Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis Hid Lights -- Easy To Fit?

trevor166

Hi

I have a 2007 Avensis D4d and I'm dissapointed by the quality of the headlights.

I've read in the forum about fitting HID headlamp bulbs and am wondering how easy they are to fit. Kits are available on eBay. Is much wiring needed, and also is there room behind the headlamp unit on the Avensis for what seems like some extra equipment? I presume they are just fitted to the main beam lights, or are 2 sets required one for dip and one for main beam?

Also I've been trying to figure out how to ajust the beam angle but can't figure it out so any advice would be welcome. The dealer says they are set correctly but I think they are too low. THey are cetainly well lower than my wife's peugeot which passes its MOT every year and doesn't dazzle anyone.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

I fitted HID's to mine a month or 2 ago.

It was a pain of a job but worth it in the end :D (I didn't need to remove the bumper as some say you have to). There's no extra wiring required, other than 2 ballast units and the wiring that comes with the kit.

If you wanted to do the High beam as well you would need 2 kits as they use different bulbs.

Good luck with it and if you need any specific advice feel free to ask

• 2 years later...

First time I did it I scrapped the knuckles off myself. Then one of the bulbs blew, and I took it out for a while. When I replaced the bulb and put it all back in it only took a few minutes really.

I did my 2003 Avensis about 11 months ago for the same reason as you and it was pretty easy to do. Took about 2 hours in all. The kit I used required me to cut a hole in the rear of the headlamp back cover. This allows the HID bulb and wiring to fit through and is sealed with a grommet (supplied). You need a circular cutter about 3/4" in diameter (your kit will tell you). The ballast boxes just fit wherever in the engine bay away from heat. I had to tape the near-side one to the air-filter box. I have a friendly MOT station who doesn't require me to replace the HID bulbs with the original ones, which another MOT station required me to do, and as long as they are within beam limits they pass. There was no soldering to do with the kit I got. Good luck and enjoy the light!

I've fitted some in my 2010 Avensis all went fairly smooth. They are well worth while I got mine from hids4u theres loads of discount codes kicking about on the net for upto 25% discount

I wouldn't bother fitting any HID kits now, I thought about it myself but the MOT laws are changing next year meaning all DIY HID kits will cause the car to fail the test.

I wouldn't bother fitting any HID kits now, I thought about it myself but the MOT laws are changing next year meaning all DIY HID kits will cause the car to fail the test.

Exactly my thoughts and I think a few of our friends may well have trouble in the future :angry:

I've fitted some in my 2010 Avensis all went fairly smooth. They are well worth while I got mine from hids4u theres loads of discount codes kicking about on the net for upto 25% discount

Where did you fit your Ballasts and Igniter's mate? I fitted mine at the weekend and actually fitted everything inside the headlight, the 2010 headlight has a cavernous interior and I used some 3M trim tape to secure them to the inner base of the light unit, it means I can keep the headlight caps on nice and tight without worrying about cable routing. The Avensis projector lamps work well with HIDS with virtually no beam scatter, no headlamp cleaners or self levelling system of course but I have a fairly sensible 35W 4300K ones.

I have the 2010 avensis and think the lights are pretty good, certaily much much better than my Jaguar estate on dipped and the main beam is superb.

they are not as good as HID obviously as having driven cars with these lights they are way better but as of yet the lights i have at moment are as good as most on dipped although my wifes aygo seems even better but that could be imagination as i have rarely driven it in the dark.

I have the 2010 avensis and think the lights are pretty good....

I agree with you, the lights of the current Avensis are very adequate and I would not spend money on upgrading them unless I had to change a bulb and decided to fit a higher wattage.

I have owned two cars with HID lights and I do prefer them but given that the forthcoming change in the MOT rules mean a retro fit will make the car fail I suggest such work is a recipe for disaster :crybaby:

I have the 2010 avensis and think the lights are pretty good....

I agree with you, the lights of the current Avensis are very adequate and I would not spend money on upgrading them unless I had to change a bulb and decided to fit a higher wattage.

I have owned two cars with HID lights and I do prefer them but given that the forthcoming change in the MOT rules mean a retro fit will make the car fail I suggest such work is a recipe for disaster :crybaby:

If you fit a higher wattage bulb, you run the risk of burning the plastic light unit with the extra heat generated, I had my kit carried over from my Gen 3 Prius and it took around 20 minutes to do on the Avensis. Mine should be going before it needs an MOT all being well, and the HID kit will come out.

It's a point well made though, for anyone approaching an MOT

As an after-market HID user I take the points made about the MOT changes next year. However the standard lights on my Avensis were dangerously dull, even after I had installed so-called brighter bulbs. I think the reason that the after market HID failure is coming into play is an EU thing, probably caused by motor manufacturers lobying the EU so that they can charge £500-£1,000 for Xenon/HID as a factory fit option, but the reason given is that after-market HIDs dazzle oncoming traffic. Bo**ocks, because I've never been flashed by oncoming traffic, nor dazzled by after-market HIDs, but I have been dazzled by non-HID bulbs.

Easy solution is to take them out though! its only a 20 min job at most and put them back in post MOT! ive got 3 years to wait till I need to do mine so i am not to worried and they do look fantastic when you look at even Night Breakers

• 3 weeks later...

Nice discussion....

Just wondering if anybody likes to share the link / sources which reports on changes of MOT testing and failure of MOT coz of after market HIDs.

Cheers,

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links