Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mpg - Fuel Consumption

tiggy

Hi,

I've had my Yaris for a couple of weeks (1.0 T Spirit 2003). I reset the mpg trip meter and so far over 300 miles it has a reading of 33 mpg. It's been mainly town driving, some short journeys (less than 5 miles) and a couple of longer ones. Is this about right for the 1.0? I thought it's a bit low, My 1.8 MX-5 returns over 30mpg

Today I travelled home with 63.7 (or was it 53.7, 5.2l/100km anyways) which is lower than my average of something mpg (5.6-6 l/100km)

Sorry if I don't solely use your mpg units but SI units ftw. :P

30mpg is way low, concidering my 5.2 litres of gas per 100 km travelled is with a cold start (snow n ***** up here)

*edit: driving -99 1.0 Yaris

*edit2: according to http://www.convertworld.com/en/fuel_consumption/ today I drove with 54.32 british mpg, and normally around 47.08-50.44 british mpg

Today I travelled home with 63.7 (or was it 53.7, 5.2l/100km anyways) which is lower than my average of something mpg (5.6-6 l/100km)

30mpg is way low, concidering my 5.2 litres of gas per 100 km travelled is with a cold start (snow n ***** up here)

i got lost before the first set of brackets. didnt understand a word!

i got lost before the first set of brackets. didnt understand a word!

Is my English that bad? Check out edit2 for the quoted reply :)

Our old mk 1 1.0 gs used to get 40-50 mpg... Think you may need a service there, or at least a new air filter maybe.

To get an accurate mpg figure you will have to find out how many miles to a tank of fuel you get. I wouldn’t take the trip metre figure as gospel.

This can be done by dividing the amount of miles to the amount of gallons you have used after you fill up.

There are calculations on here on how to do it (one is from me)

To get an accurate mpg figure you will have to find out how many miles to a tank of fuel you get. I wouldn’t take the trip metre figure as gospel.

This can be done by dividing the amount of miles to the amount of gallons you have used after you fill up.

I've calculated the mpg figure and it comes out at 33 ish across the 2 fill ups I've done. This seems very low for a little 1 litre car.

I've calculated the mpg figure and it comes out at 33 ish across the 2 fill ups I've done. This seems very low for a little 1 litre car.

Tiggy, it does seem a bit juicy. As an aside the MPG meter on my W reg 1.0 vvti (63000 miles) when compared to my own calculations after a fill up is correct to with 1/10th.

Anyhow, when I first got my car (50000 miles) I got about 47 MPG over a daily commute of 30 miles M'way and 20 miles stop-start town and a weekend of stop-start. After a DIY service the MPG crept up gradually over a period of 3 or 4 tankfuls to 53-54MPG for the same journey. Over the last couple of months it has slipped back gradually to its current 49-50. I assume as the new plugs and filter are getting a bit grotty it's having an effect. Someone also told me that with the increased use of the electrics over the winter months (heater/lights/wipers etc) that can have a small effect, but i'm not too sure about that one.

I'd certainly check your plugs and filter and take it from there.

like they've said, it certainly depends on what type of journey you're doing. I went from Leeds straight down to kent, mostly motorways, a journey of around 200 miles in a 1ltr yaris and used barely half a tank of fuel! The journey took about 6 hrs due to traffic problems, and there were no stops either!! Amazing little car.

Once, I managed to get from kent to norfolk only using 1 bar on the petrol guage (sry, didn't look at mpg at the time, was just amazed that i did it traveling at 80mph all the way!)

My miles per gallon trip often said that I was doing an average of 40 - 55 miles to the gallon, so pretty good in general. Though on short journeys this was reduced to around 30 - 35 to the gallon.

I was getting around 37mpg on the 1.3 and that scared me recently, but then I had been using it for short trips especially over Christmas and the route I took to get to work was partly on a dual carriageway but involved a lot of braking due to the weight of traffic. I thought that there must've been a problem, until I went d'uh and realised that the short trips meant the car was running cold and not getting a full workout (as such). So, we had to go on the M25 and A10 to get to my Brothers in Hertfordshire and what happened? The MPG went to around 42mph and now I'm back to using the M25 pretty much everyday and not so many short stop and start journeys it's fine.

So take a good long run on the dual carriageway or motorway - see how much it improves that way.

how do you get the mpg thing on the car? all my things are in kilometres mibbe im doing something wrong?

help would be appreciated

Kerry x

how do you get the mpg thing on the car? all my things are in kilometres mibbe im doing something wrong?

help would be appreciated

Kerry x

Might have been updated but you press Mode, then the "next track" until you reach l/100km and then press the up/down buttons to get mpg or km/l etc.

Hi,

I've had my Yaris for a couple of weeks (1.0 T Spirit 2003). I reset the mpg trip meter and so far over 300 miles it has a reading of 33 mpg. It's been mainly town driving, some short journeys (less than 5 miles) and a couple of longer ones. Is this about right for the 1.0? I thought it's a bit low, My 1.8 MX-5 returns over 30mpg

h! The age old problem of a small car not being economical!

Often, a slightly bigger engine is better for economy as the engine is doing less work to pull the vehicle and it's contents.

Also, if you drive very gently you get better mileage than if you tear around like a bat out of hell.

In town, if you travel at below 30.. Say 20-ish, you are just throwing fuel away, especially if you are in stop-start traffic all the time.

Most cars are at their best gas-mileage at around 40-50 and then being driven by a nun with helium slippers on! Also, the dash computers on these cars are just a reflection of use. not a genuine accurate gauge, a bit like sat nav, it tells you how long a journey will take but it is a guess, based on average speed ans can be adjusted by the user to closer reflect their driving habits. (Unlike the trip computer).

Aside from my Yaris, the most economical car I have had to date, was a 2L Mercedes 190E AUto. It was sooooo under-stressed that the engine was hardly bothered but also, it used 2nd gear to pull away, unless you wellied it. Again, for economy reasons. Made it a comfy ride, too!

it depends how you drive it, how long the journey is, what type of roads is it on, bendy, hilly etc

you would get a different amount of mpg used each journey.

with regard to the average mpg function on the computer, i dont think your supposed to just leave it forever and never reset it. it wouldnt be accurate then. you need to reset it before each journey or something to get the average for that journey i think.

i dont know, i just reset my trip meter when i fill up and then see how many miles ive done by next time i run out. i get about 40-43 mpg probably depending on whether i make a load of short journeys or motorway ones or whatever.

Our old mk 1 1.0 gs used to get 40-50 mpg... Think you may need a service there, or at least a new air filter maybe.

Yeah, my mk1 1.0 GS used to get about 39 but that was with a bit of abuse

02 plate 1.0 yaris, 52.3 mpg, this includes every road condition, 2mile trip to work and back every day

02 plate 1.0 yaris, 52.3 mpg, this includes every road condition, 2mile trip to work and back every day

1.3 SR roughly 7 miles a day all town driving and my computer thing reads 42.5 MPG

Our 2000 1.0 CDX has averaged 44.1 mpg over 7 years and 60,000 miles since new.

It does about 42mpg on 80 mph motorway trips and has only ever dropped between 40mpg per tankful once or twice when the whole tankful was used in stop-start city driving.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links