Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Weird Wiper

Jimlad

wiper.jpg

I just picked up some new wipers from Toyota today. But as you can see from the pic one has a spoiler on it. Only the one for some reason.... any ideas why ??

The bloke assured me that the passenger one isn't supposed to.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimlad

• ZeroBlade

• Bibbs

• JappyBeast

sposed to have a spoiler.. at high speeds it pushes the wiper to the window and stops juddering.

Yeh it's common for the drivers side ot only have the spoiler. Also the drivers side is 20cm as opposed to 19 for the passengers, bit weird when i heard that but its spec.

As far as spoilers go they dont really seem to stop judder at high speeds, well my Bosch & Halfords jobbies didn't. Gonna have to order official Toyota ones...

I want it to rain !!!

I'm about to drive down to my parents house very fast... wanna test these babys out !!

Matt....

didn't actually need those bits you sent me.. weird. The blades can supposedly either screw straight onto the arms, or those bits you sent me. The ones I got bolt straight onto the wiper arms.... oh well... could come in handy in the future.

The bit where the screws goes, is it made outa metal? Cos u can get some that are made outa plastic and they're pap.

Being Toyota one's i'd assume they're metal.

It's all down to the curveture of the windscreen, the drivers side will generate lift under the actual wiper arm so therefore the deflector will generate downforce, holding it onto the screen and as the airflow is directly on to the nearside blade itself any deflector is not neccessary

wiper.jpg

I just picked up some new wipers from Toyota today. But as you can see from the pic one has a spoiler on it. Only the one for some reason.... any ideas why ??

The bloke assured me that the passenger one isn't supposed to.

hi jimlad

i have just registered on the site, and i saw your pics of your motor. it looks great, i read that you have 280bhp and would like to know what a mr2 turbo is at bhp standard. I have just imported one about 3 weeks ago, and all i have done is de-restricted it and given it a respray. I have read that they are 200bhp, 220, 240, and that the later models where 250bhp so you can see why i ani't to sure.

Thanks sporty

Hrm, jimlads r1 ' stock would be pumping about 225. Say +10 for his exhaust, de-cat, aussie dwnpipe. 235. Induction kit... +2(?)

That'l give about 237.

No idea what gains the chip gives, can it be as much as +-40 bhp?

Wanna help me out here jimlad, i'm sure u've had other things done to ur motor rite?

-Z

Most the power comes from upping the boost .. and that is were the filter and exhaust don't add BHP - but they don't rob the car of BHP like the stock ones would.

The early MR2's were 225 PS (~220 bhp) .. but that is on good fuel and a new engine.

When mine came over from Japan it was 10 years old .. had a large exhaust and HKS airfilter. With a slightly tired actuator and on a hot day - 191BHP (fly wheel).

After replacing the actuator with a G-Valve set to .9 bar I mad 219bhp and 260 ft/lb until the clutch let go.

I've since had a uprated clutch, lightened flywheel, better exhaust and air filter. And will be soring the WI kit and upping the boost to 17psi.

I'm off on a dyno day next weekend so you'll see my BHP after all these mods.

I was gonna put about boost, but couldnt remember if jimlad had done ne mods like that.

However saying that, with a performance exhaust + air filter is there no gain in power?

I understand the bit about not limiting the engines power w. performace over stock, but i woulda thought it made a big difference to the cars power.

On mine w. my exhaust knackered the power decreased significantly... but that could just be the exhaust limiting the engine rather than adding to it... :unsure:

On a side note bibbs, i mite need a new engine sooner than i thought due to possible worn bearings :(

-Z

A filter and exhaust - I'd expect to see about 10 bhp .. but you'll also have a slight increase in boost that I think accounts for the bhp hike.

It's been seen on most Max Muppet Euro Boxes that a filter decreases bhp due to sucking in hot air .. but yout Butt Dyno* says it's faster.

Sorry to hear your engine may be on the way out .. but on the good side you know where to go about getting a nice rev3 one dropped in .. :thumbsup:

*Butt Dyno - the feeling through your a*se, after you have a new exhaust, that makes your car seem like it's 200 bhp better off.

It's been seen on most Max Muppet Euro Boxes that a filter decreases bhp due to sucking in hot air .. but yout Butt Dyno* says it's faster.

I think thats due to the placement of the filter or air intake. If its properly placed it shouldnt suck in hot air should it?

And the Butt Dyno is an awsome measurement, best thing is its free, BONUS! :D

Sorry to hear your engine may be on the way out .. but on the good side you know where to go about getting a nice rev3 one dropped in ..  :thumbsup:

Black beams here I come!!!...

And Debt and HUGE overdraft here I come!!! wheeee....

:D

think thats due to the placement of the filter or air intake. If its properly placed it shouldnt suck in hot air should it?

Car manufacturers go to great lengths to make sure the car gets cold air into the engine and good filtering for clean air. We then fork out 100 quid, rip all this off, put on something that is in the wrong place and doesn't filter as good and makes a load of noise.

I've heard that you only need to have an easier flowing airfilter over 350 bhp .. and there are not many MR2's out there which are puching that ..

And the Butt Dyno is an awsome measurement, best thing is its free, BONUS!

And it's great for pub boasting figures.

Black beams here I come!!!...

I which I had the cash for the R&D and the engine .. :crybaby:

Car manufacturers go to great lengths to make sure the car gets cold air into the engine and good filtering for clean air.

While that's true, they also have to adhere to to basic settings fo the everyday driver. Points to look at are:

Greater Filtration - Maybe true cos not all drivers bother with changing the air filter regularly or maintaing it. Whereas enthusiasts wanna keep it all in good nick and do maintin it.

More cold Air: Surely a direct feed of air is colder than the air passed thoruhg a stock sytem?

i only have to think back to my stock and remember ripping all that crap out and replacing it w a single flexi tube.

And the noise is just a bonus :)

I which I had the cash for the R&D and the engine ..  :crybaby:

Truth be told i don't have the cash or that. But debts gonna have be done :crybaby:

Just drop a Rev3 in there for the time being .. and then get a black top head and get it worked on while you have the time/cash.

How much would that set me back tho?

I'm assuming u mean n/a aswell, cos i don't wanna turbo this thing remember.

Need to speak to Matt .. but a rev3 engine in yours .. and then do the black top head when you have the dosh ..

Jimlad doesnt really have 280bhp!

If he has then I'm running 170bhp with my airfilter! <_<

15PSI boost.... performance exhaust, performance downpipe, Air filter, chipped...... .

roughly 280bhp (estimated)... you know nothing N/A boy. I'll be doing more performance wise next year, possibly bigger turbo etc... then it'll be more. Or will you say it's only 230bhp or something ?? .. lol