Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ewwww Whats This?

Calisto

On the inside at the top of my engine oil cap there appears to be a slight thin layer of gunk, creamy/white in colour. :( cleans out very easily.

Anyone know what this is??

And do I need a new car ? :rolleyes:

On the inside at the top of my engine oil cap there appears to be a slight thin layer of gunk, creamy/white in colour. :( cleans out very easily.

Anyone know what this is??

And do I need a new car ? :rolleyes:

Hello.

Yes I do know what it is and it means that your head gasket is leaking water into the engine, you need to have a head gasket change done on the engine.

Bob

Woah, hold on there.

It may mean that, but in the absence of other symptoms, it may not; especially as you've said 'slight' gunk.

Mayonnaise can develop without HGF, particularly if you're doing lots of short journeys without getting the engine up to temperature.

I'd wait and see whether it develops further, or indeed clears up once the weather improves and you use the car more.

Hope for the best, but be prepared for possibility that it is something more serious.

Good luck.

I was getting slighty worried at Bobs reply but decided to hang fire until further input lol.

This can occur with cheap oils too! Cheap oils don't contain the same detergents and polymers as more branded oils (you get what you pay for) especially when combined with cold days and short journeys

Don't rush into changing the head gasket just yet, there are lots of options to try out first

Kingo :thumbsup:

okies, I do use cheap all -_- but at least I do put some in !!!!

It looks as iof I am going to have to wait and see if anything happens but what could happen ???

It looks as iof I am going to have to wait and see if anything happens but what could happen ???

The original prognosis could be correct - in which case you will need new Head Gasket, and if that is what's developing then probably better doing it sooner rather than later.

Keep an eye on it and see if it gets betterer or worserer and whether you get any overheating for example which could be another sign of HGF.

You could also have the engine compression tested, but personally I wouldn't bother with that just yet.

I have only only noticed the gunk there for the past 3 months or so.....does not get any worse or better, car does not over heat, runs sweet as a nut.

I will clean it out and see how long it takes to come back? if at all.

Thanks for the replys.

My pulse rate is just about back to normal!!!

Im sure you would never fail to check the oil level on any car again las... afetr the last time.. :rolleyes: :P

It's most probably because of short ferquent journeys. I wouldn't be suprised if I had it as I'm only a mile from my work.

What you could do in the short term is get the engine flushed out and do an oil change useing a good quality oil... good quality oils don't neccessasseccassarlly mean expensive.

cheap oil + short journeys can cause this

as can a little bit of condensation at the cap

keep an eye on it... check she isnt losing water and might be a good idea to do an oil change with decent stuff at some point :)

lend it to me I can rack up 100 miles a day on it for ya :D

was gonna make pants joke about someone maybe just REALLY likes ur engine, but i wont ...lol, i will go back to th eaygo forum now :lol2:

was gonna make pants joke about someone maybe just REALLY likes ur engine, but i wont ...lol, i will go back to th eaygo forum now :lol2:

Please do !!! :D

Please do !!! :D

You see Ash, Kitt and yourself are famous across all the TOC forums :thumbsup: ;)

Quite possible just condensation - Keep an eye on the Oil dipstick if this gets creamy oil showing then there's cause for concern.. :unsure:

Rash

Yup seen this before on 3S cars... infrequent use, sort trips and damp weather... wipe it off, ideally an oil change with decent oil.....

-And give it a good blast!!!

Thanks for the replys!!!!

All is ok in the world of Kiya, thanks to the help of JJ and Dave :thumbsup: ..all fluid levels spot on (not that they were low at all) :shutit:

Headlight adjustments screws replaced and headlights aligned :thumbsup: Headlamp connector is being ordered (the old one has melted)

No mayonnaise :thumbsup:

Kiya is clean and waxed!

Get a sniffer test run on it, it will sho wether you have H.G failure or not. they dont cost too much

Its all fine now, no mayo what so ever, alllllll gone !!!!!

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. :group-cuddles:

Ash.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links