, just to give Toyota honest feedback. You never know what the next model may have fitted.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links