Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Carina High Pitched Squeeling Coming From Engine?

russ.gower

Hi, I've just bought a 1995 Carina 1.6 GS. It has not been driven since October and it has started squeeling at idle from the engine. Doesn't seem to be coming from any belt so what else could it be?

Everything else seems ok on it, any advise on things to check on it before I go on a 250 mile run back home after buying it seeing its been standing for a while,

thanks

Russ

If you are SURE it's not a belt......

My old Carina E had a noisy power steering pulley bearing. Periodically I would need to drip some oil on the shaft between the pulley wheel and pump housing.

Could be this??

Water pump maybe? though 99% of the time a squealing noise is caused by a slipping a belt.

Keep an eye out for loss of coolant, because if it is the water pump it'll probably start leaking soon.

Thanks for the replies,

its not a belt for sure the noise is more like a ear piercingly loud whistle, I've checked over everywhere and can't seem to find the problem, although today, I though the sound was coming from the inlet manifold.... is it possible to make this sound? I can't see any hole it it or any leak etc... Could a dodgy inlet manifold gasket cause this sound??? and if so surely i'd see some evidence that this was the problem...

Forgot to mention this sound only starts happening once the car is at normal operating temperature and seems to stop when the throttle is opened, I've cleaned the throttle body and checked the air intake hoses for leaks etc..

• 4 months later...

Hello,

I own a 1998 Corolla with the 4AFE engine ( I believe it is the 2nd generation of 4AFE engines) which has exactly the same issue as described above; with an engine operating at normal temperature, there is a high pitched squeel comming from the intake manifold.

Have you found the cause of the problem?

best regards,

Ronald van Dijk

• 10 months later...
Hello,

I own a 1998 Corolla with the 4AFE engine ( I believe it is the 2nd generation of 4AFE engines) which has exactly the same issue as described above; with an engine operating at normal temperature, there is a high pitched squeel comming from the intake manifold.

Have you found the cause of the problem?

best regards,

Ronald van Dijk

I have the same problem with my 95 Carina.

My mechanic replaced the inlet manifold gasket but the whistling noise is still there.

Did you fix your problem?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links